Looney Tunes Altered Versions Discussion v2 (or, the Looney Tunes Dumping Ground)

EmitterCollector

Just another brick in the wall... of Wackyland!
@EmitterCollector They did actually. They even aired shorts not shown on Boomerang Italy like Get Rich Quick Porky or It’s an Ill Wind (both aired on Rai 2 anyway).
Wikipedia Romania says this (translated from romanian by myself)

"Looney Tunes premiered on the Cartoon Network channel on 1st September 1998 and on Boomerang on 5th June 2005, broadcasting only pre-1948 shorts from the AAP library."

Also, the absence of Gabby the Goat in the list of people who dubbed the characters further confirms it.

NewBogus :)

You're fired!
Wikipedia Romania says this (translated from romanian by myself)

"Looney Tunes premiered on the Cartoon Network channel on 1st September 1998 and on Boomerang on 5th June 2005, broadcasting only pre-1948 shorts from the AAP library."

Also, the absence of Gabby the Goat in the list of people who dubbed the characters further confirms it.

Actually, LT pre-1948 shorts premiered on 4th September 2000 on Cartoon Network Poland / CEE and they aired until the introduction of Hungarian and Romanian audiotracks all the post-January 1934-pre-August 1948 color LT/MM shorts.

MTGM

The US Turner Dub of Little Orphan Airedale actually has the 1941-1955 MWRA ending cue, as seen here on a Boomerang App WEBRip I did back in 2017:
I also had a copy of it when it aired on Boomerang a couple of years ago, but I can't find it now :(
Old post but here's a supplementary clip to your claim:

LooneyTuney18

I was inspired by @NewBogus :)'s dubbing comparisons to make this.

If you want my opinion, the first dub (seemingly made for TV) is the best (better m/e track and voice acting). The second one (from one of the MGM/UA VHSes) has several mixing issues (you can sometimes hear Mel Blanc or Arthur Q. Bryan in the beginning of some dialogue scenes lul) and worse acting.

You're fired!
- I don't remember whether I shared this, but here it is... - sourced from The Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Volume 5 Laserdisc.

You're fired!
Sorry for double post, but after checking the commentary audiotrack of I Love to Singa, I can tell that the commentary was done over the rerelease audiotrack. You can see the difference, by hearing the reissue opening music cue played near the end of the original opening titles (like WB did with the remastering this short in Latin Spanish).

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
With the WarnerMedia reorganization this could be the opportunity for CN to upgrade the prints of some of the classic WB cartoons to ones derived from restored home media releases, in particular cartoons formerly part of the a.a.p. package. It's about time the original release versions of cartoons like Back Alley Oproar, Crowing Pains and You Were Never Duckier air on TV.

MTGM

With the WarnerMedia reorganization this could be the opportunity for CN to upgrade the prints of some of the classic WB cartoons to ones derived from restored home media releases, in particular cartoons formerly part of the a.a.p. package. It's about time the original release versions of cartoons like Back Alley Oproar, Crowing Pains and You Were Never Duckier air on TV.
I've stated this somewhere before but I disagree. The DVD remasters are readily available for purchase in stores and online (for the most part), while a lot of the older prints are hard to find and still deserve some sort of preservation. As it usually goes, once they switch from an older a.a.p. or Turner print to a remastered print, the older prints are usually never seen again.

There's also the fact that the linear Cartoon Network/Boomerang channels have been greatly ignoring the Looney Tunes library for the past 4 or 5 years, cycling through the same 100-300 shorts every year with little to no real variety. The Boomerang channel now only airs the LT block for one hour at 10a.m. on weekdays only with the same selection of cartoons every week, indicating that they pretty much don't care anymore.

LooneyTuney18

I agree with @MTGM about the fact that older prints need some (public) preservation. Howerver, Boomerang France for instance already uses lots of GC/SS transfers even though it doesn't focus a lot on them, so I'm wondering, why CN/Boomerang US couldn't? Some shorts (like Back Alley Oproar) still air with their dubbed version, tho (probably because the redub was made with the dubbed version, which has reissue titles).

Cool_Cat

It’s not really as easy as you’d think it is. WB has these files containing from 3 to 9 shorts each with one or multiple audio tracks synced on prior which were meant to be sent to TV stations on tape, or these days through digital delivery.

For an example on RSI La 1 they manually synced the Italian audio on the HD versions, but that also means there had to be a video editor there to be paid for the job. With the huge TV fee Swiss people pay I don’t think they have a budget problem there...

On Boomerang I’m pretty sure they synced the French audio on some remastered copy, while keeping the older ones on others (when you see the “white lines” on the top, that’s the VITC timecode, it means it comes from the old Betacam tapes).

In any case, I’ve never been a fan of WB’s restorations. They first scan them in logarithmic, then they color correct later, and to me they look far too innatural to me, when compared for an example to the Disney Treasures versions.

Also, I’m the type of guy who’s interested in legacy video formats and such, so every time they “upgrade” to the HD versions it’s bad news for me but not for other people. Obviously if they do what they did in the UK by ONLY airing the shorts available in HD and heavily censoring them to the point Chuck Jones would be rolling in his grave, then that’s bad for everyone.

You're fired!
Speaking of the LT tape order. Is it for me, or 1995 Turner prints of Dog Daze, Egghead Rides Again, Of Fox and Hounds and One Meat Brawl were taken from the same tapes?

Cool_Cat

I think One Meat Brawl and Of Fox and Hounds were remastered in the same batch for sure, but they could have shifted the order like they did many times.

For an example Stage Door Cartoon and The Unruly Hare are in the same one, and they were remastered differently. The first must come from the same batch as Elmer's Candid Camera, while the later is like Sniffles Bells the Cat and Daffy Duck Slept Here.

You're fired!
Yeah, yeah, this came from the spammer kids on YT, but:

Can somebody tell where can I find The Bear's Tale with mixed 1995 m/e+original audiotrack, ofc. reissue print?

luki

It Exist a better existing print of "What's my lion?" than the "easy to find" fadded print?

You're fired!
I agree with @MTGM about the fact that older prints need some (public) preservation. Howerver, Boomerang France for instance already uses lots of GC/SS transfers even though it doesn't focus a lot on them, so I'm wondering, why CN/Boomerang US couldn't? Some shorts (like Back Alley Oproar) still air with their dubbed version, tho (probably because the redub was made with the dubbed version, which has reissue titles).

But even the redub can be easily synced if they do know how to do it. See on example of LTGC2 DVD in Poland. "Back Alley Oproar" reissue audiotrack (with 1941-1945 MWRA opening theme) was synced into the DVD master. The same for "Little Red Walking Hood" (unaired on TV Puls 2, but remastered at the same time as "The Bear's Tale", which was aired by TV Puls in 2014-2017.

Remastering process is unavoidable, and sooner or later, most shorts will be shown with the restored prints on Boomerang or other local channels.

BTW: Is it for me, or the 1995 altered endcards were cleaned for the further reruns. See on example of TV Puls 2 rips of LT shorts.
- taken from Case of Missing Hare, 1942
- taken from Aloha Hooey, 1942

Last edited:

Cool_Cat

I made one big discovery. On the american feeds the wrong aspect ratio/X axis/brightness depends on the tape they were taken from.

vlcsnap-2019-03-20-22h47m53s38.png

vlcsnap-2019-03-20-22h48m06s170.png

These two in fact come from the same tape. You can see from the PAL version how they look identical.

vlcsnap-2019-03-20-22h50m00s23.png

vlcsnap-2019-03-20-22h50m10s140.png

There are more obvious examples. One is Tweety's S.O.S. and Tweety and the Beanstalk.

vlcsnap-2019-03-20-22h52m42s118.png

vlcsnap-2019-03-20-22h52m51s209.png

Another example is Tweet Tweet Tweet, Home Tweet Home, Ain't She Tweet and Room and Bird (I'm too lazy to upload the screenshots sorry), or Louvre Come Back to Me, Heaven Scent and A Scent of the Matterhorn.

Those PAL versions airing in american feeds were converted to 480i starting from VHS releases in Latin America back in 1990. In other words CN doesn't have to do anything with "speeding them up", they were like that for years. I believe they used them at the time for m/e tracks, while the rest came later, even though there are a few "duplicates", for an example A Scent of Matterhorn exists in both the 1990 "25fps" version which was sourced from the Video Show print and a later copy (which looks identical to All a Bir-r-r-rd and Cats A-Weigh), both with the m/e track.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts