Leniency on the 90's Spider-Man animated series?

Latest News & Videos

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
That kind of reminds me of Wally Burr on the original Transformers cartoon...

Kind of not surprised Mr. Kaplan had difficulty with the Green Goblin voice, but I always remember his performance on the show quite well :).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Spider-Man TAS was a terrible show in many ways but always seemed to get a free pass from animation fans. Nostalgia is my guess.

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
I think part of the nostalgia goggles/leniency on Spider-Man TAS comes from how a lot of people probably haven't actually watched trough it from the begining to the end since their childhoods. At the moment, it doesn't have a full American DVD or Blu-Ray release, and it can be a pain to track down on streaming sites (IIRC, it used to be on Hulu, but not anymore). So, a lot of people have only their memories from their childhoods, when they weren't as critical of the media they consumed, and have been able to check out only handful of random episodes as adults.

While majority of the episodes of the show have the overall flaws of the show to some extent, the seams don't start to truly show until you watch several of them in order. The constant recycling of old animation, relationships developing completely off-screen and poor pacing of some of the story-arcs are something that you probably won't notice, if you only have access to an episode or two. Although, why the voice acting of the show is seen as the golden standard for the Spider-Man characters by so many, when most of it is either hammy in all the wrong places or just plain stilted, I will never understand.

And before anyone asks why/how I can feel comfortable criticizing this show, while saying that most people probably don't even remember it clearly, I live in Finland and the entire show has been released on DVD in Region 2, so I have been able to binge through it relatively recently.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Sometimes, I feel like I'm too hard on it. A lot of guys my age cite the animated series as what got them into the Spidey fandom but I've been a huge fan since at least 2 or 3, so I had expectations from the moment that I suspected it was coming. That was when I saw the cameo during the Phoenix Saga.

Batman and X-Men TAS hit me hard as a youngster, and I just knew that when Spidey got his chance, it would be just as epic. I loved watching the old shows on VHS but it wasn't the same as getting to see an all new show, and one that was as cool as the old ones were goofy. I really had a lot of expectations.

At its peak moments, it definitely met those expectations and featured some of my favorite animated Spider-Man adventures and it did a great job introducing villains like Scorpion, Venom, Hobgoblin, etc, but it's a shame that the show didn't always meet those peaks. The post Season 1 animation dip hurt it, the overzealous censorship hurt it, and a lot of the creative choices didn't help a whole lot (IMO) but I think it did a lot of good as a generation's introduction to Spider-Man.

I can overlook the villainy of Anna Watson, nerfed versions of vampires, the Punisher, and Carnage, and the city full of linebackers, etc since it doesn't hurt Spider-Man overall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddy and Frontier

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
This show really gets a boost from nostalgia glasses and people definitely give it a pass. I find a lot of articles and comments on it now basically go "the animation had lots of problems and the stories were all over the place but if you ignore that then it's a good series." The first season is the only one that still mostly holds up today compared to the rest. It's the only one I can really watch and enjoy while the rest of the episodes I get too distracted by the excessive recycled footage as that pulls me right out of the episode and the crazy writing at times. It hasn't aged well at all especially the CG animation. Oddly I do kind of enjoy the over the top performances as it reminds me of similar dramatic comic book stories. But see even then I'm being more lenient on the show than I should be.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
To be fair, I do think each season had at least one or two standout episodes. None of them are flawless, but they do rise above the show's usual quality, which is more than I can say about some other Marvel shows.

My personal rule of thumb with this show was that almost every episode with a Goblin in it (besides the pretty bad Wedding episode) is usually solid. Mark Hamill's performance made Hobgoblin fun to watch and Green Goblin was genuinely pretty effective bad guy. I would actually even go as far as to say that Enter the Green Goblin is the best episode of the entire series.

The Black Suit three-parter from season 1 is easy to make fun of ("SHOOOOOOCKEEEEER!"), but it is without a doubt the best multi-part episode of the series and should have set the standard for the entire series, in a lot of ways.

The two-part X-Men crossover was also pretty great. Mostly because, in terms of tone and pacing, it feels more like a two-parter from X-Men TAS, which honesly is as good, if not better, as most people remember it being.

I also personally kinda dug this show's take on Secret Wars and kinda prefer its premise (the Battle World being ruled by the villains for a year and heroes trying to overthrow them, rather than the two sides being dropped there at the same time) over the original comic one and the Spider-Wars, i.e. the final two-parter, had a lot of inspired ideas, if they had just only been set up better.

Reactions: Webbed-Wonder

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC
I hope Trevor Devall is in the PPG 2016 reboot.