Looney Tunes Altered Versions Discussion v2 (or, the Looney Tunes Dumping Ground)

NewBogus :)

You're fired!
Lol, I thought both US and EU prints had this scene cut.
BTW: The original ending music cue was replaced with 1941-1955 MWRA one on its EU print.

vlcsnap-2018-09-25-20h15m48s914.png

Cool_Cat

I discovered something pretty big so I may just as well share it.

WHV released many VHS tapes in Spain back in the 80s. These were also released in Latin America (at least in Mexico) but they did an improper PAL to NTSC conversion on the fly, coming from the PAL masters released in the Spanish counterpart.

Well... it turns out ALL those PAL masters airing on CN in the Americas come from these collections.

And that's not all. The Spanish muxes were selected probably somewhere around 1990-ish to be used with the m/e tracks.

I noticed the Italian dub cards of these versions match too.

You're fired!
Lol, Italian redub of "Daffy Duck and the Dinosaur" really messes up with opening title cue. :D

Is this a.a.p. print of this short, or non-1995 dubbed version print?

Last edited:

Cool_Cat

@NewBogus :) Yes they aired the old prints on 3 Bugs Bunny shorts, but with the redubs. These were Wackiki Wabbit, The Wabbit who Came to Supper and Super Rabbit. The audio seems unfiltered on those, so they mostly come from different tapes than the ones they use.

It also looks like in the Pepe le Pew VHS released in Italy they dumped in the whole Spanish tape with Italian audio. Literally all the "PAL masters" airing in America of Pepe are on it, and A Scent of the Matterhorn is the Video Show version.

You're fired!
- Another short with US altered ending music cue, EU print has its original ending music cue retained (according to the Spanish Castellanian Dubbed Version)

It looks like, all redubs of "Backwoods Bunny", 1959 (Polish, Russian, etc.) have canned audio during the opening music cue.

StickerBoy

Okay, so now with what we've already found, here's what's left that we've yet to find in the list of colorized Looney Tunes and Harman-Isling Merrie Melodies shorts:

List of computer-colorized Looney Tunes shorts yet to be found:
Boom Boom (1936)
Westward Whoa (1936)
Porky's Railroad (1937)
Porky's Double Trouble (1937)
Porky At The Crocadero (1938)
What Price Porky (1938) (clips from that version are found here: What Price Porky? (1938) - 1995 Computer Colorized Scenes)
Porky's Phoney Express (1938)
Porky In Egypt (1938) (A clip from that version of the short is found among this video: Cartoon Network commercial breaks (October 8, 2000) - Part 2)
Kristopher Kolumbus Jr. (1939)
Polar Pals (1939)
Scalp Trouble (1939)
Pied Piper Porky (1939)
The Film Fan (1939)
Pilgrim Porky (1940) (Framegrabs can be found at IMDB's page for the short)
Porky's Ant (1941)
Porky's Prize Pony (1941)
Meet John Doughboy (1941) (Although a framegrab from the short is found online: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...Yjc5ODFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI5NjUyMDM@._V1_.jpg)
Robinson Crusoe, Jr. (1941)
Confusions Of A Nutzy Spy (1943)
Scrap Happy Daffy (A few bits from the version can be found here: Scrap Happy Daffy (1943) - Scenes from the 1995 Computer Colorized Version)

List of Turner redrawn colorized B&W pre-1934 Merrie Melodies shorts yet to be found:
One More Time (1931)
Red-Headed Baby (1931)
Pagan Moon (1932)
Freddy The Freshman (1932)
Crosby, Columbo, And Vallee (1932)
Goopy Geer (1932)
It's Got Me Again! (1932)
Moonlight For Two (1932)
The Queen Was In The Parlor (1932)
I Love A Parade (1932)
I Wish I Had Wings (1932)
A Great Big Bunch Of You (1932)
Three's A Crowd (1932)
The Shanty Where Santy Claus Lives (1933)
One Step Ahead Of My Shadow (1933)
The Organ Grinder (1933)
Wake Up The Gypsy In Me (1933)
Shuffle Off To Buffalo (1933)
The Dish Ran Away With The Spoon (1933)

If any copies of the colorized copies of these shorts turn up, inform me via PM.

Cool_Cat

@StickerBoy

Well, I wouldn't say that :p

vlcsnap-2018-10-28-16h14m28s156.png

The Turner ones were all used for the Time Out Cin.ca dubs, so just wait until they show up in Italy again.

EDIT: Polar Pals colorized airs on Boomerang Italy, just wait until they air it again.

Last edited:

You're fired!
A little comparison between the aspect ratios of one of the MM shorts. Sorry for bad quality of LD print:

From the beginning:
1) The Golden Age of Looney Tunes Laserdisc Print
2) TVP1 lectored version airing from 1990's
3) TV Puls rerun of the 1995 EU dubbed version
4) Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 3 DVD print

Part 1
F6zE3hK.png

XhirHMi.png

rqolZzC.png

ctCnHxn.png

Part 2
ZGyDvQT.png

J811WtP.png

gIteeGu.png

8EbKmDs.png

Part 3
WaPq3YO.png

3ThORzy.png

W81u5n3.png

Pi7FT0I.png

Part 4
9qpYWox.png

pctjiFK.png

wlX2HtN.png

7H7HL4y.png

You're fired!
You remember, when BM CEE aired "Book Revue", on Polish audio it had some dialogues replaced with English audio. It seems that, they mistakenly mixed the clean 1995 m/e track over the Polish audio, so now everything seems clear to me, why some dialogues had been heard in English only..

The same thing was done over the TV Puls/Puls 2 reruns of this short with the restored print, but in P/P2 case, both Polish and English dialogues were mixed together.

So now I know how to reconstruct the 1995 m/e track for this short. :D

AlbanianCNfan

I remember i found one Merrie Melodies short from an CN Romania airing from 2005 but i forgot the name.

Cool_Cat

@EmitterCollector They did actually. They even aired shorts not shown on Boomerang Italy like Get Rich Quick Porky or It’s an Ill Wind (both aired on Rai 2 anyway).

LooneyTuney18

I just noted that, those music cues from 5:32 to 5:57 are the exact same ones in the same order that are used at the end of the Italian redub of Slick Hare (evidenced by the use of The Wacky Wabbit's MWRA rendition after them). So this means they used bits of The Wacky Wabbit's m/e track to replace that of Slick Hare. Now I still can't figure why they made a change to the track Turner sent them, which has more appropriate cues in the final scene. :/

You're fired!

You remember the discussion, when I mentioned that House Hunting Mice, 1947 restored soundtrack came from the 1995 Dubbed version print? I made a little comparison, in which you can see that a.a.p. audiotrack sounds far better than the WB restored track for Mouse Chronicles release.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts