"Marvel's What If?" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
3/12: Slash Film reports an animated series based on the "What If?" comic book series is in the works for the Disney+ streaming service. Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios are overseeing production and the stories would supposedly not be canon with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

EDIT 4/11: "What If" Animated Series confirmed for Disney+.
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige teased, "What if Peggy Carter was the one who became a super soldier?"
"Marvel’s What If…?," the first animated series from Marvel Studios and takes inspiration from the comic books of the same name. Each episode will explore a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and turn it on its head, leading the audience into uncharted territory.
Feige mentioned the first episode would explore what if Peggy Carter was given the super soldier serum and Steve Rogers had stayed a scrawny kid who joined the fight in an armored suit designed by Howard Stark.

whatif_card.jpg
Marvel Studios "What If...?"
Release date
: August 11, 2021 (on Disney+)

Comments?
Stay tuned for further updates!

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Thinking about it some more, I wonder if this might be related to those "Spider-Man Specials" that were reported to be on-going at Marvel Animation. I kind of doubt each episode of the anthology will feature Spidey, though.

Frontier

Staff member
A "What If" cartoon has the potential to be really interesting depending on how they handle it. I'm kind of reminded of the Machinima shorts for Justice League: Gods and Monsters :).

I wonder if they'll use the format as a means of bringing back certain properties/VA's? Maybe we could hear Josh Keaton as Spidey or the rest of the Earth's Mightiest Heroes VA's again :D?

Also, does all Marvel content on Disney+ have to go through Kevin Feige now :p?

Hopefully it's animated well :sweat:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wanted to see an animated anthology series forever. I would have even taken a miniseries. I was thinking more along the lines of something like Marvel Comics Presents but if this What If? thing is real, they can seriously have all of my money. It looks like the service is being done under Marvel Studios too? I'm guessing it is if Feige is overseeing it.

Some of my first comics were What Ifs. I still remember being about 4 or 5 years old and looking through my cousin's issue of What If The Hulk Went Berserk and it's blown my mind since then. I always had a lot of love for the What If series. It was one of the things that first made me get on board with Next Avengers when that was being done. There's so much potential to explore every corner of the Marvel universe that we haven't seen in animation or live-action as yet and I love that. I really hope this is real.

Having both Disney + and Kevin Feige tied to this makes me hope that the animation is stellar. They've got to come correct, right?
Thinking about it some more, I wonder if this might be related to those "Spider-Man Specials" that were reported to be on-going at Marvel Animation. I kind of doubt each episode of the anthology will feature Spidey, though.
I'd be down for a proper Marvel Team-Up series.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I wanted to see an animated anthology series forever. I would have even taken a miniseries. I was thinking more along the lines of something like Marvel Comics Presents but if this What If? thing is real, they can seriously have all of my money. It looks like the service is being done under Marvel Studios too? I'm guessing it is if Feige is overseeing it.]
This reminds me of how I keep wanting WB Animation to revive DC Showcase ;).

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Too bad Stan Lee can't return to host this. :(

This is also a good way to finally tie things in with the Netflix shows like the What if Jessica Jones became an Avenger issue. Or even the Civil War what ifs.

Frontier

Staff member

This is also a good way to finally tie things in with the Netflix shows like the What if Jessica Jones became an Avenger issue. Or even the Civil War what ifs.
Y'know, it would be kind of amazing if they got the Netflix cast to voice their characters interacting with the wider Marvel (Cinematic) Universe :cool:.

It would kind of be like Matt Ryan's Constantine in Justice League Dark ;).

Freddy

I always thought that instead of the meaningless "preludes", Marvel should have done one-shot What if issues as their MCU tie-in comics. One what if? - scenario that I have always wanted to see is "What if The Avengers had lost the battle of New York?" It would be fun to see how Loki would actually deal with being a ruler (preferably he would do something more interesting than eat grapes and make plays about himself), would HYDRA be forced to come out of the shadows to combat Loki and if Fury would form some kind of resistance.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

He was practically one of the Watchers in GOTG 2, so it definitely would have been fitting. If they use a host, I'd like to see Uatu or maybe Coulsen. It really is a shame that we won't see another animated Stan but he did go out with a bang.

In 2018, he was a Disney superhero, in a DC theatrical movie and also in the best animated movie of the year.

bigdaddy313

This show if true should work wonders, I'll like to see What if MCU's Fantastic Four and the X-Men where at the beginning of the world building.

Kevin Feige was an executive producer on Wolverine & the X-Men and Iron Man Armoured Adventures which where great series, so I trust the production 100%.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
This show if true should work wonders, I'll like to see What if MCU's Fantastic Four and the X-Men where at the beginning of the world building.

Kevin Feige was a executive producer on Wolverine & the X-Men and Iron Man Armoured Adventures which where great series, so I trust the production 100%.
Didn't know of that. I guess that's before the Marvel Entertainment/Marvel Studios separation after the Disney buyout.

Frontier

Staff member
Y'know, I really hope this series has a theme song, but given the premise I think this is probably more justified for just using a title card and instrumental theme like the other Marvel cartoons...or maybe they could do a "What If" riff on the MCU intro ;)?

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
That might be a possibility, especially since the LEGO Spidey special coming this year isn't produced by Marvel Animation (if I'm correct on that).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was thinking they might do something similar to Super Hero Squad Show, with comic book cover-like artwork for the episode titles.
I was a big fan of those so I'd appreciate that. Especially if they did something like take a classic cover or a classic what if cover and redo it with the animated character style of the show.

I'm curious what the tone of the show will be like. The original What If? series was always very much like The Twilight Zone, and other anthologies, where something dark could happen and death could always be a factor. I've been thinking that this would be a sort of TV-PG/General Audience Show. No gore or real swearing or anything but maybe we'll have some intense moments and death but it's also something kids will be able to watch with their parents, like the MCU movies.

These reports have got me so excited for this show. I'll be pretty upset if it's not really happening. We still haven't seen a real announcement yet. Even something where we did get announcements like Deadpool, we still aren't getting that. I'd hate to get my hopes dashed. I'm looking forward to there being a few cool Marvel animated projects on Disney Plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts