"Marvel Animation on Disney+" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
It might eventually come down to the merchandise sales, like it always seems to for Marvel cartoons especially Spider-Man. They're already not afraid to use a different VA or design when it's canonically supposed to be MCU based. Maybe this rationale will spread to other characters when it becomes a bigger issue with actor likenesses, etc.

*Update* 08-11

I think this is new-ish. Groot will be photo realistic? I knew knew it would be CGI, but I wouldn't have ruled out something like the old Rocket and Groot shorts. It feels like this might become their house style. At least Moon Girl will keep the 2D dream alive.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I guess with their major blockbuster franchises (Star Wars, MCU), they see CG as the way to go...

the greenman

Wasn't it announced recently that Disney will start a separate animation house for Marvel only. I'm looking forward to that based on What if?. With that and Devil Dinosaur & Moon Girl, I do have some semblance of hope.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigdaddy313

Frontier

Staff member
Marvel Studios has hired Sofia Alexander, who I believe is going to be stationed in the new animation studio.

Shot in the dark, but considering Onxy Equinox was traditional animation, I hope we get more 2D animation from Marvel Studios...

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Pretty cool to have her on board. I believe she's going to be in a leadership position again. I really enjoyed Onyx Equinox and I'm looking forward to see what she brings to the table. Though I'm also sad this means there won't be a second season or a continuation of OE.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'm not sure if there could be more 2D animation from Marvel Studios even if she has a primarily 2D background. To give an example, a lot of Disney Junior originals are CGI (most notably, the ones made by Disney Television Animation), yet many of the storyboard artists worked on a lot of the 2D Disney movies and/or TV shows from the late 1980s-early 2000s (such as Larry Leker, Jill Colbert, Francis Glebas, Hank Tucker, and Carin Anne Greco, among many others). I wouldn't be surprised if she would still work on a CGI Marvel show.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It would be amusing if they manage to squeeze in a nod to the upcoming Darkwing Duck reboot somewhere in Howard's show since the two might end up premiering together on Disney+ (again, if a Howard the Duck toon really is in the works).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts