"Marvel Animation on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I was thinking they might do something similar to Super Hero Squad Show, with comic book cover-like artwork for the episode titles.
I was a big fan of those so I'd appreciate that. Especially if they did something like take a classic cover or a classic what if cover and redo it with the animated character style of the show.

I'm curious what the tone of the show will be like. The original What If? series was always very much like The Twilight Zone, and other anthologies, where something dark could happen and death could always be a factor. I've been thinking that this would be a sort of TV-PG/General Audience Show. No gore or real swearing or anything but maybe we'll have some intense moments and death but it's also something kids will be able to watch with their parents, like the MCU movies.

These reports have got me so excited for this show. I'll be pretty upset if it's not really happening. We still haven't seen a real announcement yet. Even something where we did get announcements like Deadpool, we still aren't getting that. I'd hate to get my hopes dashed. I'm looking forward to there being a few cool Marvel animated projects on Disney Plus.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hulkwummy

Dec 31, 2016
I'm thinking Disney Afternoon Shows like Aladdin the Series and shows from the 2000s like Lilo and Stitch the Series. but yeah, those too.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I'm looking forward to there being a few cool Marvel animated projects on Disney Plus.
The only thing I'm a tad concerned about is that it seems like pretty much all the Marvel content on Disney+ is going to be MCU-based, even this series from the initial report, so I hope an MCU connection isn't a barometer for content on Disney+ getting approved because that could prove limiting in certain respects.

Obviously I'd hate for us to not get new (and great) cartoons based around Spider-Man or The Avengers just because they won't directly tie-in to the MCU. Ditto for the Fox properties.

Reactions: RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
For announcements, I think April 11th was rumored as a date for an investor's day event or something like that, when Marvel could reveal more about the live-action Loki series coming to Disney+ so I would imagine it'd be the best place to announce some animated projects for the streaming service as well. Comic-Con seems to focus on the Hulu series, from what I can tell.

I'm thinking Disney Afternoon Shows like Aladdin the Series and shows from the 2000s like Lilo and Stitch the Series. but yeah, those too.
There's a general Disney+ thread on the Disney/Pixar forum where you can discuss more about this. Let's keep this topic about Marvel Animation, and potentially new such shows.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
The only thing I'm a tad concerned about is that it seems like pretty much all the Marvel content on Disney+ is going to be MCU-based, even this series from the initial report, so I hope an MCU connection isn't a barometer for content on Disney+ getting approved because that could prove limiting in certain respects.

Obviously I'd hate for us to not get new (and great) cartoons based around Spider-Man or The Avengers just because they won't directly tie-in to the MCU. Ditto for the Fox properties.
I think it would be cool to probably do some MCU based episodes but I do hope that they don't base everything around that and that they really make the most use of this format. After seven years of cartoons trying not to "confuse" kids by not straying from the MCU, I hope they ditch that idea.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
For announcements, I think April 11th was rumored as a date for an investor's day event or something like that, when Marvel could reveal more about the live-action Loki series coming to Disney+ so I would imagine it'd be the best place to announce some animated projects for the streaming service as well. Comic-Con seems to focus on the Hulu series, from what I can tell.
Is there a D23 this year? Because I remember that having a lot more animated news then what we usually get out of Comic-Con :sweat:.
Whatever Marvel cartoon they have planned I hope the X-Men will star or at least make cameos in it. Regardless how I feel about them being allegory for being a minority groups, we could use more of that in our current socio-political climate.
It would be nice to see the X-Men in animation again :).

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
A What If show could be great! Hopefully it’ll be better than the Marvel cartoons they’ve been making for TV.
Wow, so that’s like the third animated series expected exclusively for the service (I’m including Legend of the Three Cabelleros).

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
A What If show could be great! Hopefully it’ll be better than the Marvel cartoons they’ve been making for TV.
Wow, so that’s like the third animated series expected exclusively for the service (I’m including Legend of the Three Cabelleros).
There's a part of me that also can't help but wonder if they might finally premier the dubs for the Avengers anime's on Disney+.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
We have What If? supposedly in the works. I still think Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur might be going to the service. If those two turn out to be real, the only other show I really wish for right now would be a new X-Men series. It's been too long for me.

I think a Moon Girl show aimed at the TV-Y crowd, X-Men for TV-Y7, and What If? for TV-PG could be a pretty cool selection of Marvel shows if they're all well done and everything, ideally. This is wishful thinking though. Disney and Marvel might have completely different offerings in mind.

I was thinking of the What If? Issue that they said would be adapted "What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?" and that got me wondering how this would be able to be based on the MCU. I just remembered that, during the first Thor movie, we saw what happens when Loki came across the hammer in SHIELD custody. He wasn't able to lift it. I've never read that issue before but I'm really curious what they're going to do here. I guess finding it doesn't mean that he necessarily needs to be able to lift it.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Kevin Feige talks about the show and the first "What If" story.
Feige also revealed the studio would be debuting its first animated series What If, which is based off of the classic comic book series which looks at key moments in Marvel history and asks, "What if things had gone differently?" It will feature voice talent from Marvel's big-screen projects, and the first episode will ask what if Peggy Carter had taken the super soldier serum, leaving Steve Rogers as a scrawny kid who eventually joins the World War II fight thanks to a metal suit made by Tony Stark's father Howard Stark.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Nice to finally have confirmation about this project.

The first story sounds decent enough. It kind of reminds me of Stargirl and STRIPE, a little. And I'm going to presume Steve's armor will use the Iron Patriot design.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I expect they'll get Hayley Atwell and Chris Evans back, but I wonder if they could get Dominic Cooper and other members of the original cast of First Avenger :)?

I could see Red Skull being Russ Marquand if he's in this.
I know this is a "What If?" story, but isn't it a bit out there for Howard Stark to be able to make a suit that Steve can use to fight in WWII? Bah. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.
Prepare for steam-powered Captain America Iron Man :p.
Nice to finally have confirmation about this project.

The first story sounds decent enough. It kind of reminds me of Stargirl and STRIPE, a little. And I'm going to presume Steve's armor will use the Iron Patriot design.
I guess I could see it using the Iron Patriot colors, if only because those are also Captain America's colors ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Given the live-action Marvel shows announced for Disney+ are supposed to be mini-series (6 or 8 episodes, I think), I wonder if this will also have a shorter amount of episodes. Or if it would be doubled if they need 6-8 hours of content for each show, since I kind of doubt the animated series will have episodes longer than 30 minutes (give or take a few minutes). Either way, I'm looking forward to this.

So we already have ideas for 2 of the episodes - Peggy Carter as Captain America, and Loki gaining Thor's hammer. Not too surprised they will focus on the big Avengers, at least at first. I imagine they will get to the likes of Spidey and a few others eventually.

Also, slightly off-topic but kind of funny - if they use the Iron Patriot armor for this Peggy & Steve story, I'm sort of reminded of how another What If?/Elseworlds project (Justice League: Gods and Monsters) was going to use a similar design for the Steel & Citizen Steel composite character, before the project was scrapped.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Given the live-action Marvel shows announced for Disney+ are supposed to be mini-series (6 or 8 episodes, I think), I wonder if this will also have a shorter amount of episodes. Or if it would be doubled if they need 6-8 hours of content for each show, since I kind of doubt the animated series will have episodes longer than 30 minutes (give or take a few minutes). Either way, I'm looking forward to this.
I could see this maybe being 10-13 episodes, give or take.

I am kind of surprised they haven't announced more cartoons for the service though. Really curious to see what they do on that front :confused:.