Looking Back: Wayside

Dynamite Soldier

wayside-show.jpg

Does anyone here remembers Wayside?

It is about a school that was originally supposed to be a 30-room building; but instead it was turned into a 30-story building. Meanwhile, Todd is a new kid that just started Wayside School.

The show did aired on Nickelodeon in June 2007, then Nicktoons in September 2007. Sadly, it is out of the U.S. airwaves. Nicktoons is all action and adventure; so it won't return Wayside; unless if it replaces the 7AM Making Fiends hour (MK has a very low episode count; it's time for a retirement). As for Nickelodeon, I would like it if they return the show, if they improve on their schedule; however, if it were to return on Nick, it would probably be at at early Saturday/Sunday/Weekend morning.

My favorite characters in this show were Mr. Kidswatter (stupid, but funny), Maurecia (tough, which I like, but even more funnier), Dana ((laughs) "Enough with the laughter". Boy, that always crack me up) and Sharie (yes, the sleepy one).

My favorite episodes were "Wayside Christmas" (the Christmas special) and the season 2 episodes (Especially the episodes animated in flash - so Canadian!).

So did you like this show or not? I certainly like it for its humor - but sometimes it also taught me lessons about friendship and trusting, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Given that a Wayside book is my all-time favorite book, I always wanted to see what this was like, but I couldn't (no cable). I'd like to do a site article on it vs. my expectations....whenever I can find it.

stephane dumas

It's still in reruns on Teletoon in Canada. They are some characters who are a "one-episode wonder" but so funny like Mrs. Jewls father and Goon, Dana's older brother in "Oh! Brother", you wish then they should do a 2nd cameo appearance. The Chef, who appeared first in "French Fried" and then in "Le Race" is a kind of potential for a recurring villain who could replace Mrs Gorf.

I think they pulled the plug too soon and Wayside should had desserved 2 or 3 more seasons.

ferrisjso

I remember this show.It premiered back in 2007.To me it was one simply one of a series of bad shows that premiered in the aftermath of the regime change at Nick in the winter of 05-06 which completly ruined the quality of the chanell IMO.I felt like this show was'nt very original being based on Wayside stories.I never really watched this show as it just was'nt my thing but i never really hated it(around that time they were alot of shows i HATED)or had any strong feeling s about it.I feel like 1 season of 26 eppies was a good run for a show like this as it was'nt really good

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Anyway, I don't think I've seen Wayside since it stopped airing in the U.S. I do remember liking it, though. Maybe I'll watch it again at some point to see if it holds up.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmileyToonatic

Yes! I remember Wayside! I remember watching this show all the time in the summer of 2007 (I was 9 years old at that time) I always loved the theme song, it sounds so nostalgic and upbeat. I loved the characters too, like Todd, Maurecia, Dana, Myron and Mrs. Jewels. Mr. Kidswatter was also really funny, and Louis was a cool character too. My favorite episodes were Age of Aquarium, My Partner Gets All the Credit, Louis Gets Some Class, and Sideways Protest. The only thing I never understood was why Nick never aired the pilot movie. It remains as one of my favorite cartoons of all time!

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Yeah, I remember Wayside. I first watched it in the summer of 2009 when I was bored (and that's not fun) and wanted to watch Nickelodeon (just to "expand my horizons") and this show caught my attention. A good, colorful design, nice animation and a good theme song.

Too bad that this show is not airing on a channel of my knowledge anymore, maybe it's not even airing anywhere in any country.

SmileyToonatic

Yeah, I remember Wayside. I first watched it in the summer of 2009 when I was bored (and that's not fun) and wanted to watch Nickelodeon (just to "expand my horizons") and this show caught my attention. A good, colorful design, nice animation and a good theme song.

Too bad that this show is not airing on a channel of my knowledge anymore, maybe it's not even airing anywhere in any country.

Ha ha! I totally get the theme song reference! And you mentioned seeing Wayside in 2009. In the United States it debuted in 2007, two years earlier, on Nickelodeon. What channel was it on in your country? Did it premiere for you in 2009 or you just didn't see it until 2009?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Ha ha! I totally get the theme song reference! And you mentioned seeing Wayside in 2009. In the United States it debuted in 2007, two years earlier, on Nickelodeon. What channel was it on in your country? Did it premiere for you in 2009 or you just didn't see it until 2009?
Nickelodeon Portugal got Nickelodeon Central and Eastern Europe with Portuguese audio until September 2009. I just didn't see it until June/July of that year, which was when I started watching the channel regularly. I don't know when exactly did it premiere there (I'm certain that it was in 2008) but since I didn't pay attention to Nickelodeon at the time, I can't actually tell.

SmileyToonatic

Nickelodeon Portugal got Nickelodeon Central and Eastern Europe with Portuguese audio until September 2009. I just didn't see it until June/July of that year, which was when I started watching the channel regularly. I don't know when exactly did it premiere there (I'm certain that it was in 2008) but since I didn't pay attention to Nickelodeon at the time, I can't actually tell.

Did you watch the English dub of Wayside or the Portuguese dub?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Did you watch the English dub of Wayside or the Portuguese dub?
The European Portuguese dub, whose theme song sounded like this:
A few years later the show reran on Kidsco (a channel that shut down a couple of years ago) but with a different dub (because of rights issues). I did not have the channel so I didn't notice it back then.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Sorry to revive this after almost 4 months, but I thought I'd mention this in case anyone is looking to watch Wayside again (or for the first time if they haven't seen it). Apparently, it has an official YouTube channel where you can watch full episodes for free.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7dcd-7DQ16c_P7DA_Vljwg

Since I had my doubts at first, I'll explain how I know it really is official and not some guy claiming to be. You know that YouTube channel Nelvana launched for older content (more info here)? If you go to it and click on channels, you'll see that the Wayside channel is listed under featured channels.

So yeah, if anyone is looking to watch/rewatch Wayside, that's a good way to. All the episodes are on there, though they were uploaded out of order for some reason.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Didn't know where to post this. As part of YTV's Keep It Weird 30th Anniversary celebrations, they have released the pilot episode of Wayside online for the first time:

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts