James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Here is Mark Millar (ULTIMATE X-MEN, SUPERMAN ADVENTURES) review of Batman: Gotham Adventures:

Again, one of the buried treasures since it started. It's almost a cliche, but the Adventures books really do tend to be better than the core titles and incredibly underrated. I thought this would take a dip after the departure of the brilliant Ty Templeton, but Scott Peterson has really made this book his own. It's a shame more people aren't reading this. Peterson's another guy who should get a crack at the core titles and they could do a lot worse than Burchett on the art.

To check out the other books he's reviews, go tot he link below:

http://www.thefourthrail.com/features/1101/millarreviews.shtml

Bobby Boy 101

Demi's Throttle
Nov 5, 2001
the Deep Depths of Dublin
even tho the art sucks donkey balls

Im sorry, but I hate hat art to the ends of the Earth, even more than Craig Rosseau (no offense)

WHERE IS BRUCE TIMME WHERE U NEED HIM???????????!!!!

or Rick Burchett, love his stuff

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
I'd love tp see Millar take a shot at the book. His run on Superman Adventures was one of the best things to happen to the title. I think he could definatly tell a great story. It's a shame that Peterson remains on the title when I know for a fact of at least three other better writers itching to get on the book!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
The best idea is to mail/email DC and tell them you'd like to see different creative teams on the title. And do it calm and collected, not raving like a madman. That won't help. If DC knows that the majority of the readers for the titles are displeased, then that can help us in getting a new writer on board.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
That's my fear. I'm worried that they might think we're trying to push them around. And with Superman Adventures and Batman Beyond cancelled, I don't want to tick them off. I just pray that Gotham Adventures makes it to issue #100!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
DC is not gonna cancel the book becuase fans ask for a bit of a change. If that were true than just about all of their titles would have been canned by now. GOTHAM ADVENTURES is still a good seller. While it may not kick butt in the DIRECT MARKET, it still sells really well on the newsstand. DC Comics isn't going to do that. If they did, then AZRAEL would've been cancelled by issue #1. And believe it or not, AZRAEL is only a couple hundred issues ahread of GOTHAM ADVENTURES. Just let DC Comics know your opinions. There's no harm in that at all. Who knows, maybe they'll start doing this "round robin" creative team thing on all their animated titles eventually.

And...I emailed DC a letter today about my opinions on the current state of GOTHAM ADVENTURES. I know it won't ever be printed, but I just like to think it may make a difference.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
Originally posted by DisneyBoy
:D GO DICK!!! GO DICK!!!:D
Thanx. :)

Here's a short excerpt:

Hey Gotham Adventures staff,

I won't start this letter by gushing. I think it demeans myself and you folks, so I'll just skip over that. ANyways, I've been reading BATMAN ADVENTURES titles since the first issue. I was there when Issue #1 arrived at my convenience store. I continued to buy it there until I discovered the haven of the comic book store. From then on, I made sure I didn't miss a single issue, and I didn't. Even all of the specials and annuals. I have them all. In my room. Their spines are creased and the pages bent. They're not in protective bags either, but stacked by my bed. I didn't read these once. I read them over and over and over. I didn't bag them after reading the issue once. I re-read. Why? Becuase I had to. They were that good.

Currntly, I've been re-reading these books less and less. While GOTHAM ADVENTURES is one of the best titles out there, it just isn't as good as it used to be. The stories don't have the double meaning they used to. Or the neat in jokes and funny scenes. In the old issues, the artist and writer melded so perfectly. They played off each other beautifully. Now...I just don't see it. I just see a good artist drawing rathar mediocre scripts. The last years worth of scripts have been dissapointing to say the least. Some issues read like pre school books, while others hinted at something so much better, but ended up being a massive dissapointment. And in other times, the characters were so off characters, I felt I was reading a completely different character. Take issue #40 with Mr. Freeze for example. For him to have a crush on Talia is wrong on so many levels.

Personally, I'd like to see this series take the "round robin" approach that SUPERMAN ADVENTURES and JUSTICE LEAGUE is currently doing to acoid getting stale. While SUPERMAN ADVENTURES hasn't had much luck with it, I know this title can. I've heard that alot of creators want to take a crack at this book, I would like to see it. I would love to see an issue written by Micheal Revees and pencilled by Darwyn Cooke or Cameron Stewart. I think Lee Louridge and Terry Beatty and the rest of the crew should stay, but I would love to see a rotating writer/artist crew. I think it could revitialize the book. Remember issue #29 with Dixon and Staton? Or issue #33 with Brubaker and Rader? Issues like those have won so much acclaim. I'd like to see that happen again."

Comments?