Lego Monkie Kid TV Show

Latest News & Videos

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
So, here's something I just recently discovered. There's a 2D Lego show called Lego Monkie Kid. It looks Jeremy Adams is the head writer given this tweet he put out . I've never heard of this, yet I'm hooked.

According to LEGO, Monkie Kid is a modern interpretation of the half-a-millennia-old Chinese fable where an ordinary boy finds the Monkey King’s legendary magical staff and becomes the chosen one to stop the Demon Bull King. The TV show and theme have been in development for more than two years, including close collaboration with children and parents in China to ensure the theme is authentic to local culture and honors Chinese tradition.
The show is animated by Flying Bark Productions, which also works on Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Glitch Techs. Phil Jacobson is a storyboard artist for all three.

Last edited:

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Canada
This is being animated by Flying Bark in Australia. They worked on the two Nickelodeon shows that have been referenced.

Doesn't WB usually have exclusive access to Lego stuff, aside from the odd Lego Marvel special?
The TV stuff has had no exclusivity (Ninjago on CN, Friends on Netflix, City/Jurassic World on Nick, various Disney mini-series, etc.) and theatrically, Universal is now in charge.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com

It seems like the intro was recently released in Japan. Also, it seems like Alan Denton (Sonic Boom, Sunny Day) might be writing for the series, but it's not confirmed yet . It does like Greg Hahn is involved. Also, Jeremy Adams said that there's still no home for the show yet.

Reactions: Frontier

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com

It seems like the intro was recently released in Japan. Also, it seems like Alan Denton (Sonic Boom, Sunny Day) might be writing for the series, but it's not confirmed yet . It does like Greg Hahn is involved. Also, Jeremy Adams said that there's still no home for the show yet.

Really? Because those are Chinese subtitles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
The first two episodes are now on YouTube in Mandarin Chinese with English subtitles :eek:

Man, I love the intro :D

The cartoon is called 悟空小侠 in Chinese. (pinyin: Wùkōng xiǎo xiá) You can hear it at the end of the intro.

EDIT:

I have watched the first double episode called "Monkey Kid: A Hero is Born". I think fans of "Rise of the TMNT" will love this. To me, the animation is a bit too quick. I sometimes had to rewind because I blinked and then Monkie Kid was suddenly standing in a completely different place :sweat:

Everything is very over-the-top. The city gets destroyed every once in a while but that's okay, everything gets restored immediately. The cartoon feels like you are playing Lego with your son. Bam bam bam attaaack pew pew pew. I wouldn't watch this if your wallet is easily emptied, if you get what I mean :sweat: Luckily I don't like Lego.

I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. I would have probably loved this if I were 10. The series is based on "Journey to the West" just like Dragon Ball and Shinzo. I think I could love this cartoon if the main characters will actually make a journey and if they meet new characters/world every episode. But if it's just Monkie Kid fighting those three antagonists again and again while Pigsy, Mei, Sandy and Tang are just cheering in the back, then I'm done. The reason I am afraid that will happen is because of the intro. The shot at 00:14 still needs some explaining. All other 29 seconds in the intro are explained in this premiere episode :(

So yeah, don't get your hopes up if you are expecting an Emperor Pilaf Saga: The Series. This cartoon puts action first, plot second. At least in the premiere episode.

The Chinese voice-actors are okay. Sandy has a much deeper voice in English, that's for sure.
They somehow reminded me of anime voice-actors. Chinese and Japanese sound so different in real-life, but in cartoons, they sound more similar to me. (very over-the-top and absurd, not just in shonen and shojo, also in seinen)

Anyways, I am not giving up on it yet. Let's wait and see what the next episodes are like :)
I have been binge-listening to the Chinese intro song, that's definitely the best part so far.

Hmmmmm, looks familiar...
1591790128213.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Here is the English intro. It premiered on June 13th on TV3 in Malaysia.
It looks like the Chinese singer also did the English song.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mostezli

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Would you believe I was first exposed to Angelica Hale through here?
Oh look at that. My cable provider wants me to pay even MORE money just so I can watch the new Owl House episode on DisneyNow. Are you kidding me?
The winner is "Let's Meet Sonic", which got 3 votes. "Monster Party" got 1 vote. The next matchup is animated crossovers with live action shows. This time it's between "Halloween Night At The Museum" (Ultimate Spiderman & Jessie) and ScoobyNatural (Supernatural & Scooby Doo).

If schedule listings are to be believed, it appears as though Toonami will be airing reruns of DBS' Universe Survival Saga starting tonight.
Can we talk about how a French home video company had an opening logo consisting of an animated Groucho Marx set to disco music? I especially like the Fender Rhodes solo during the second half, even if it's just the warning message.