Looney Tunes Altered Versions Discussion v2 (or, the Looney Tunes Dumping Ground)

Daffyfan2002

$enior member
(you can sometimes hear Mel Blanc or Arthur Q. Bryan in the beginning of some dialogue scenes lul)
Though I don't really think that's a bad thing. After all, this cartoon is being notable for being Art's last performance as Elmer. Good to hear that voice one more time. :)

LooneyTuney18

Though I don't really think that's a bad thing. After all, this cartoon is being notable for being Art's last performance as Elmer. Good to hear that voice one more time. :)
Art voiced Elmer until his death in 1959. And this is just not how works a dub; you're not supposed to hear English voice actors when the characters are speaking normally.

LooneyTuney18

Sorry for double posting, but I just found out that Odor of the Day's English audiotrack on Boomerang France uses the m/e track as is (with only the "Gesundheit" at the end being here), while the French one sounds like it was synced with an unrestored print (probably to restore any vocal performance like sneezings). I believe WB only sent them the m/e track without those vocal performances, but it gets awkward Wellington and/or Pepé are supposed to sneeze. They could have either dub everything like in the English version or synce it since the beginning.

Squidinator

idk how far you are on this project, but i suggest that you shouldn't sync dubs that used the blue ribbon versions to footage of the original versions, so that you don't have to cut up the audio and potentially ruin it
nonetheless i support your valiant efforts :)

NewBogus :)

You're fired!
idk how far you are on this project, but i suggest that you shouldn't sync dubs that used the blue ribbon versions to footage of the original versions, so that you don't have to cut up the audio and potentially ruin it
nonetheless i support your valiant efforts :)

I synced about 600 shorts from 1934 to 1995, for which I found Polish audio taken from VHS lectored releases or Canal+/VHS/DVD dubbings.
BTW: I'm syncing as close as WB technics would do for the DVD/Blu-ray release. See for example this:WB for remastered version of this short on DVD used the reissue print audiotrack, instead of making a redub with new Elmer's voice.

LooneyTuney18

BTW: I'm syncing as close as WB technics would do for the DVD/Blu-ray release. See for example this:WB for remastered version of this short on DVD used the reissue print audiotrack, instead of making a redub with new Elmer's voice.
Did they ever "redub" in Polish the original title screens of pre-1948 Blue Ribbon shorts on DVD? They did that for some French and LA Spanish redubs for example. (below, a comparison of three differents ways Back Alley Oproar had its original opening redubbed in French)

Last edited:

You're fired!
- WB redubbed in the Polish dubbing for example opening title credits for Baby Bottleneck, 1946 while remastering this short for DVD in 2005.

Anyways, a little surprise from old CN Spain airings of "Speaking of the Weather" around 2004-2005:
I thought that both NTSC and PAL Dubbed Version prints of this short would have their original ending music cue replaced with 1941-1955 MM ending music cue.
Comparing to what @LooneyTuney18 uploaded on his Vimeo account, the Region 2 DVD release of this short on French Audiotrack has its original ending music cue replaced with 1941-1955 MM ending music cue. The same thing is for Goofy Groceries, 1941 - the PAL 1995 audiotracks replace their original ending music cue with 1941-1955 MM ending theme, while French audiotrack on DVD release has its altered ending music cue replaced with the original ending music theme.
And yeah, this scene is left intact on the PAL 1995 Dubbed Version print.

Last edited:

Daffyfan2002

$enior member
Sorry for double posting, but I just found out that Odor of the Day's English audiotrack on Boomerang France uses the m/e track as is (with only the "Gesundheit" at the end being here), while the French one sounds like it was synced with an unrestored print (probably to restore any vocal performance like sneezings). I believe WB only sent them the m/e track without those vocal performances, but it gets awkward Wellington and/or Pepé are supposed to sneeze. They could have either dub everything like in the English version or synce it since the beginning.

I wonder about that one too since some sources have said Pepe doesn't speak with a French accent in that cartoon, but I recall seeing that cartoon before and hearing a hint of Pepe's accent there, but that could just be my ears. Heck, even other sources say that's a different skunk altogether:

:melissa::evil::tweety: Heck, even other sources say that's a different skunk.

Who knows?

LooneyTuney18

I wonder about that one too since some sources have said Pepe doesn't speak with a French accent in that cartoon, but I recall seeing that cartoon before and hearing a hint of Pepe's accent there, but that could just be my ears. Heck, even other sources say that's a different skunk altogether:

:melissa::evil::tweety: Heck, even other sources say that's a different skunk.

Who knows?
Since WB remastered it in the Looney Tunes Super Stars' Pepé Le Pew DVD, I'd say it is Pepé. And yeah, he doesn't have a French accent in this one

You're fired!
Another interesting error (credits goes to @Cool_Cat as usual):

For some reason, Latin Spanish 1995 dubbing of A Wild Hare retains the "Carole Lombard" line.

Meanwhile, Super RTL in Germany shortened the Bugs and Willoughby falling' gag in "The Heckling Hare", 1941

Last edited:

Squidinator

btw a while ago i found a listing for the vhs that had the polish voice-over of Porky's Tire Trouble, Porky's Pony Express, Impatient Patient, etc. and it has more episodes that aren't online
Porky Pig i Przyjaciele
still don't know where the voice-overs of Fin 'n Catty, Flop Goes the Weasel, A Tale of Two Kitties, or Timid Toreador came from though

i also found a listing for an EFW Welpol dvd that included episodes that also aren't online
ŚWINKA PORKY I PRZYJACIELE BAJKOWE PRZYGODY Kalisz - Sprzedajemy.pl

also, a dub i've never heard of, by Cass Film
Świnka Porky i przyjaciele (seria Księga Bajek) - Cass Film | Film | Dystrybutorzy filmowi | merlin.pl

Cool_Cat

It looks like I guessed the date of that version right :p

DCT is another method of compressing to avoid subsampling as far as I know. As for the audio channels, channel 1&2 is a stereo track for an example. Some do dual mono like this one, some other broadcast masters (often the multitrack versions) use one of the two channels. That's why for an example the Brazilian dub was heard on one of the stereo channels in USA airings.

You're fired!
View attachment 237601

It looks like I guessed the date of that version right :p

DCT is another method of compressing to avoid subsampling as far as I know. As for the audio channels, channel 1&2 is a stereo track for an example. Some do dual mono like this one, some other broadcast masters (often the multitrack versions) use one of the two channels. That's why for an example the Brazilian dub was heard on one of the stereo channels in USA airings.

Do these information about the print come from the restored version of this short?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts