Lucasfilm to Launch "Star Wars: The High Republic" publishing campaign in 2020

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Lcasfilm has released press details about its upcoming Star Wars: The High Republic publishing initiative, which includes a series of graphic novels and novels set in a new era. Details:

LUCASFILM TO LAUNCH STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC
PUBLISHING CAMPAIGN IN 2020

NEW STORIES WILL EXPLORE THE STAR WARS GALAXY
SET 200 YEARS BEFORE THE EVENTS OF THE PHANTOM MENACE.

Later this year, Lucasfilm will launch an epic new era of Star Wars storytelling that will be explored through multiple voices in adult and young adult novels, children’s books, and comics from a variety of publishers including Disney Lucasfilm Press, Del Rey, IDW Publishing, and Marvel.

Star Wars: The High Republic, which has previously been referred to as “Project Luminous”, will be set in an era when the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order are at their zenith, about 200 years before the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. This period on the Star Wars timeline will not overlap any of the filmed features or series currently planned for production, giving creators and partners a vast amount of room to tell Star Wars stories with new adventures and original characters.

“We are so excited to be opening up such a rich, fertile era for our authors to explore,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “We’ll get to see the Jedi in their prime.”

Star Wars: The High Republic features the Jedi as we’ve always wanted to see them — as true guardians of peace and justice. This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi and the Galactic Republic are at their height. But of course, into this glorious new era something wicked this way comes,” says Lucasfilm publishing creative director Michael Siglain. “This initiative will give readers young and old a new corner of the galaxy to explore through rich, meaningful stories. Plus, readers will learn what scares the Jedi.”

“This was a golden age for the Jedi, and also a time of galactic expansion in the Outer Rim. So expect there to be rich tales of exploration; charting out the galaxy, meeting new cultures, and discovering what pioneer life in the Outer Rim was like. This is an incredible sandbox for our storytellers to play in, both within publishing and beyond, and we can’t wait to see the great fiction they build within it,” says Lucasfilm vice president, franchise content and strategy James Waugh.

As previously announced, Star Wars: The High Republic has enlisted top-tier, fan-favorite authors Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older, Cavan Scott, and Charles Soule to craft this new era of Star Wars publishing.

The first books and comics are set to debut at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim in August 2020 with Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi, a massive interconnected story that’s told across various formats by various publishers.

The first wave of Star Wars: The High Republic titles includes:

• Star Wars: The High Republic: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray (Young Adult novel, Disney Lucasfilm Press)
  • Star Wars: The High Republic: A Test of Courage by Justina Ireland (Middle Grade novel, Disney Lucasfilm Press)
  • Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures by Daniel José Older (IDW Publishing comic book series)
  • Star Wars: The High Republic by Cavan Scott (Marvel comic book series)
  • Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule (Adult novel, Del Rey)
What are your thoughts on this upcoming Star Wars initiative?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"This period on the Star Wars timeline will not overlap any of the filmed features or series currently planned for production."

That was a sight for sore eyes. Quite excited to see what the golden age will be like. And there's a Wookie Jedi. :D

Spider-Man

As a big fan of The Old Republic, I am really looking forward to this initiative. It's nice to see Lucasfilm pushing ahead with something like this. I've been waiting to see some new time periods explored and while I find the 200 years gap between this and TPM a little small for my liking I'm still looking forward to this. I love the idea of exploring the Jedi of this different eras especially given their long history and this should be something fresh and new. And maybe this will lead into some rumored movies that are being worked on. I think I'd like a Star Wars: The High Republic movie or even an animated series down the road.

AdrenalineRush1996

A wise decision, I say and is it me or does the blonde haired Jedi seen in the cover art of Light of the Jedi look a bit like Jodie Whittaker, the incumbent Thirteenth Doctor in Doctor Who?

Otaku-sempai

A wise decision, I say and is it me or does the blonde haired Jedi seen in the cover art of Light of the Jedi look a bit like Jodie Whittaker, the incumbent Thirteenth Doctor in Doctor Who?
It's probably coincidental, but I do see a resemblance.

"For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice." So we aren't even looking at a history of 1000 years, but more like twenty times that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
4/2: Star Wars.com released a first look and bios at the Jedi Knights: Ava Kriss, Loden Greatstorm, Keeve Trennis, Stellan Gios, and Vernestra "Vern" Rwoh.

5/26: Launch of High Republic stalled to January 2021. Charles Soule's Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi and Justina Ireland’s Star Wars: The High Republic: A Test of Courage will now both go on sale January 5, 2021. Claudia Gray's Star Wars: The High Republic: Into the Dark will now arrive on February 2, 2021.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That preview art looks great. I noticed the bottom of the article said there is no release dates for the comics right, just for the books? Does Marvel have a rough idea of when the new comics are coming out. IDW is also doing some issues too right? Hopefully we get release dates for all of them soon.
9/21: Correct. I haven't seen any updates on the Marvel comic. But early next year seems like the best guess. The main Star Wars comic restarted last month so Marvel seems to be back on track.

-The comic from Marvel is currently TBA
-The novels "The Great Disaster", "Light of the Jedi" and "A Test of Courage" are currently set for January 5.
-The High Republic Adventures comic series from IDW seems to be set to start in February.
-The YA novel "Into the Dark" is currently set for February 2.

9/22: Interviews with Soule.

On Light of the Jedi.
-"One of the primary concepts of The High Republic initiative is the idea that there are certain key events that happen at the 'same time' across the storytelling. It's a lot like the way the destruction of the first Death Star in Star Wars: A New Hope has been seen from endless angles since it was first depicted in the first film."
-"Those are all mapped out — there's a document with all of it laid down. The 'Great Disaster' that opens Light of the Jedi is one of those. I thought it would work because of the things you cited — the idea of having a lot of people involved in one event that operates on a galactic scale seemed very appealing. I could introduce a large cast in a very organic way, in various locations from the highest levels of galactic government to the 'Jedi on the street' as they respond to the disaster."
-"It's a chance to show heroism in many different ways. Light of the Jedi has plenty of lightsaber action, but that's not the only way to solve problems, and you don't need the Force to be a good person. There's a sort of slogan that pops up in the book: 'We are all the Republic,' and the Great Disaster seemed like a perfect way to reflect that idea."

On the scale of High Republic
-"I’ve never done anything like The High Republic — from the writers room approach to the scope, stakes and opportunity … it's wild. The closest analog I can think of is working on the big multi-title crossover comic stories I've done at Marvel and DC, but this is bigger by at least an order of magnitude."
-"There's also the sense that even though The High Republic is its own era, it's part of a shared history with the entirety of Star Wars continuity, and things that happen in a different piece of Star Wars content might have a direct influence on what we can do in our stories."

9/23: Insight's Lightsaber Collection book revealed in High Republic there is a Jedi Master named Stellan Gios with a lightsaber modeled after Excalibur with a traditional crossguard.

9/24: More about Master Gios.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The NYCC panel from earlier today.

Some highlights of the panel (Wookiepedia, Polygon, StarWars.net):

-The Great Disaster is an event that occurs when The Legacy Run, a cargo ship carrying supplies and people to the Outer Rim collides with an unknown object while in hyperspace, scattering debris and wreckage throughout various star systems.

-Want to write fresh stories but still honor what came before in the EU.

-Ireland's A Test of Courage will introduce Vernestra Rwoh, a prodigy who achieved the rank of Jedi Knight at age 16. Shesspent her entire life working towards being a knight and managed to get there ahead of her peers. That gives her this idea of having a great responsibility at hand. She is fixated on living up to the idea of the Jedi.
-Vernestra sees the Force as a great river, and all the Jedi, including herself, are little streams running into the river. Vernestra's lightsaber has a purple blade. There is also a special modification.

-Gray's book, Into the Dark, features a padawan named Reath Silas who is on a ship heading towards the frontier regions. The ship is knocked out of lightspeed as a result of the Disaster.
-Reath prefers to be a pacifist. He does not always want to pull the weapon from his belt, but use other methods to deal with an obstacle. Combat is his last resort, but he never hesitates when going into a combative situation.
-Reath Silas is marooned in a place that has its own mysteries and dangers that he has to deal with far away from his master
-Reath is less in tune with the Force than a lot are and has to work harder to connect with it.
-Reath isn't as tuned into the Force as the other Jedi are; he has to work harder than the average Jedi to understand and use the Force. For him, the Force is like a spider web. At some points, the Force is strong; at others, it can be delicate and difficult to see.
-A non-Jedi character named Geode who is "definitely one to watch."
-Leox Jossie is a pilot and scoundrel, but not like Han Solo. Gray mentions that he is inspired by a young Matthew McConaughey with a spaceship.

-Scott is set to write Star Wars: The High Republic, a new comic series set in the aftermath of the Disaster. The series will follow Keeve Trennis, a new Jedi stationed on the Starlight Beacon, a space station for the Republic. She had previously hoped to be stationed on an outpost, instead of in a space station, as she wants to explore the galaxy.
-Keeve imagines the Force as a tapestry, and the different colors and threads represent each person's individual connection to the Force. Keeve has a double-bladed lightsaber that can separate into two different blades. She keeps it across her chest so it is easily accessible for her.
-Keeve finds herself with some of the key Jedi of the era. The people she looked up to as heroes are now her peers, and so she has to cope with that, especially when she starts meeting some of the people that were involved in the Great Disaster and helped so many people in the Great Disaster
-There are Jedi twins, Cerrit and Tarik, who are almost like Siamese twins in the Force. One mind, two bodies. Other Jedi feel out of step around them because the two are so connected.

-Soule, is writing Light of the Jedi, an adult novel. The book will explore the themes of the Force and how each Jedi uses it to shape their character.
-Focus is on Jedi Master Avar Kriss. She is instrumental in the Jedi's reaction to the Great Disaster. She perceives the Force musically and even calls it the Song of the Force.
-Wookiee Jedi Burryaga Agaburry sees the Force as a great force of nature, a great tree, and he, alongside the other Jedi and the galaxy, are the leaves on the tree.
-Burryaga's lightsaber is two-handed, and made from materials that are important to him and built to match his strength and size. Just as a regular lightsaber would be useless in his hands (or paws), this lightsaber would be useless for Avar Kriss. Perceives the Force as a big forest and himself as one leaf on a larger tree.
-There is a creature from a planet called Elfrona. The creature is a char hound, and her specific name is Ember. She is a dog, with bright red and orange spots, but her body is a greenish-black color. She is befriended by the core group of Jedi in the book.

-Daniel Jose Older mentions a character from his comic series named Cham Cham who is a pet. It's basically a cute pet that is also highly aggressive.
-Lula Talisola, a central character in Older's The High Republic Adventures comic series, seeks to be the best possible Jedi in the galaxy, in combat and wisdom. She views the Force as a mountain, and the climb to the peak represents all the trials and obstacles she must face to become the ultimate Jedi.
-Lula is living the dream of any Padawan: traveling around the galaxy with Yoda and a bunch of other Jedi in training. They're almost on a gap year learning about the force in the galaxy and what it means to be out in the world. Lula must use all her Jedi skills earlier than expected.
-Yoda will lead padawans around the galaxy in the aftermath of the Disaster, helping those in need.
-Will see him in more duels in the comic series.

-For Phase 2
--Cavan Scott will be writing the next adult novel from Del Rey
--Justina Ireland will be writing the next YA novel from Disney Lucasfilm Press
--Daniel Jose Older will be writing the next middle-grade novel from Disney Lucasfilm Press

-Charles Soule will be writing a fiction story in Titan Magazine's Star Wars Insider in December for the High Republic to lead in to the event.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
10/21: First looks and more info about Burryaga Agaburry, Lula Talisola, and Reath Silas, and Bell Zettifar.

10/22: Covers and logline for Marvel's High Republic #1 out in January 6. Diamond page here.
BEFORE THE SKYWALKER SAGA! THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE JEDI! A new era of STAR WARS storytelling begins. It is centuries before the SKYWALKER SAGA.

The JEDI are at their height, protecting the galaxy as REPUBLIC pioneers push out into new territories. As the Frontier prepares for the dedication of majestic STARLIGHT BEACON, PADAWAN KEEVE TRENNIS faces the ultimate choice — will she complete her Jedi Trials or rescue the innocent from disaster? New Jedi! New ships! New evils to fight!

Last edited:

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I wish a lot of newer cartoons got more attention
I decided not to change my username because I am fine with this one.
Hitting a major case of trouble scripting the latest issue of The Un-Iverse (F.I.S.H. #2 "The Society Of The Broken Egg"). It's not exactly writer's block because I know the story I want to tell. I'm just having a hard time telling it WELL. First time in a long time I've hit a snag like this.
Here's Batman in a Dreamworks show.

Gotta say, I'm warming up to the new layout. It's a little more attractive than the old one.