List of Classic Nicktoons (Including obscure ones)

toonfan2003

This thread is intended for people to take a look at the list and reflect back on the shows they remember or speak about shows that aired in earlier years and are still going.

Here's a list of Nicktoons (and cartoons Nick aired):

Action League Now (1995)
As Told By Ginger (2000)
Rocket Power (1999)
Rugrats (1991)
Spongebob Squarepants (1999)
Ren and Stimpy (1991)
Doug (1991)
Hey Arnold (1996)
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (1994)
Animaniacs (1993)
CatDog (1998)
KaBlam (1996)
Oh Yeah Cartoons (1998)
Pelswick (2000)
Pinky and the Brain (1995)
Rocko's Modern Life (1993)
Tiny Toon Adventures (1990)
Angry Beavers (1997)
Wild Thornberrys (1998)
David the Gnome (1987)
Adventures of the Little Koala (1987)
Franklin (1992)
Gumby (1994)
Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics (1987)
Jay Jay the Jet Plane (1998)
Kipper (1999)
Little Bear (1995)
Little Bill (1999)
Little Prince (1980s. specific year not given)
Maisy (1999)
Maple Town (1986)
Maggie and the Ferocious Beast (2000)
Maya the Bee (1990)
Muppet Babies (1992)
Dr Snuggles (1979)
Noozles (1984)
Papa Beaver's Storytime (1994)
Rupert Bear (1994)
Busy World of Richard Scary (1995)
Littl' Bits (1980)
Dora the Explorer (1999)
Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983)
Ace Ventura Pet Detective (1995)
Angela Anaconda (1999)
Back to the Future The Animated Series (1991)
Bananaman (1983)
Beetlejuice (1989)
Bump in the Night (1994)
Count Duckula (1988)
DangerMouse (1981)
Freakazoid (1995)
Garfield and Friends (1988)
George of the Jungle (1967)
Heathcliff (1980)
Inspector Gadget (1980)
Invader Zim (2001. I'M MAKING A SPECIAL EXCEPTION FOR THIS ONE)
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (1985)
Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon (1988)
Belle and Sebastian (1981)
Men in Black The Series (1997)
You're on Nickelodeon Charlie Brown (1997)
Rocky and Bullwinkle (1959)
Sailor Moon (1992)
Star Trek The Animated Series (1973)
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (1993)
Adventures of Tintin (1991)
Brothers Flub (1999)
Legend of Zelda (1989)
Smurfs (1981)
Super Mario Bros Super Show (1989)
Ulysses 31 (1981)
Underdog (1964)
Voltron (1984)

Again, not all of these cartoons are exclusive Nickelodeon productions, but they were all aired on Nickelodeon at some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Any reasons for your choices? Otherwise this is just a list thread without much substance.

toonfan2003

Well they werent really choices. Some of them I never even heard of until I did research on Nickelodeon. I was hoping people could take a look and tell whether they disagree with the listing or if they remember any obscure shows.

I know list threads are discouraged but if i had typed out info after every single show, I would have been typing for hours.

Hopefully people can look at this and be like: "I remember that!" or "What the heck is that?"

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Not to be ants-at-a-picnic, but the shows that didn't originate on Nickelodeon (Inspector Gadget, Smurfs, Underdog, Beetlejuice, etc.) aren't technically Nicktoons, since they weren't produced by Nick studios nor were they created for Nickelodeon. 3rd party acquisitions shouldn't be counted. Plus, IMHO, any show that has aired more than 5 year ago isn't automatically a "classic". People tend to toss that word around a little too liberally for my tastes.

Also, I don't remember Freakazoid! airing on Nick in 1995, or ever. That must have happened outside of the U.S..

strawberryjuice

Not to be ants-at-a-picnic, but the shows that didn't originate on Nickelodeon (Inspector Gadget, Smurfs, Underdog, Beetlejuice, etc.) aren't technically Nicktoons, since they weren't produced by Nick studios nor were they created for Nickelodeon. 3rd party acquisitions shouldn't be counted. Plus, IMHO, any show that has aired more than 5 year ago isn't automatically a "classic". People tend to toss that word around a little too liberally for my tastes.

Also, I don't remember Freakazoid! airing on Nick in 1995, or ever. That must have happened outside of the U.S..

*points at thread*

"Again, not all of these cartoons are exclusive Nickelodeon productions, but they were all aired on Nickelodeon at some time."

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
*points at thread*

"Again, not all of these cartoons are exclusive Nickelodeon productions, but they were all aired on Nickelodeon at some time."

Yes, I read that part originally, but the fact that they aired on Nick at 1 time doesn't make these shows Nicktoons. Animaniacs, Beetlejuice and Tiny Toons all aired on Cartoon Network in addition to Nickelodeon, so does that make them also Cartoon-Cartoons?

Also, I have to agree with Speedy Boris that without any summaries or descriptions, this is basically a list thread that serves no real purpose, and it's not even 100% accurate because some of the series listed are neither classics nor are they Nicktoons. Technically, the Nicktoons didn't start until 1991, with the premieres of Doug, Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy. I think that it would have better served your purpose if you only listed original animated series that were exclusive to Nickelodeon and didn't include any 3rd party acquisitions.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I know list threads are discouraged but if i had typed out info after every single show, I would have been typing for hours.

Then next time type the list, save it somewhere and wait until you could summarize your choices.

toonfan2003

OK, perhaps the thread title and the choice of the word Nicktoon was a little hasty on my part.

How about "List of Cartoons that have aired on Nickelodeon from 2000 and earlier"?

I know Dora the Explorer and Spongebob aren't considered "classics". Perhaps I should have stated I was lsiting shows that were classic or originally aired a long time ago and are still going.

What defines a "classic" anyway? If Rocko still had episodes going on to this day, would it not be considered a "classic."?

I would like this to be a thread where people can look at the list and reflect back on the shows or remember the older episodes from the shows that are still going. But since people have labeled this a "list thread" with no substance, I fear this thread will end up getting closed. But even if it does, I feel it could give people an idea of what Nicktoons and other cartoons aired during the earlier years.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Toonfan2003 said:
I know Dora the Explorer and Spongebob aren't considered "classics". Perhaps I should have stated I was lsiting shows that were classic or originally aired a long time ago and are still going.

What defines a "classic" anyway? If Rocko still had episodes going on to this day, would it not be considered a "classic."?

I don't see why or how. Again, something isn't instantly a classic just because it's old. Whether a show is still running or not has no bearing on whether it's a classic or not either. Sorry, I don't follow that reasoning at all.

Opinions will vary on what constitutes a "classic"; I personally would say it's something which is more or less universally revered and has withstood the test of time. (Disney features such as Snow White, Pinnochio and Dumbo, or Rankin-Bass' Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town are some examples that I would cite.) Any show made before this year doesn't automatically become a classic; and how can a show be a classic if only a handful of people remember it today? A production doesn't automatically become a classic by way of circumstance; it has to earn the right to be called that.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
toonfan2003 said:
I would like this to be a thread where people can look at the list and reflect back on the shows or remember the older episodes from the shows that are still going. But since people have labeled this a "list thread" with no substance, I fear this thread will end up getting closed. But even if it does, I feel it could give people an idea of what Nicktoons and other cartoons aired during the earlier years.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it is technically a list thread. Anyone can just rattle off a bunch of titles. That tells the reader almost nothing. Anyone who wants to see a long list of shows that aired on Nickelodeon can simply look them up on Wikipedia.

If I may offer some advice: It might help if, like Antiyonder suggested earlier, you could give a brief summary for each series for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with said series, or hyperlink to the info if you don't feel like typing them yourself.

And you shouldn't describe every series as a "classic" either. How can a series be a classic if it only ran for a short time and is only remembered by a select few? If you have to remind people that so-and-so show existed, then it's not a classic. Labeling everything as a classic cheapens the term; the non-classics define the classics and vice-versa. If every show is a classic, then no show is.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts