Looney Tunes: Title Goofs, Altered endings, Dubbed Versions, etc. discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBogus :)

You're fired!

Cool_Cat

The part when Tweety is in the cage was taken from To Itch His Own. I can't remember where they took the cue which played before.

You're fired!
@Daffyrocks @NewBogus :) That one is from What's Opera Doc.

I forgot about it.
So it seems, that WB also replaced the ending cues in some 1950's, the original music cue on The Hypo-chondri cat in Polish was used in VHS/DVD LTGC print, but the What's Opera Doc? music was used in Canal+ print. Sometimes, I think why WB didn't use the old 1995 dubbing for post-1948 cartoons released in LTGC's?

Cool_Cat

Post 48 shorts which didn't have the music/effects track used to have an altered track even back in the 60s which was used for old dubs, and sometimes they reused them for some new dub (like some French and Italian dub).

Then in the late 90s they gave those post 48 shorts (and B&W shorts) another altered track in the same way they did it on the 1995 Dubbed versions. The first ones were done on the 1998 remasters released on VHS, and the rest of them after.

One oddity is Thumb Fun apparently has the music/effects track, because it was used on the original Spanish dub. Then it had an older altered track on the French dub and the newer altered track on the Italian dub (which was poorly done, they took the same cue from Half Fare Hare all the time). I mean, if that short had the music/effects track found, was it really necessary to alter it after?

You're fired!
Post 48 shorts which didn't have the music/effects track used to have an altered track even back in the 60s which was used for old dubs, and sometimes they reused them for some new dub (like some French and Italian dub).

That's the reason, why hear I altered audio tracks in Draftee Daffy and Book Revue (pre-1948 a.a.p. package in new WB dubbing in Polish language). Both were done via Dubbed 1995 tracks.

Cool_Cat

I only have a few pre Turner dubs, I can tell you they used a lot of cues from Tom and Jerry and Tex Avery shorts. I believe by mistake WB sent both CN and Rai 2 a.a.p. prints of some Porky Pig short. For an example on Brother Brat I heard a cue from Droopy's Good Deed.

Another oddity is Book Revue here was aired on Rai 2 with the remastered print in 2005, and the cues were the same as the dubbed version. The soundtrack though seemed to be the remastered one.

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
Yeah, most old Brazilian Portuguese dubs from the 60s of the Looney Tunes shorts (and also some MGM ones) used cues from MGM cartoon shorts, mainly from the Tom and Jerry shorts "Cue Ball Cat" and "The Flying Cat". Sometimes they were unfitting for the scene, especially because the sound effects from the used cues were intact and it sounded very odd in the scenes that didn't have any sound effects.

And Book Revue was also aired with the DVD-remastered print on CN/Boom CEE.

You're fired!
I only have a few pre Turner dubs, I can tell you they used a lot of cues from Tom and Jerry and Tex Avery shorts. I believe by mistake WB sent both CN and Rai 2 a.a.p. prints of some Porky Pig short. For an example on Brother Brat I heard a cue from Droopy's Good Deed.

Another oddity is Book Revue here was aired on Rai 2 with the remastered print in 2005, and the cues were the same as the dubbed version. The soundtrack though seemed to be the remastered one.

Lol, I've never heard about that. Book Revue in Polish dubbing version (which was aired on Boomerang, TV Puls and TV Puls 2) got the Dubbed 1995 soundtrack (in my opinion), while the lectored version used in the "Essential Daffy Duck" used the original music cues.

Dreth

Also, (I'm not sure) but Cartoon Network (EU version) shows Snowtime for Comedy (1995 dubbed version) without the 1947-48 dubbed ending card (it kept its original Blue Ribbon Ending).
European Dubbed Prints of "The Cat Came Back" (confirmed on a 2x2 showing of it) also keeps the static 1953-54 ending card intact, with the dubbed disclaimer showing, same with the Dubbed version of "The Old Grey Hare" (which also keeps the original ending intact, but with the disclaimer fading in).

You're fired!
Also, (I'm not sure) but Cartoon Network (EU version) shows Snowtime for Comedy (1995 dubbed version) without the 1947-48 dubbed ending card (it kept its original Blue Ribbon Ending).
European Dubbed Prints of "The Cat Came Back" (confirmed on a 2x2 showing of it) also keeps the static 1953-54 ending card intact, with the dubbed disclaimer showing, same with the Dubbed version of "The Old Grey Hare" (which also keeps the original ending intact, but with the disclaimer fading in).

I saw, that The Bird Came C.O.D, 1942 got their original ending credits intact in European Turner 1995 prints.

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
The dubbed versions of "Good Night Elmer" (1940) and "Peck Your Own Troubles" (1945) also keep their original "That's All Folks" end titles intact (in the case of "Peck Your Own Troubles", the original Blue Ribbon end title).

I really don't understand why they had to make these changes to the end titles for the dubbed versions. I just don't like it. They could easily retain the original end titles (or in some cases, the original Blue Ribbon end titles) and just put the dubbing discalimer fading in on the bottom. It's better like this, beleive me.

Oh, and now that I found out most of the musics used in the dubbing versions that I questioned, now I would really like to find out about these (if someone has any ideas):
"- the music from "What Makes Daffy Duck" (1948) ("dubbed" version) when Daffy flirts with the girl duck (actually Elmer in disguise)
- the music from "Life with Feathers" (1945) ("dubbed" version) when Sylvester is starving and the blue bird shows him food from the cooking book"
and also "the music used at the begining of the dubbed versions of "The Eager Beaver" (1946) and "I Taw a Putty Tat" (1948)" :)

You're fired!
The dubbed versions of "Good Night Elmer" (1940) and "Peck Your Own Troubles" (1945) also keep their original "That's All Folks" end titles intact (in the case of "Peck Your Own Troubles", the original Blue Ribbon end title).

Not only Blue Ribbon ending title card, but their original 1945 ending title card (the MM cartoons reissued in 1950-1951, 1951-1952, 1953-1954, 1954-1955 from post-1945/pre-1948 package got their original ending credits intact).

Dreth

@Daffyrocks, Post-1948 cartoons that have had Dubbed Versions made in 1997 and 1998 kept their original endings intact, with "THIS VERSION" fading in at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts