"LEGO Jurassic World: The Secret Exhibit" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
LEGO Jurassic World: The Secret Exhibit: Parts 1 & 2

I was almost going to say I was disappointed. But how could I be? I have no investment in LEGO Jurassic World, and I knew going in the special would probably suck. What alarms me is that it sucks as much as does. It does not need to be this bad. The Lego DC, Star Wars, and Marvel stuff all have their various charms, and sort of poke at their franchises in a fun way. But the Jurassic World canon only extends to five movies (so far). There is literally nothing in them to geek out to. Maybe the special thought I’d think it was cool Denny Neidermeyer was Dennis Nedry’s nephew, but there was really nobody else it could be.

For the record, this special got Nedry’s mission wrong. He wasn’t evil and looking to cause chaos. He was greedy and looking to get a payday. It’s a bit appalling his nephew is portraying him as an agent of evil when he simply wanted to get paid for selling everyone else out.

And the special didn’t really get what makes the Jurassic World franchise work. The Raptors in the special are all good and friendly to Owen. That’s not what the franchise has ever been. Every single dinosaur in Jurassic Park and World is actually morally neutral. Sometimes they’ll help the heroes, sometimes they’ll eat them. They aren’t domesticated pets that Owens knows how to treat right, and the domineering guy is getting wrong. In reality, Owen is flying by the seat of his pants with those creatures every time he interacts with them. They are not his pets, they are the creatures in his care who only sometimes do what he says.

Speaking of Owen that is a terrible soundalike to Chris Pratt. Lego specials in general have terrible soundalikes to famous people. By why couldn’t they do what the Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon did and hired a guy (Will Friedle) who while sounding nothing like Pratt, got the performance of Pratt down pat? I would not even objected if the special got Friedle himself. But with that voice Owen, is a macho man’s man adventurer which was never his deal while Pratt played him.

To be honest, all of these complaints are secondary to the fact that the special isn’t the least bit funny. Every single joke is obvious and telegraphed a million miles away. That often goes for some of the DC and Marvel projects too, but those always have other cool things in them to recommend. Because there is nothing else nerdy going on (not even Nedry) there is nothing to distract me from how much this outright sucks. *.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The teaser is good. The comments saying "Release The Snyder Cut" are not.
Is the concept of good scheduling just dead at this point, I'm looking at PlutoTv and most of the time they just got the same show on repeat.
As someone who just got into Usagi Yojimbo, I am so hyped for the cartoon.
Saw the Descendants short Audrey's Royal Return. I will not miss this franchise. That was a disaster.
I'd tell Pumpkin Spice to go back where he came from but I'm not sure he'd still fit in the bottom of an outhouse.