"Love, Death & Robots" Talkback

How would you rate the show

• Total voters

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Fair warning though if you are disturbed with graphic sex and violence also don't watch this series also if you suffer from epilepsy. Whelp I just got back from watching Love, Death & Robots and while I can't say a lot of the series as whole since its an anthology series it was pretty good. Seeing how its an animated anthology series it was pretty fun seeing mostly different art styles and seeing how this is a collection of short stories no episode is longer than 16 minutes so if you are watching a short you don't like it will be over soon, or skip it because it doesn't connect to anything. If I would have one gripe with the series is that a good chunk of the the episodes have the "Realistic Video game Cutscene" artstyle which is super boring.

Best Short- Good Hunting
It sort of starts off slow but it masterfully combines Asian folklore with Steampunk, I'm not going to say much but everything from the begging comes back in the end.
Worst Short- Beyond the Aquila Rift
Remember how I said a good chunk of the show art style can be describe as "Realistic Videogame Cutscene" yeah this is one of them also the episode was long and boring with a mediocre ending.

So that's my thoughts what were your favorite/least favorite.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
I just finished the first short and hoo, boy! That was some funky gish. I'd describe it as Real Steel meets Evolve set in cyberpunk. Makes me want to finish the rest of the shorts.

I see what you mean about the "Realistic Video game Cutscene" artstyle, PapaGreg. The first short had it and while it is impressive from a technical standpoint and went well with the grittiness of the short, I'd grow weary of it if a lot of the shorts kept using the artstyle.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
A lot of these are pretty bad and feel like shock for shock's sake like if you're into one shot anthologies like Heavy Metal this might be for you but I don't know.

My favorite one was easily Three Robots since it was funny and had a strong sense of originality.

PapaGreg

I just finished the first short and hoo, boy! That was some funky gish. I'd describe it as Real Steel meets Evolve set in cyberpunk. Makes me want to finish the rest of the shorts.

I see what you mean about the "Realistic Video game Cutscene" artstyle, PapaGreg. The first short had it and while it is impressive from a technical standpoint and went well with the grittiness of the short, I'd grow weary of it if a lot of the shorts kept using the artstyle.

I kind of forgive the first and second short because they do have their own styles also I don't know if you are finished yet but you are going to love Suits

Dragnatek

I liked that the first two shorts had such contrasting tones. It set the mood for the whole series. It made it clear that every short was going to feel vastly different from each other, some would be very serious and dramatic, some silly and others somewhere in between.

Some of the shorts do feel like videogame cut scenes. Most of the time I can tell it's realistic CGI the only one where I thought they could be real was Beyond the Aquila Rift.

I'm two thirds of the way done. So far my favorites are Suits, Alternate Histories (I skipped to it early because I love the concept) and Good Hunting. Least favorites are The Witness and Helping Hand.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
The shorts in this series vary in quality, but for the most part, I'm impressed. I do agree that they overused the realistic video game CGI style, even if it's not necessarily bad (especially in Beyond the Aquila Rift). My favorites are Zima Blue, Suits, Three Robots, The Witness, and Good Hunting.

PapaGreg

I feel as if this show should've been named "One Man's Trash" because the enjoyability between different short seems to vary between person to person

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
One of the most confusing things about this series is that a lot of the shorts don't even have robots in it.

Dragnatek

One of the most confusing things about this series is that a lot of the shorts don't even have robots in it.
I guess the title is justified as every short has at least one of the three things in the title, love, death or robots.

I just watched Zima Blue and it's one of the best. It's interesting that one of the best shorts in this collection has no over the top violence, no sex, and no real nudity. Like those things are not needed for adult animation. It just needs an interesting premise and story.

Last edited:

PapaGreg

I guess the title is justified as every short has at least one of the three things in the title, love, death or robots.

I just watched Zuma Blue and it's one of the best. It's interesting that one of the best shorts in this collection has no over the top violence, no sex, and no real nudity. Like those things are not needed for adult animation. It just needs an interesting premise and story.

If I remember correctly the short doesn't even have any vulgar language either, I could honestly see it rated TV-PG

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Overall, I'd say that LD&R is a pretty good assortment of shorts. I'd welcome another batch.

My top 5 shorts are (in no particular order):
Good Hunting
Suits
Zima Blue
Lucky 13
Three Robots

With Sucker of Souls and Alternate Histories being runner ups.

PapaGreg

I really want Three Robots to be a series, while I like the rest as shorts I can see a potential series with the mentioned title. For me at least it has the most rewatchability.

Troy Troodon

While I get the intention behind the series, and that I don't have a problem with adult animation in general I must share my own opinion that I do feel that much of the nudity, gore, and swearing did feel a bit too excessive, save for Three Robots and Suits maybe.

But on the other hand if you can sit through it (or at least cover your eyes and ears while sitting through it) you will find that they are still good stories, which are also very well animated, which is the main motief of the series, to prove that animation as an artistic medium can be used to tell any story. Like I said I do think the nudity, swearing, and gore should've toned down so it's moreso between PG-13 and R, which is pretty much the range of Bojack Horseman or the Marvel netflix shows, since it doesn't have to be that crass to prove that they're adult, otherwise I say the series is pretty top notch.

Hopefully I can see these same visual teams work on more projects, be they more episodes here or in completely new projects.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Late, but just finished it all. There was something for me to like in all of them.

Good Hunting (Got some HUGE Alita and Ghibli vibes from it a longer feature would be amazing)

The Suits (It was basically animated StarCraft, what's not to like)

Secret War (Reminded me of Hellboy and old Wolfenstein stuff)

Sucker of Souls (Same as above, really dug the art style too which reminded me of BPRD by Arcudi)

Fish Night (It was gorgeous looking and fascinating)

Zima Blue (Same as a above, but even MORE and incredibly cerebral about what art means to one, along with personal meaning of life and happiness)

Blind Spot (I'd love an animated series of this)

The Witness (This was trippy as hell)

Sonnie's Edge (Kind of felt the twist coming, but was still well done)

Ice Age (Really liked it, the idea of some form of humanity achieving Singularity like that is very uplifting)

Lucky 13 (I too would trade the new shiny craft for good old lucky 13)

Alternate History (Watching Hitler die NEVER gets old)

Three Robots (I second the notion of seeing a series of this)

Beyond Aquila Rift (Hey look, he found a Brethren Moon!)

When Yogurt Took Over (I can very much see this happening)

The Dump (It had a cute puppy in it)

Helping Hand (Both scenes with the hand were just disgustingly awful in terms of cringe pain to look at)

Shape-Shifter (Probably the only one I didn't care for in the whole lot)

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts