Marvel Animation In 2021

Frontier

Staff member
Marvel Animation made a bit of a resurgence in 2021, delivering new cartoons and content from both Marvel Animation and Marvel Studios.

Spidey and his Amazing Friends

Aimed at younger audiences, Spidey and his Amazing Friends sees the classic wall-crawler (Benjamin Valic) as a young boy teaming-up with his friends Gwen Stacy/Ghost Spider (Lilly Sanfellipo) and Miles Morales/Spin (Jakari Fraser) as they thwart villains, learn life lessons, and do good alongside their friends and families.

What If:

Spinning off from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, What If features The Watcher (Jeffrey Wright) as he peers into the Multiverse and sees alternate universes and events based off of the Marvel Movies, all the while pondering the question...what if? The series is bolstered with a returning cast of MCU stars reprising their roles in animation.

M.O.D.O.K.

An adult Marvel animated series premiering on Hulu and made with stop-motion, M.O.D.O.K. chronicles the titular leader of AIM (Patton Oswalt) as he juggles his visions of world domination with trying to retain control of his organization and being there for his family.

Hit-Monkey

Based off the comic by Daniel Way and Dalibor Talajic, Hit-Monkey is an adult-animated series that follows the titular Japanese Macaques (Fred Tatasciore) as he goes on a crusade of vengeance in Japan after his tribe is killed, all the while being haunted by the spirit of a dead assassin named Bryce Fowler (Jason Sudeikis) as they both try to find peace in their new circumstances and battle criminals, assassins, and conspiracies.

Frontier

Staff member
Marvel Battleworld: Treachery at Twilight

A second installment of the Marvel Battleworld series sees the newly formed group of disparate heroes once again traveling across different worlds in Battleworld to retrieve the Infinity Stone, all the while the mischievous Loki works alongside Thanos and the heroes for his own ends.

Lego Marvel Avengers: Loki in Training

A new Lego Marvel series that premiered this year saw the God of Mischief and erstwhile Thor/Avenger foe Loki try to join The Avengers, all the while hiding the incoming major threat on its way to Earth that is looking for him.

So, what are your feelings towards Marvel Animation in 2021?

What were your highlights/favorites of the year?

What disappointed you?

What do you hope for from Marvel Animation in the future in terms of their products or the quality of their productions?

What are you looking forward to from Marvel Animation going into 2022?

Last edited:

SweetShop209

I haven't checked it out too much, so I'll say that Spidey And His Amazing Friends and the recent Lego material were pretty good. My most anticipated Marvel show is Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur.

What do you hope for from DC Animation in the future in terms of their products or the quality of their productions?
I believe you meant to say Marvel.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
What If...? was the Marvel animation highlight of 2021 for me. A pretty fun show overall, there were some good ideas in there although I don't think they really made the most out of each concept. I was a bit surprised to see most of the stories were connected in the last couple of episodes.

Spidey & his Amazing Friends is cute but I haven't followed it regularly and only watched a few bits and pieces from some of the episodes. I didn't care much for M.O.D.O.K. and only watched the first episode of Hit-Monkey at the moment so I can't really comment on it.

So yeah, not much to discuss about the Marvel toons of 2021. I am optimistic things will change in upcoming years, with all the stuff announced a couple of months ago. Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Baymax! (although they're more Disney than Marvel, but whatever), new episodes of What If...? and the other Disney+ animated projects announced (though not all of them will premiere in 2022).

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
So, what are your feelings towards Marvel Animation in 2021?
Like last year, not a lot of engagement from me. Honestly it's on me partly since I didn't have time to see MODOK and Hit-Monkey.
What were your highlights/favorites of the year?
Some episodes of What If? were pretty good and I really like it on a technical level. I guess the announcement of X-Men 97 since it showed Marvel Animation isn't opposed to revivals of old favorites.
What disappointed you?
Big Hero 6 really fell off from quality and ended on a whimper. Some episodes of What If? were kind of flat, but not huge deal breakers either.
What do you hope for from Marvel Animation in the future in terms of their products or the quality of their productions?
Some of the new shows sound good, but I hope not all of them are MCU-related or even revivals. Also, hopefully more Marvel animated movies.
What are you looking forward to from Marvel Animation going into 2022?
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is my most anticipated project. More What If? is neat. I have high hopes for Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I've been a little bad about keeping up with Marvel Animation in 2021. I liked the looks of MODOK and Hit-Monkey but I lost interest in MODOK after two episodes and I still haven't managed to start Hit-Monkey yet. I think I was planning after I finally finished Runaways and I've been sidetracked on that front.

I love the idea of a Spidey preschool show and everything but I can't watch it on a regular basis. It's very repetitive to my old brain and I don't have the attention span for it. Three regular leads with similar power sets and skill sets, three recurring villains and three recurring guest heroes. There's only so many combinations of that which will keep me interested. If kids love it, I'm happy. I wish they'd use it to introduce more heroes and villains that the kiddos can get excited about. I really liked the Super Hero Adventures series of shorts that preceded this and I wish this show played with more characters like that one did, or plays with them in the future.

I anticipated What If..? since the first rumors and I still anticipated it as the updates made it seem less and less like what I imagined. I had a very good time with this first season though it wasn't perfect. I hope to see them improving upon it more and more as it continues. I thought the last two episodes were intense and well done for the most part but I'd still prefer an anthology series with very strong standalone episodes that weren't being written specifically to tie into a future unified storyline. I still can't shake wanting to see a story now and then that felt like a well animated 80s comic more than a MCU tie-in.

In this new year, I'm looking forward to Moon Girl. I think it will be a lot of fun. I wish X-Men 97 was arriving sooner but I hope it's great in 2023. I hope Across The Spider-Verse lives up to the original. I hope that there are more unannounced projects like shorts or movies coming out way

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Man, animation Twitter has stooped on the new low where they bullied a girl to a suicide for liking a character they don't.

May she rest in peace.
Hello there Just looking for someone to talk about The N with

I wonder if Nickelodeon would later have rights to air Sonic the Hedgehog?

FOP marathon on NickPluto.. it's not off yet though.

Featured Posts