Light-hearted cartoons with creepy/scary villains

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
There is a trope noted by TV Tropes where a light-hearted cartoon can feature a particularly creepy or scary villain:

Which light-hearted cartoons do you think have the darkest villains? What do think of putting darker villains in more light-hearted cartoons?

Dr.Pepper

One that sprang to mind was the evil book in the Care Bears movie. I think she might be the darkest villain in a preschool show (that I can think of). I like it because it adds a sense of legitimate threat.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Possibly Mewtwo from Pokémon, The First Movie. Tho I’m not sure the series was 100% lighthearted, his backstory & actions in the story proper were very dark.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Coco's primary stakes are family drama for most of the first two acts. The Land of the Dead is a bright, happy wonderland until we find out you can still die in the afterlife. And then we find out Ernesto murdered Hector to steal his songs and is willing to kill again to prevent the truth from coming out.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts