"Lobo" Live-Action Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm sure Smith wanted it, but now after the "seemingly" under performance of Bright. . . probably not happening. I'm curious about Lobo though. It probably was too risky.
Or Johnson is more committed to Black Adam. He was still attached to Lobo at this point, right?

the greenman

Or Johnson is more committed to Black Adam. He was still attached to Lobo at this point, right?
I think Johnson was always more attached to Black Adam, at least for the past 9 years or so. Only other name for Lobo has been Danny Trejo. Last thing we heard about Lobo development was writer Jason Fuchs was working on it. Unless they go more "Cosmic" at DC, probably not attractive enough.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
IMO, this is for the best. Frankly, a Lobo film should not be a priority at all when we still need a Flash and Green Lantern film.

That said...I'm actually more interested in a Deadshot movie compared to a Harley Quinn film.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, Lobo only came up after Deadpool, when WB realized an 'R' rating can still bring in big money.

I feel like there have been talks about a Lobo movie for a while, but it gained a little more traction once Deadpool became a hit.

Otaku-sempai

I feel like there have been talks about a Lobo movie for a while, but it gained a little more traction once Deadpool became a hit.
There had been, but that includes Joel Silver's PG-13 Lobo movie that was thankfully given a mercy killing when it was still in development.

the greenman

Yeah, it can't be as bad as the current crop of DC stuff. It might be stupid and over-the- top, but who knows. So long as it keeps him away from Transformers awhile.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know since there is a thread for this (and hey it's something that was started in 2009 and has been updated for years since for new information it should still count) why don't we post the update here that DC is interested in of all people Michael Bay to direct a Lobo movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lobo-movie-will-michael-bay-direct-1083170

Now of course there's still a lot of of talk on having to scale the budget back to not be something ridiculously expensive (since yeah Michael Bay can turn a profit even with a movie with such a high budget but... obviously this would not be the same kind of "kids flick" as something like the Transformers series are. And yeah I know The Michael Bay Transformers aren't really Kids flick but I mean "film that caters to a toy franchise that has to have a PG-13 rating attached to it" sort of "kids flick" kind of thing) so it may not happen but... it's honestly not the worst idea for Lobo. Honestly for most characters in the DC Universe Michael Bay would be a terrible idea (though based on a what if itsomerandomguy video still be profitable heh heh) the Main Man honestly would be a good fit because Lobo is such an incredibly in your face, aggressive and tough in your face macho personality you would need someone with the testerone of... well a Michael Bay to really handle him. And honestly if kept to the right length and budget Michael Bay can do that based on stuff like Bad Boys and Pain and Gain. Since honestly you need that super in your face explosive attitude to separate a Lobo from a Deadpool who yeah is also loud and crude but DP is also more of a prankster, goof and sort of romantic at heart which Lobo certainly isn't but has his own sort of charm I think could work in a Bay movie.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
THR reports a few more things:
  • Current script would require $200 million
  • Bay and WB aren't "keen" on the figure
  • Jason Fuchs will rewrite
  • Bay is currently not in negotiations with the studio nor is there an offer

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know the only franchise that Bay Directed you could say he ruined was the Transformers movies which yeah had several clunkers and obviously is not how the brand should be represented but it's not like everything he touches is total crap. Granted movies he produced mix in quality (the Platinum Dunes TMNT movies aren't very good but the Purge movies can be actually pretty entertaining) but I blame the content on those to who more directly writes and directs those particular films. And like I said with the right material Michael Bay can work as seen with stuff like Pain and Gain (and honestly the Bad Boys movies for what they are would also fit in that category) that show when it comes to super meat headed morally ambigious characters, Bay actually is the right guy to direct and show them off in a movie. As Lobo is the kind of character where that excess and pig headed sensiblity if properly handled would actually work. Granted you would need a really solid writer on board as well but I could possibly see it working... but I more then likely see this movie never getting made and am kind of annoyed they bring it up as a thing they're working on without bother to update if you know... any actual work production wise on the project has moved forward.

I've talked about this before but might as well mention it here; though it does seem now that the DCEU/Worlds of DC has not only found success with non Batman and Superman movies as well as ditched most of Snyder's visions they've vastly improved, they still have a problem announcing billions upon billions of projects they're working on and acting like they're going to come out when at most all we've got is like a potential director attached or a script written which could still mean... NOTHING in regards to a movie actually getting made. It really does annoy me hearing every time these DC Projects being talked about but hearing no real work is made on them which makes me wonder what's the point of announcing them. When the MCU makes announcement or talks about a movie they're working on you know it's going to happen because again of their track record of making it happen. We only heard serious actual momentum of a Black Widow movie from them when they were actually preparing to start working on it, and now it's actually filming thus going to be made. And I expect the same with stuff like Eternals or Shang Chi. DC though... does not give me confidence in projects like Blue Beetle or Nightwing or New Gods or yeah this. Like seriously if it does happen fine but I'm starting to get Gambit vibes from projects like this that just say they have people attach and seemingly move forward and then like nothing happens over and over and over again. Especially since based on DC's schedule at earliest this movie is going to come out... 2022 which means IF it happens how about waiting until actual pre production or filming begins to actually make it seem like it's still a thing instead of trying to remind people of it just because of somewhat related news?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts