"Looney Tunes Cartoons" News & Discussion Thread

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Deadline reports a short-form Looney Tunes revival is in the works. Warner Bros. Animation plans on producing new 1-6 minutes long shorts, with a total of 1,000 minutes per Season.

Warner Bros Animation is creating a new series of short-form cartoons based on the studio’s iconic Looney Tunes Cartoons franchise featuring the likes of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and the gang that will harken to the original Looney Tunes theatrical shorts. The studio said today multiple artists will produce 1-6 minute shorts “written” and drawn by the cartoonists allowing their own personality and style to come through.
The plan is to produce 1,000 minutes each season, with the content to be distributed across multiple platforms including digital, mobile and broadcast.
“The Looney Tunes are one of the most beloved group of animated characters in the world,” said Sam Register, president of Warner Bros Animation and Warner Digital Series. “Looney Tunes Cartoons places these characters into the hands of some of the best artists in the business and into an animated shorts format that will remind many of the time when they first fell in love with Bugs, Daffy, Porky and the rest of the gang.”
The series will be produced by Warner Bros Animation and features veteran Looney Tunes voice cast members including Eric Bauza, Jeff Bergman and Bob Bergen. Register and Peter Browngardt are executive producers.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
When I read the title, I had to sigh. Stop it, Warner Bros. Don't be so unoriginal.

But the synopsis made me interested. Perhaps this could be good. Maybe this is their reaction to Paul Rudnish' Mickey Mouse.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Ooh, this sounds neat. I love me some Looney Tunes and having the artists add their own spin on their shorts sounds interesting. Some shorts could be good, some could be bad, but that's just how it is.

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
I see Peter Browngardt will be involved in this newer incarnation. It does seem like his area to work in a show with distinct story telling after Uncle Grandpa, I think he was a good choice to make a cartoon of this style. I can't wait to see what is in store.

wiley207

According to Jerry Beck, this is to be somewhat akin to Fred Seibert's "The What-a-Cartoon Show" or "Oh Yeah! Cartoons" in production style. This could be fun!

I'm also hoping for audio post-production they get Robert Hargreaves and DigiPost.TV to do it, as they seem to have the complete classic Treg Brown WB sound effects library in their archives, compared to Advantage Audio and their H-B sound effects, or Audio Circus (remember how they made the Road Runner zoom along to H-B jet sound effects?)
And if they have to have the animation done overseas (several "What-a-Cartoon" shorts did so as well), I hope they get Toon City Animation or Lotto Animation to do it, instead of just relying on Rough Draft Korea (though to be fair, for the second season of "New Looney Tunes" they dropped Rough Draft in favor of Snipple Animation, who turns out surprisingly good work.)

Frontier

Staff member
I feel like to some degree WB has been struggling with what exactly to do with the Looney Tunes brand in a modern age, but I think this sounds like the kind of "fresh," back-to-basics, approach that might really breathe some new life back into the franchise :).

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I hope this series turns out better than Wabbit/NLT, which I didn't care for.

WB tried to replicate Disney's Mickey Mouse shorts and failed. I think Peter Browngardt is the right choice to bring on board to this new series. If he can bring the energy that Uncle Grandpa had, then these shorts could be a better fit for the Looney Tunes.

I also like to hear that the new series will be storyboard-driven using multiple artists and styles. That could give them a lot more freedom that Wabbit/NLT seemed to lack.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
This greatly intrigues me. It's kind of odd we're hearing about this while New Looney Tunes - which is trying to accomplish something very similar - is still going on. However, while I think that falls kind of flat in some regards, especially in season 1, this has a far better chance at success. Not only are Warner Bros going more all out with the distribution, but the fact the writing is artist-driven already puts this at a pretty big advantage, as that was a large part of the original shorts' charm that is sadly missing from most attempts at bringing the franchise to a modern audience.

Toons Fan

This greatly intrigues me. It's kind of odd we're hearing about this while New Looney Tunes - which is trying to accomplish something very similar - is still going on. However, while I think that falls kind of flat in some regards, especially in season 1, this has a far better chance at success. Not only are Warner Bros going more all out with the distribution, but the fact the writing is artist-driven already puts this at a pretty big advantage, as that was a large part of the original shorts' charm that is sadly missing from most attempts at bringing the franchise to a modern audience.

Matt Craig announced on his Facebook that New Looney Tunes is ending after it's upcoming 3rd season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeanBurrito25

Hmm. Looks like WB Animation is trying to give the Paul Rudish Mickey shorts a run for their money.

Honestly, this news came out of nowhere and the fact that Warner Bros still cares about Looney Tunes enough to invest this much in the franchise nowadays is pretty remarkable. Glad to see Pete Browngardt has been doing well since Uncle Grandpa ended. The creator shorts centric episodes of UG always brought in a bunch of unique and fun styles, so I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

zlens

I have mixed feelings about this, in one hand I really like these characters and they deserve to stay in people's minds and don´t becoming faded memories. This art looks better that what they have done since the early 90s, but in the other hand, most modern animation, with some exceptions, leave me mostly unimpressed, specially most reboots, revivals and the like. I know there's potential to make wonderful stuff with these guys, but the thing is, ain´t seeing any yet other that Daffy's Rhapsody. I know its hard to top the vintage shorts, but it seems like they don't even try. Wabbit has like, a really good short in my humble opinión, the one with that female fox, (don't look at me like I´m a weirdo, I'm taking about the gags and story, not about her :) even if it has some pacing problems in the middle of the cartoon) and that's it. Don't let me start with that Looney Sitcom Show (the less said about it the better, it did have its moments but not enough to make a complete great short).

Besides, there's already new looney tunes shorts, they are called ¨New Looney Tunes¨ and those are already on TV, it seems they didn't make a big impression if not even the execs remember they just approve to made them.

The point is... Would kill the execs to just make new original characters for new cartoons, instead of dragging these old folks around? These characters are from a different time, the 90s revivals were more successful because the original shorts were still fresh to people and most folks didn´t think of them as replacements, now people would think of these new shorts as cheap substitutes, the classic shorts are tame in some aspects compared to today cartoons, but in others, there are many situations and the like, even some apparent minimal details, that made the cartoons as funny as they are, that in no way in heck would the execs let them use today.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts