"Legion of Super-Heroes" Animated Feature News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Legion Of Super-Heroes is rated "PG-13" for some violence and language. This was posted before but then the info was removed, as I said on the previous page. Now that it's back on FilmRatings.com, a trailer might be released soon.
Yeah, I think if the trailer isn't paired with that cast and home release PR, it's usually within the next 6 days. So at the earliest, we'll have a trailer in a couple hours today, Wednesday, but should be out Friday or Monday at the latest, imo.

Frontier

Staff member

Frontier

Staff member
Alright, a lot of cool stuff here :)!

- Meg Donnely sounds fantastic as Kara! Also, the skirt and boots (which actually have heels)! Supergirl looks amazing :D!

- The designs look like they're drawing from a lot of different influences (and some of the Legionnaires are changed to reflect their actors). Some Legionnaires (specifically Bouncing Boy and I think Dawnstar) have their recent Ryan Sook redesigns while others have more traditional looks (Triplicate Girl, Saturn Girl, etc.). Weirdly Cosmic Boy looks white instead of Asian while Lightning Lad is black...and Princess Projectra is using her Sensor Girl design :cool:.

- I love that Arm Fall Off Boy seems to be a semi-prominent character in this :anime:.

- Looks like the main Legion is actually missing? I wonder if that'll be resolved in the movie :confused:.

- Now I think I understand why they didn't give Brainy hair, so he'd look like the more unconventional (and less attractive) love interest compared to Mon-El which means he's actually going to be the winner ;).

- Of course Batman is calling out Supergirl. Like the guy didn't just bungle his way through his own movie duology :rolleyes:.

- Shadow Lass seems like a senior Legionnaire which makes me wonder if they might tease anything between her and Mon-El o_O.

- Solomon Grundy shooting a frikkin' laser gun :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Idk why but I'm still stuck on 'there's nowhere to safely train her in the present so they do something extreme as sending her to a superhero team in the future?' It's comic book sci-fi stuff and I shouldn't be so hung up on it. Maybe it's because I'm still in a malaise this week.

I did love Arm Fall Off Boy's scene and implication they're taking him seriously in this canon.

I wonder if it's gonna be some rando twist that the Dark Circle has just lackeys and a Legionairre or C.O.M.P.U.T.O. went bad--nah, they wouldn't do that right after Green Lantern: Beware My Power...

Frontier

Staff member
Idk why but I'm still stuck on 'there's nowhere to safely train her in the present so they do something extreme as sending her to a superhero team in the future?' It's comic book sci-fi stuff and I shouldn't be so hung up on it. Maybe it's because I'm still in a malaise this week.
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you're doing better :oops:.

I kind of get the sense that Clark takes her to the Legion because this is how he grew to understand his powers and abilities before MoT, so basically helping Kara train the way he used to. That and there aren't a lot of teen heroes in the Tomorrow-verse yet so she'll have more people to hang out with :).
I wonder if it's gonna be some rando twist that the Dark Circle has just lackeys and a Legionairre or C.O.M.P.U.T.O. went bad--nah, they wouldn't do that right after Green Lantern: Beware My Power...
After Beware My Power I'm worried Mon-El is going to turn into a bad guy :(.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I kind of get the sense that Clark takes her to the Legion because this is how he grew to understand his powers and abilities before MoT, so basically helping Kara train the way he used to. That and there aren't a lot of teen heroes in the Tomorrow-verse yet so she'll have more people to hang out with :).
Most likely but idk feels off like he's handing her off and not really taking responsibility.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Brainy just doesn't feel right without the blonde locks, to me, but I guess it's not as though they made him orange or anything. I have always found it funny in past continuities like the DCAU where characters would recognize him as a Brainiac, even though he looks nothing like that universe's Brainiac. I love the Legion and from this quick glimpse at them in this teaser, I'm reminded of how weird and intriguing I found them when my aunt gave me a LOSH comic when I was 5. You can never really forget the first time you see Bouncing Boy, or find out he's married to Duo Damsel.

Meg Donnelly as Supergirl is pretty neat casting. My sister will like that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Looks pretty good so far. Supergirl's design is nice, I mentioned before it was reminiscent of her Superman Unbound look and with Brainiac involved there are some more parallels in there. Brainiac 5 looks fine. Also, lots of Legionnaires, similar to JL vs Fatal Five, so there should be plenty of cameos.

From what I can tell that's Supergirl next to Green Lantern on the DVD cover spine.

The Movies Anywhere page for the movie mentions a February 7, 2023 release date.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Looks pretty good so far. Supergirl's design is nice, I mentioned before it was reminiscent of her Superman Unbound look and with Brainiac involved there are some more parallels in there. Brainiac 5 looks fine. Also, lots of Legionnaires, similar to JL vs Fatal Five, so there should be plenty of cameos.

From what I can tell that's Supergirl next to Green Lantern on the DVD cover spine.

The Movies Anywhere page for the movie mentions a February 7, 2023 release date.
Very odd to have a trailer only on a social media account and not a hi res one on Youtube to accompany nor on the usual IGN feature then the usual Movies Anywhere page spoiling a release date. Feels like there should have been a PR statement, too, but I suppose it will drop in a few hours.

Frontier

Staff member

Kara with that smirk as she's between Mon-El and Brainy :p.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced Legion of Super-Heroes, the studio’s first 2023 entry in the DC Universe Movie line, will hit physical and digital media on February 7, 2023. The feature is directed by Jeff Wamester from a script written by Josie Campbell. Press details, artwork and the trailer can be found at WF.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced Legion of Super-Heroes, the studio’s first 2023 entry in the DC Universe Movie line, will hit physical and digital media on February 7, 2023. The feature is directed by Jeff Wamester from a script written by Josie Campbell. Press details, artwork and the trailer can be found at WF.
I like it when all the versions release on one day. Though, with Supergirl and Brainiac-5 factoring into this story, wonder why not February 14th but then perhaps they wanted to keep it and the Harley Quinn special on different days and the latter was more in line with the holiday.

Glad to see a lot of special features for this set. Seems like the roundtable featurettes are going to take the place of commentary tracks.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm thinking about how Man of Tomorrow felt like such a refreshing start and I couldn't wait to see how things would continue from there. Now I look at this trailer and it's hilarious to me how swiftly this universe has progressed outside of our notice. It reminds me of something like Thundercats Petaliers episode where decades were passing every second that Lion-O turned around.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm thinking about how Man of Tomorrow felt like such a refreshing start and I couldn't wait to see how things would continue from there. Now I look at this trailer and it's hilarious to me how swiftly this universe has progressed outside of our notice. It reminds me of something like Thundercats Petaliers episode where decades were passing every second that Lion-O turned around.

It kind of reminds me of how abrupt certain MCU films can feel because they jump around sometimes and have a lot happen off-screen, but it's less noticeable because they usually release more content year-by-year.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
12/11/22: Blu-ray back cover revealed.

1/7/23: Alan Chou posts textless version of cover art.

1/10/23: 1:12 clip released.

1/11/23: Stills of Alura and Kara, Supergirl, Solomon Grundy, and Supergirl and Superman posted.

1/12/23: 0:58 clip featuring Batman and Superman debating Supergirl's future.

1/12/23: Interview with Josie Campbell. She wrote the script in 2020, borrowed Jim Krieg's Legion of Super-Heroes trades for research, had seen Superman: Man of Tomorrow when she wrote it, the production team sent her links to other movies in continuity that were being worked on at the time, describes the story as teen/high school/college romp feel where people Supergirl's age are figuring things out with each other, the movie is through the lens of Supergirl, Kara had this plan for her life then her world was ripped away from her, Kara's agency mattered when she wrote it, and Kara is trying to prove she belongs on Earth.

1/18/23: 1:15 clip "I Don't Belong Anywhere" clip released.

1/23/23: 1:19 clip featuring Supergirl meeting Brainiac 5.

1/24/23: Interview with Jeff Wamester.

1/25/23: Interview with Josie Campbell. Supergirl is the refugee story, loved Triplicate Girl, requested Arm-Fall-Off-Boy, watched old Hepburn/Grant screwball comedies for Brainiac 5 and Supergirl's scenes, and spent a week delving into DC material to pick characters.

55 second clip featuring Brainiac 5 and Supergirl working together. IGN YouTube

1/26/23: 4 stills featuring Supergirl, Bouncing Boy, Invisible Kid, Arms Fall Off Boy, and Dawnstar released.

Interview with Yuri Lowenthal. Mon-El is the big man on campus but he's also a Superman Family fanboy.

2/1: 4 stills featuring Supergirl and Brainiac 5 released.

Interview with Butch Lukic.

4 stills featuring Brainiac 5 and Supergirl posted.

2/3/23: Interviews with Josie Campbell, here, here and here.

1:37 clip of Supergirl meeting the Legion cadets posted.

Interview with Yuri Lowenthal.

2/6: 0:29 clip "Flying Together" released.

2/7: Comments from Harry Shum Junior.

4 stills released.

24 second clip posted.

2/9: 27 minute interview with Zeno Robinson.

2/10: There will be a soundtrack release.

2/23: Soundtrack releases on March 3 through Gardner Recordings on all streaming services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts