Marvel Animation at the New York Comic-Con 2019

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
We're roughly a month away from this year's New York Comic-Con, so I figured I might as well start this thread now. No details have surfaced yet, in regards to what Marvel might be highlighting or announcing this time.

I presume a description for the Marvel Animation panel(s) will be released within the next couple of weeks, and this post will be updated with any necessary info, but until then, it's business as usual - feel free to use this thread to discuss, add your hopes or predictions about what might be announced.

EDIT 9/04:

Here's a list of Marvel Animation related panels featured this year at NYCC. Work still in progress, will be updated on a regular basis as more info is available.

Sunday, October 6th

Women of Marvel (Including the World Premiere Screening of "Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri")

When
: Between 12:15 - 1:45 PM ET
Where: Room 1A06
Who:
What: World premiere screening of "Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri"

Source: Marvel.com, NYCC schedule

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The only things I think they'll talk about greatly will involve Marvel Rising, Marvel's Spiderman, and possibly some of the Hulu/Disney+ series.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
The only things I think they'll talk about greatly will involve Marvel Rising, Marvel's Spiderman, and possibly some of the Hulu/Disney+ series.
Is it possible Disney Television Animation will be part of the panel with Big Hero 6 and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Is it possible Disney Television Animation will be part of the panel with Big Hero 6 and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur?
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is still in development, so I don't expect any major news. As for Big Hero 6, Marvel has disassociated themselves from the brand, leaving it entirely in Disney's hands. As proof of this, the show got its own panel at every San Diego Comic Con it's been too, rather than being part of a singular Marvel Animation panel. If the show gets a panel at New York Comic Con, it won't be with the regular Marvel cartoons like Spiderman or Marvel Rising.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm keeping my expectations extremely low here, especially in the event that this panel doesn't even get covered by any major news outlets. It seems like at this point Marvel themselves will have to issue a press release to hype up new stuff or tell news outlets that there will actually be important stuff announced to get them to show up.

Ironically this did not seem to be an issue with the panel focused on reminiscing on older cartoons.

Although wasn't Marvel's Spider-Man first announced at New York Comic-Con? Although that feels like a really long time ago.
If it gets shown off it will probably be at a Disney panel rather then at a Marvel Animation panel. I'm note quite sure what the dynamic between the two is at this point.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm expecting absolutely nothing, so with my luck, they'll announce some new AAA X-Men series while I'm not paying attention.

I can foresee talk of Spider-Man and Marvel Rising but not much else. It wouldn't be bad if they could give updates on The Offenders or Moon Girl.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I can foresee talk of Spider-Man and Marvel Rising but not much else. It wouldn't be bad if they could give updates on The Offenders or Moon Girl.

I can see them mentioning a premier date for the next Marvel Rising special. I'm not sure if they can talk about Offenders or Moon Girl since I'm not sure whether those even fall under Cort Lane's purview.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, as others and I said last week, it's likely Spider-Man and Marvel Rising will be the only Marvel series that will get coverage here.

It's possible Big Hero 6 would get its own separate panel, I think it's only happened once before in 2018 but that was at SDCC (if it matters). But the season will probably be over by the time Comic-Con starts and there will be a hiatus until the show returns, so I don't know if they would start advertising it already.

I could see the Hulu shows getting some more exposure. It's been a while since we heard anything new on them, but then again there was like a year of silence on Moon Girl until news started coming out again last month. As for new stuff, I honestly don't know at this point. After announcing Spidey & his Amazing Friends, it would be nice if they announced something new that's not addressed for a preschool audience.

Frontier

Staff member
I know it's probably not going to happen, but wouldn't it be kind of awesome if, when the panel is winding down, Steve Blum comes on-stage to introduce a new X-Men cartoon :p?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri will premiere at the New York Comic-Con.
SUNDAY, October 6th
Women of Marvel (Including the World Premiere Screening of "Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri")
12:15 - 1:45 PM ET, Room 1A06
From comics to games, animation and more, the Women of Marvel assemble to celebrate nerddom and all the women who help make it great! Join the conversation as some of the best talent in the industry discuss the creative process, being a woman in entertainment, and what they’ve got planned next.
Then stick around for the world premiere of “Marvel Rising: Operation Shuri”!

Frontier

Staff member
I'm guessing we'll probably see it soon after then. It makes me wonder if they will release Playing with Fire before the year is over.

I would have to think they would...although I also wonder if they'll announce the next set of specials once they release "Playing with Fire."

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
There's no real pattern and it's kind of hard to guess Marvel's marketing when it comes to animation these days, but for Marvel Rising previously "Chasing Ghosts" and "Heart of Iron" were announced before NYCC last year, and "Battle of the Bands", "Operation Shuri" and "Playing With Fire" were announced this spring at WonderCon.

My guess is "Playing With Fire" will be released at WonderCon next year, possibly around the time "Maximum Venom" also starts. No idea about if there will be more Marvel Rising projects, but it would be nice seeing more and I suppose those could be announced at any time, not necessarily at a Con.

I am more surprised there's nothing about Spider-Man announced yet, I mean there's still time for more updates for panels and stuff, but I figured that show would be more likely to have some sort of presence here. Even Marvel Rising, it seems they're pairing it with the "Women of Marvel" panel instead of it being its own event.

Frontier

Staff member
There's no real pattern and it's kind of hard to guess Marvel's marketing when it comes to animation these days, but for Marvel Rising previously "Chasing Ghosts" and "Heart of Iron" were announced before NYCC last year, and "Battle of the Bands", "Operation Shuri" and "Playing With Fire" were announced this spring at WonderCon.

My guess is "Playing With Fire" will be released at WonderCon next year, possibly around the time "Maximum Venom" also starts. No idea about if there will be more Marvel Rising projects, but it would be nice seeing more and I suppose those could be announced at any time, not necessarily at a Con.

I am more surprised there's nothing about Spider-Man announced yet, I mean there's still time for more updates for panels and stuff, but I figured that show would be more likely to have some sort of presence here. Even Marvel Rising, it seems they're pairing it with the "Women of Marvel" panel instead of it being its own event.
I guess if there ends up being a singular Marvel Animation panel that will be where they end up talking about it, although I'm surprised they haven't announced it yet :confused:.

Frontier

Staff member
Man, I think this is the first time they haven't had an actual Animation Panel. I don't know if this says how much re-structuring is going on or how much (or how little) value Marvel puts in their animation :sweat:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts