"Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K." Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss the season!

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
He’s here to take over the world...if things would just go according to his actual plans.
Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K.
Series premiere
- May 21, 2021 on Hulu

Synopsis: In Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K., the megalomaniacal supervillain M.O.D.O.K. (Patton Oswalt) has long pursued his dream of one day conquering the world. But after years of setbacks and failures fighting the Earth’s mightiest heroes, M.O.D.O.K. has run his evil organization A.I.M. into the ground. Ousted as A.I.M.’s leader, while also dealing with his crumbling marriage and family life, the Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing is set to confront his greatest challenge yet!

The series stars Patton Oswalt, Melissa Fumero, Aimee Garcia, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ben Schwartz, Beck Bennett, Jon Daly and Sam Richardson. Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K. is created and written by executive producers Jordan Blum and Patton Oswalt. Brett Crawley, Robert Maitia, Grant Gish, Joe Quesada, Karim Zreik and Jeph Loeb also serve as executive producers.

Episode Guide:

01. If This Be... M.O.D.O.K.!
Supervillain M.O.D.O.K. runs his evil organization AIM into the ground and is forced to sell it to the tech company GRUMBL. As the megalomaniacal M.O.D.O.K. struggles to regain control of AIM he risks losing something even more important… his family!
02. The M.O.D.O.K. That Time Forgot!
In an effort win back his wife Jodie, M.O.D.O.K. takes her traveling through time to a Third Eye Blind concert they missed years ago. There they are attacked by a college-aged M.O.D.O.K. who steals their time machine and strands them in past.
03. Beware What From Portal Comes!
M.O.D.O.K. drags along his kids, Melissa and Lou, to a GRUMBL leadership conference.

04. If Saturday Be... For the Boys!
M.O.D.O.K. is turned away by his world conquering peers and forced to slum it with some blue-collar street villains.

05. If Bureaucracy Be Thy Death!
M.O.D.O.K. and Monica reluctantly team up to overthrow GRUMBL's control of AIM.

06. Tales From the Great Bar-Mitzvah War!
M.O.D.O.K. struggles to “normalize” his weird son Lou’s bar mitzvah planning.

07. This Man... This Makeover!
Jodie's celebrity is on the rise and she begins to date the superhero Wonder Man.

08. O, Were Blood Thicker than Robot Juice!
The time travelling Young M.O.D.O.K. finally exacts his revenge by kidnapping the family and pitting them against each other.

09. What Menace Doth the Mailman Deliver!
M.O.D.O.K. suddenly returns to AIM as a model employee, throwing off everyone at the organization.

10. Days of Future M.O.D.O.K.S!
The family reunites for Lou’s bar mitzvah but the surprise return of a villain threatens M.O.D.O.K.’s past, present and future in the show’s season finale.

All 10 episodes debut today on Hulu! This thread is for members to speak about all of the episodes or the majority of them at once. Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Related links
:
"Marvel Animation on Hulu" General News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
M.O.D.O.K. "If This Be... M.O.D.O.K.!"

"You dare divorce M.O.D.O.K.?" Good closing line.

Only two other things to note about the premiere, both huge, and one good and one bad.

The good thing is that there is no way this show, or at least this episode, earned a TV-MA rating. That's just "hoopla" Hulu is using to get us to check it out. There is nothing in the episode worse than American Dad! on TBS which is rated TV-14. Ratings are and continue to be totally bogus.

The bad thing is I didn't laugh once. Maybe that shouldn't be a surprise after learning in the credits that Seth Green is a producer, but it's very notable how little I cared for the comedy.

Eh. **1/2.

M.O.D.O.K. "The M.O.D.O.K. That Time Forgot!"

I didn't find anything funny but I was weirdly drawn to some of the surprisingly sweeter moments. I thought I could learn to like the show as M.O.D.O.K. and Jodie were dancing at the concert. Them growing old together while they watch the formation of their family was an incredibly bittersweet notion.

I liked this one. ***1/2.

M.O.D.O.K. "Beware What From Portal Comes!"

Intriguing cliffhanger.

I actually laughed at M.O.D.O.K.'s "Oh, s-word!"

I like Fing Fang Foom as the Luck Dragon from The Neverending Story at the beginning.

If you ask me Mellie is far more sinister than her father.

Lou continues to be annoying.

Not bad. ***.

M.O.D.O.K. "If Saturday Be.. For The Boys!"

The puppets for the crew were really cute.

Melter dying at the end was surprisingly sad to me.

Lou continues to drive me crazy. What an annoying character.

I like the Adaptoid on the car radio.

Not great but not terrible either. **1/2.

M.O.D.O.K. "If Bureaucracy Be... Thy Death!"

I like Iron Man asking what M.O.D.O.K. meant when he called him a wet b-word, M.O.D.O.K sprays him with a hose, and Tony's like, "Oh, you're a clown." This was pretty much the first funny episode.

The stuff with the delay on the intercom was great observational comedy, because it WAS properly confusing, so I got how frustrated the characters were.

The fight scene between M.O.D.O.K. and Monica had many creative moves and gimmicks in it.

Who is the mystery dead Avenger? Better question: Who cares? And does it even matter?

Solid humor in this one. ****1/2.

M.O.D.O.K. "Tales From The Great Bar Mitzvah War!"

I like Jodie saying Lou's foreskin was in Hell.

The bit with the guy puking into M.O.D.O.K.'s "stomach" was funny.

I like that M.O.D.O.K. doesn't want Lou to be more like him. He wants him to be more like Tony Stark. I find that very interesting.

Cool episode. ***1/2.

M.O.D.O.K. "This Man... This Makeover!"

Gross sex scene at the end is gross.

Jodie is a bad person. I was going to point out in this review that's probably why she married M.O.D.O.K. but Wonder Man already did.

Arcade has always been the lamest of villains.

I like the stylist saying he loves how tedious M.O.D.O.K. is.

Pretty good but I've decided I don't like Jodie. ***1/2.

M.O.D.O.K. "O, Were Blood Thicker Than Robot Juice!"

I like the idea that nobody wanted to kill the extra Lou. Personally, I wanted to kill both of them.

M.O.D.O.K. being real because he got the date wrong was great. I also love Jodie being mad that everyone was actually surprised the real her wouldn't commit suicide for them. Frankly? That IS an unreasonable ask.

If Past M.O.D.O.K. is dead, why hasn't Present M.O.D.O.K. been erased from existence? Unless he's from an alternate timeline. Does the Marvel Universe follow Block Universe rules or Parallel Timeline rules? Or is it one of those annoying franchises that mix and matches both whenever it suits its purposes? Guessing it's the third option, simply because Superhero comics are annoying.

Pretty funny. ****.

M.O.D.O.K. "What Menace Doth The Mailman Deliver!"

It's sort of amusing and weird how well friendly, well-adjusted M.O.D.O.K. fits the sensibility of the show.

I like Monica calling Manica a bad parent and proceeding to snort their Pym-Particled daughter through her nose.

Austin's end was brutal, and his multiple humiliations more than I wanted. What's ironic is that I previously wanted nothing but bad things for the character. But I think they may have taken things a little too far there.

Good penultimate episode. ****.

M.O.D.O.K. "Days Of Future M.O.D.O.K.s!"

Yeah, no. That was a bummer of a place to leave things, especially because there is no way in hell the show is getting renewed.

The Puppet face being Patton Oswalt somehow made it even creepier. They should probably cast him as live-action M.O.D.O.K. too.

Not down with that. **1/2.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I like the cameos wonder how many viewers knew that Master Pandemonium's demon hand babies are actually Wanda's kids.

I'm loving these Marvel cameos, the 80s Avengers had a lot 9fndumb villains.

Frontier

Staff member
One thing I thought was interesting was the fact that they never used MODOK's real name (George Tarleton) even once in the show...and apparently his head was always super huge to the point where he needed that hover chair back in college :oops:.

It was nice to see actual X-Men characters referenced and used in a Marvel cartoon again. I mean, Lila Cheney! The Brood! Mr. Sinister! They even mentioned Storm :D.

It's kind of surreal for me to finally see a cartoon use the "Killing" in MODOK's name as well as Murderworld for Arcade :p.

I like how Iron Man is MODOK's most frequent heroic nemesis, since MODOK is an Iron Man villain :).

I wasn't expecting they'd incorporate the female Scorpion Carmilla Black the way they did as Monica's daughter with a male clone...which makes her technically a Monica clone too, or something? I've never seen that before. I also liked how she had a scorpion shirt and that her mom went to a school named after Fred Van Lente, her creator :proud:.

Wonder Man! It was nice to see Simon and that he got to go out with some dignity because, for all the shallowness they portrayed him with in this episode, he's still better than Jodie. Too bad about that press conference with Iron Man :sweat:.

I wonder...is Austin going to stay dead? That was a pretty unceremonious death for him. And they still have that plot line of the Hexus going on :eek:.

I'm not sure if we're actually going to get a second season, but the implication seemed to be that present-day MODOK let past MODOK kill his family and now he's Emperor MODOK trying to find a way to bring his family back because of how lonely he is? Kind of curious where they're going to go with this and the present-day timeline o_O.
Who is the mystery dead Avenger? Better question: Who cares? And does it even matter?
I was wondering about that too. I think it was supposed to be Giant-Man because of the red mask, big head, and the fact that it was a historic Avenger :confused:?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

youtube Nickelodeon uploaded Young Dylan - Natural Beauty episode

youtube NickRewind streaming currently: iCarly - iGoodbye
Damn! A lot of exiting Nintendo E3 announcement today.
"Atlantis: The Lost Empire" is 20 years old today.
although i'm disappointed there wasn't an update on Metroid Prime 4. But a sequel to Metroid Fushion is coming.

Maybe it's time for me to get back with Nintendo after 11-12 years
At 18:00 CET, the Euro 2020 match between Hungary and Portugal will begin, and I'll watch it. I designed a special avatar for it in the morning.

I will revert to the "lovely" avatar tomorrow.

Featured Posts