Looney Tunes Altered Versions Discussion v2 (or, the Looney Tunes Dumping Ground)

Orange Mo

orangemo
Honestly I’m glad the new restorations for HBO Max are akin to the Golden Collection unlike the Platinum where they look like they were restored to death. Too bad the only 12 being restored are Bugs Bunny cartoons.

NewBogus :)

You're fired!

At 0:00, It looks like I was wrong that pre-1934 MM short were not dubbed for Canal+ Poland airings. Why they weren't shown by TV Puls 2 last time? I don't know and I don't understand their decision.

Last edited:

Cool_Cat

It looks like the colorized versions were converted to PAL more than once. These two are not the same, but they both have Italian audio.

The same goes for Porky's Bear Facts where in this case it's the Boomerang version having the bad tint, the K1 copy other than looking better had a freeze frame on the WB logo with the soundtrack replaced.

The Boomerang version of Porky's Hare Hunt is a modern NTSC to PAL conversion.

You're fired!
"Jack-Wabbit and Beanstalk" on HBO Max was released with 1995 "Turner Dubbed Version" soundtrack. :(

But "Knights Must Fall", 1949 and "Hare Splitter", 1948 have their original opening rings remastered!

LooneyTuney18

WHV announced a few days ago a 3-disc Bugs Bunny Blu-ray set for his 80th anniversary. It's set to release on November 3rd in the US and the 4th in France and UK. It will include 60 shorts of which the great majority is new-to-disc (including the HBO Max shorts).

Highlights include several LTSS shorts being presented in their proper 4x3 aspect ratio and Prince Violent with its original titles! The first 10 LTC shorts featuring Bugs are also presented as a special feature.

Unfortunately though, there's seemingly no plans for other international releases at the moment :/

Last edited:

Daffyrocks

Science prevails!
At least we will see new remastered shorts. :)

At first, I thought that those restorations of the Bugs Bunny cartoons which premiered on HBO Max were actually made and planned directly for this Blu-ray set, which they started working on a few months ago. However, after seeing that in August only Golden Collection and Platinum Collection prints will be put on the classic Looney Tunes section, it seems that this theory of mine may have been wrong. As I heard that in August no new never-before-seen restorations of LT shorts will be put on the streaming service, which is sad. (at least HBO Max has one-shot characters shorts and other recurring characters, which the Boomerang app simply ignored, as they only have sections of shorts with main/recurring characters).

I hope that this Blu-ray set will fix the problem of "Jack-Wabbit and The Beanstalk", and restore its original non-dubbed audiotrack. I can't wait to see "Prince Violent" with original titles!

BTW, is it true that "A Wild Hare" was restored for both the Academy Awards DVD and Platinum Collection Blu-ray releases with the WB zooming shield logo taken and digitally edited from "A Gander at Mother Goose"? At least this is what @NewBogus :) told me.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're fired!
BTW, is it true that "A Wild Hare" was restored for both the Academy Awards DVD and Platinum Collection Blu-ray releases with the WB zooming shield logo taken and digitally edited from "A Gander at Mother Goose"? At least this is what @NewBogus :) told me.

Yes, both were restored at the same time, as LTGC5 was released in 2007.
vlcsnap-2020-07-31-20h42m46s994.png

vlcsnap-2020-07-31-20h41m54s674.png

Yeah, the Copyright logo font looks different, but "A Wild Hare" originally had WB zooming shield logo similar to the one used on "Ghost Wanted" that was released 2 weeks later.
And quoting LT Fandom:
  • For the second LaserDisc version, though the original titles were found, the "original" opening Color Rings were borrowed from "A Gander at Mother Goose", albeit with the production number 9617 slapped in on the opening, hence why you see it not move during the opening. The Blue Ribbon opening audio was used for this prototype. The actual original opening rings and opening cue were not restored until 2007.
  • Originally, the opening shield was the one seen on "Ghost Wanted", and later on. The opening rings for the Wild Hare were the only one to have the then-new opening shield, and the MCMXXXX copyright. Subsequent cartoons after this one would have MCMXL as the copyright year instead.
And speaking about "A Wild Hare":

WaltWiz1901

Honestly I’m glad the new restorations for HBO Max are akin to the Golden Collection unlike the Platinum where they look like they were restored to death. Too bad the only 12 being restored are Bugs Bunny cartoons.
Actually, it seems like there were more than 12 restored recently - the upcoming Blu-ray set has apparently 32 newly restored shorts and the service as of right now has 14 (the beta version had 15).

You're fired!
It looks like that about 50 more shorts have been remastered by WB for HBO Max. As on their webpage, the thumbnails for some shorts, such as "Saddle Silly", "The Curious Puppy", "The Cat Came Back", "The Gay Anties" are shown.

And according to @Cool_Cat's information on the other forum, RSI La 1 aired "Double or Mutton" with m/e track played simultaneously with Italian audiotrack (at least not badly muted as in the case of some LTGC5/6 special features + Nasty Quacks + The Squawkin' Hawk).

And for some reaason, "Rabbit's Kin" and "Ballot Box Bunny" on Region 2 release of "Bugs Bunny: Wascally Wabbit" use the 1997/98 "Dubbed Version" transfers, instead of using newly restored masters from LTGC1D1.

PF9

Can anyone please compile a list of what a.a.p. package color shorts have been newly remastered for HBOmax? And continue to maintain the list as new shorts are released?

Because once they all are restored, I could POSSIBLY sign up for a free trial to watch them.

LooneyTuney18

Can anyone please compile a list of what a.a.p. package color shorts have been newly remastered for HBOmax? And continue to maintain the list as new shorts are released?

Because once they all are restored, I could POSSIBLY sign up for a free trial to watch them.
Here you have it:

Beauty and the Beast
Mr and Mrs is the Name
Billboard Frolics
The Cat Came Back
Let It Be Me
Bingo Crosbyana
Boulevardier From the Bronx
I Only Have Eyes For You
Ain't We Got Fun
Egghead Rides Again
Dog Daze
The Lyin' Mouse
The Penguin Parade
Cinderella Meets Fella
The Mice Will Play
Hamateur Night
Robin Hood Makes Good
Dangerous Dan McFoo
The Curious Puppy
Busy Bakers
Ceiling Hero
Good Night Elmer
Elmer's Pet Rabbit
The Crackpot Quail
Hold the Lion, Please
Showtime for Comedy
The Bug Parade
Saddle Silly
The Cagey Canary
Hop, Skip and a Chump
The Bird Came C.O.D.
Dog Tired
Ding Dog Daddy
Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk
What's Cookin' Doc?
Racketeer Rabbit
From Hand to Mouse
Behind the Meatball
The Goofy Gophers

PF9

Thank you.

Be sure to add new titles as they are put on HBOmax please.

I plan on keeping the link to the post in my signature.

Cool_Cat

At least half of those really needed a new version. It really feels like they selected all the shorts which looked terrible (even though I know it's just a coincidence). Even if they botch the remaster, they'll look a lot better.

I don't trust them on the audio though :wolfie:

LooneyTuney18

At least half of those really needed a new version. It really feels like they selected all the shorts which looked terrible (even though I know it's just a coincidence). Even if they botch the remaster, they'll look a lot better.

I don't trust them on the audio though :wolfie:
I agree, they might use the dubbed version audio for some of them at least with edited ending music unfortunately :/. They should really use the LD prints' audiotrack instead though, they usually sound way better.

PF9

Another thing I'd like to know

What shorts previously Blue Ribbon'd have their original titles restored among the newly-remastered a.a.p. package cartoons?

LooneyTuney18

Another thing I'd like to know

What shorts previously Blue Ribbon'd have their original titles restored among the newly-remastered a.a.p. package cartoons?
Nobody can tell right now, we'll have to wait a HBO Max subscriber to tell us when they come out.

LooneyTuney18

So the new HBO Max restorations came up and look beautiful, but they have several issues.

Notably, for some reason, most of those remasters have digitally-edited rings and title card borders (some of them really look awful) to fit the whole screen, instead of the usual black borders. They also could've resized the title cards like they did for some Platinum Collection remasters.

Also, Ding Dog Daddy is missing part of its opening, some shorts have altered ending cues because of the use of 1995 Turner tracks, The Penguin Parade has its opening put after the ending and finally I Wish I Had Wings uses the 1995 m/e track instead of the English audio! I wonder how could any of this pass quality control...

Nonetheless, as I said the restorations themselves are really gorgeous.

Last edited:

You're fired!
And some non-PC shorts, such as "Ceiling Hero", "From Hand to Mouse", "Behind the Meatball" were removed 2 days after being released on HBO Max. Probably, they will be replaced with family-friendly shorts.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Jada Pinkett Smith's new animated short "Cops and Robbers" nearly ended up on Nick rather than Netflix Jada Pinkett Smith on Police Brutality and Animated Short ‘Cops and Robbers’ (EXCLUSIVE)
What's up with Mattel's fondness with Scare Glow in new Masters of the Universe merchandise? Maybe because he's a FREAKING SKELETON THAT GLOWS IN THE DARK, which is more toyetic than a guy with just a skull for a face, like Skeletor.
I'm the only one here to have a merman as an avatar.
Vuxovich wrote on Tacomaster's profile.
Do you know the reason why PPGZ never aired in North America, most of Europe, the Middle East and Africa? I still think that the reason why PPGZ never aired in the US was because a dub separate from the Ocean Group one was planned for the American audience, but never materialized.