"LEGO Marvel Spider-Man: Vexed by Venom" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Marvel announced a new LEGO animated special at the New York Comic-Con. LEGO Marvel Spider-Man: Vexed by Venom is slated to premiere in 2019.

Updated July 25th, 2019
Check out the newest LEGO Marvel animated shorts! LEGO Marvel Spider-Man: Vexed by Venom debuts today on the Marvel HQ YouTube channel!

Thanks to Green Goblin & Venom, tech theft is now at an all-time high -- can our Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man put an end to their mysterious villainous scheme before all of New York City is destroyed?

The special is comprised of five shorts that will start rolling out on the Marvel HQ YouTube page beginning today, Thursday, July 25th. All five shorts will debut as a compilation special on Disney XD and DisneyNOW on Saturday, August 3rd, at 11:00 AM ET/PT.

Voice cast includes: Robbie Daymond (Marvel’s Spider-Man) as Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Ben Pronsky (Aldnoah.Zero) as Venom, Josh Keaton (Voltron) as Green Goblin, Laura Bailey (Marvel’s Avengers Assemble) as Gwen Stacy/Ghost-Spider, and Tara Strong (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) as Mary Jane.

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Related Discussions
:
"LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Black Panther: Trouble in Wakanda" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)
"LEGO Marvel Super Heroes – Guardians of the Galaxy: The Thanos Threat" Talkback (Spoilers)
"LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Avengers Reassembled" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Finally! A Lego Spider-Man special! Laura Bailey and Tara Strong back as Gwen and MJ is a plus for me. Josh Keaton as Green Goblin will definitely be interesting.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Mary Jane? I wonder if the designs are based on the TV show. The Lego stuff is usually based on the movies but I remember the previous Spider-Man designs being based on Ultimate and none of the characters here have been a part of the MCU.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I'm going to assume the designs will eschew more towards the animated versions. Spidey will most like have his MarvelsSpiderMan design, as will Gwen and Venom. As for Green Goblin, he could most likely be based on his Ultimate Spiderman design since he hasn't appeared yet on MSM or the MCU, but Norman Osborn (if he appears and not just Gobby) will probably look more like his MSM incarnation . As for MJ, she'll either look more like her USM incarnation or her Marvel Rising incarnation.

As for writers, Mark Hoffmeier could write again like the last few Lego specials, though it'd be interesting to see someone else like Brandon Auman or Marsha Griffin or Zach Craley.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
In case you missed it, there is a promo image of this LEGO Spidey in the link I included in the opening post. I can't really tell if it's supposed to be the same design as in the current animated series (especially since I am not really familiar with all of the LEGO lines).

MJ is a pretty nice surprise. I presume at the very least Tara Strong would reprise the role when/if she appears on the animated series as well. The rest of the cast seems to be pretty consistent with the show (well, Goblin instead of Norman notwithstanding), so who knows.

I am looking forward to this, the LEGO cartoons are usually pretty entertaining.

Frontier

Staff member
Marvel announced a new LEGO animated special at the New York Comic-Con. LEGO Marvel Spider-Man: Vexed by Venom is slated to premiere in 2019.

Source: Marvel.com

Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates.
Wow, can't say I saw this coming :eek:.

But it's cool to be getting a Lego special dedicated solely to Spider-Man since the Avengers, Guardians, and Black Panther have already had their own :).

The voice cast is consistent with the curent cartoon, but with Josh Keaton finally debuting as the Green Goblin (instead of the Hobgoblin) and Laura Bailey playing Gwen as Ghost Spider. We even have Mary Jane in there as well :D!
Mary Jane? I wonder if the designs are based on the TV show. The Lego stuff is usually based on the movies but I remember the previous Spider-Man designs being based on Ultimate and none of the characters here have been a part of the MCU.
Yeah, Spidey's appearances in the Lego specials have all been based off the cartoon versions, with Drake Bell and Tom Kenny reprising their Ultimate Spider-Man roles in the Maximum Overload Special, to the Amadeus Cho Iron Spider appearing in the Avengers Reassembled special :).

Which does make me curious what they'll do with MJ and the Green Goblin considering neither have really appeared on the show yet. So will we get original designs or the debut of their Marvel's Spider-Man looks and personalities :confused:?
I
MJ is a pretty nice surprise. I presume at the very least Tara Strong would reprise the role when/if she appears on the animated series as well. The rest of the cast seems to be pretty consistent with the show (well, Goblin instead of Norman notwithstanding), so who knows.
I was wondering about that. The Black Panther Lego special had all the Avengers: Panther's Quest VA's making their debuts as those characters, and Tara has reprised MJ in Marvel Rising as well, so either she's still the official voice for Mary Jane or she's the spare Mary Jane voice they use until they actually cast her in Marvel's Spider-Man :ack:.
The belt and logo make me think it can just be traditional comic Spidey as well but we'll see next year.

They might just be using the same Spidey model they've used in past specials :sweat:.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm surprised Gwen Stacey as Ghost Spider is showing up and Miles isn't :p
I'm surprised Mary Jane's actually in it :p.

I guess Dove Cameron's Gwen is relegated to Marvel Rising, either that or they went with Laura for this because it's more clearly based off the cartoon continuity...

brodie999

After all this time, I thought Sony Pictures Television owned the rights to Spider-Man special rights. But now, Marvel is doing a LEGO special based on the 2017 Spider-Man show.

I'm looking forward to seeing future Spider-Man specials airing on Disney XD.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I wonder if this might be a sign Gwen will use the Ghost-Spider codename on Spidey's show as well, when she inevitably regains her powers.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
After all this time, I thought Sony Pictures Television owned the rights to Spider-Man special rights. But now, Marvel is doing a LEGO special based on the 2017 Spider-Man show.

I'm looking forward to seeing future Spider-Man specials airing on Disney XD.
I think Marvel can do what they want as long as it's under 50 min, or whatever time limit they put on shorts. We've seen Spider-Man in previous LEGO shorts/compiled specials.

Frontier

Staff member
The cast actually seems kind of small compared to past Lego specials, so I'm curious if there will be more characters then who they listed in the press release :cool:.
I wonder if this might be a sign Gwen will use the Ghost-Spider codename on Spidey's show as well, when she inevitably regains her powers.
I guess if they're really trying to promote "Ghost Spider" as Gwen's official Superhero codename, it would make sense for them to use it on the show :).

Although the better question would probably be why that version of Gwen would take up the codename to begin with :sweat:.
I think Marvel can do what they want as long as it's under 50 min, or whatever time limit they put on shorts. We've seen Spider-Man in previous LEGO shorts/compiled specials.

It would definitely explain why they could use Ghost Spider in the specials but not the actual Marvel Rising movie :ack:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Kind of a minor point, but the new Marvel Minute video mentions around the 0:55 minutes mark this will premiere early next year.

For comparison, the last LEGO Special (with Black Panther) was also announced in October (2017) but was released in May-June earlier this year.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It could probably premiere around late January-early February, which could tie in with season 2 returning (if it returns in that timeframe that is).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I brought that up a few comments above. I imagine they will follow a similar method of releasing a new short weekly, then the entire special for this, as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts