Leaving cable TV behind (discussion for Sling TV, Playstation Vue, HBO Go, etc)

Latest News & Videos

Jun 10, 2016
Ratings
509 9
Well, you could say that some regions are behind for various reasons. It can be infrastructure with bad access to high speed internet or not having fast connections at all, it can be a question of habits and demographics, it can be lack of proper online streaming services and alternatives to begin with along with their lack of dubbed content - or the combination of all four. Each market is different, but it doesn't surprise me the US/CA/UK/AU are one of the first to abandon the linear TV model - they can share services and content with covering large markets since they all are at a similar level influencing each other and share the same language. @SuperFan2024
Interesting to hear. Thanks! Say, do you prefer watching your shows live with a time-slot, or on your own with the SVOD method?

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Ratings
2,386 94
Cartoon Headquarters
Interesting to hear. Thanks! Say, do you prefer watching your shows live with a time-slot, or on your own with the SVOD method?
Both, depends on content and time. Currently in the process of getting used to VOD and slowly migrating towards it, but there are moments and films/shows I prefer to watch on the big screen. Local VOD services in Czech Republic are fairly advanced for the region, I could elaborate if you'd like, but still a lot behind compared to the US/UK for it to become the norm - especially for the elderly for whom TV is the norm.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,035 5 1
the point of no return
Netflix to produce 80 original films in 2018:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/16486304/netflix-anime-original-films

"his past quarter we released eight original films,” Sarandos said. “We plan on about 80 coming up next year. And they range anywhere from the million dollar Sundance [Film Festival] hit all the way up to something on a much larger scale, like we’re seeing on Bright, which will be at the end of this year and Irishman, which is with Martin Scorsese, that should be in early 2019.”
Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,035 5 1
the point of no return

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Aug 26, 2001
Ratings
807 4
Not of your damn business
www.zimed.net
If you're looking for a cheaper streamnig service without sports options, previously college-only service Philo launched wide yesterday.

You can get 37 channels for $16/month or 46 channels for $20/month.

The service doesn't seem too bad honestly. You get full app and web access, plus you're able to stream from 3 devices at the same time for those listed prices as well as a 30-day DVR. Considering what the others like to do when you want to multi-stream or record stuff, this is quite the deal. Of course the limited channel lineup is a detriment depending on your needs. No sports is a given, but there isn't even a US-based news network on here. Also zero Turner networks is a bit disappointing. No clue if they plan on adding to their lineup at this time, but options are options.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Oct 29, 2016
Ratings
1,460 14
New Mexico
To be honest, as morbid as this might seem.
I really want the Disney Streaming service to crash and burn, same with a few other proposed services to be frank.

We're a reaching the point of market over saturation with streaming services and that can only be harmful towards the market and consumer. Currently with the core three being Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, with niche services scattered throughout like Crunchyroll, CuriosityStream, Shudder, ect, it's fine for the most part. Which all this is all well and good, but with all these other services there's a real risk of people being turned off all together, Netflix is the Walmart of streaming services, people trust it to give content they want even though it's not without it's faults people aren't going to turn away so easily, without a massive cultural shift. Disney shouldn't be trying to chase this trend, because it's ultimately only going to hurt in the long run either the consumer who are stuck wandering aimlessly between services or Disney themselves who are banking a lot on this.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
954 16
Springfield, MO
To be honest, as morbid as this might seem.
I really want the Disney Streaming service to crash and burn, same with a few other proposed services to be frank.

We're a reaching the point of market over saturation with streaming services and that can only be harmful towards the market and consumer. Currently with the core three being Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, with niche services scattered throughout like Crunchyroll, CuriosityStream, Shudder, ect, it's fine for the most part. Which all this is all well and good, but with all these other services there's a real risk of people being turned off all together, Netflix is the Walmart of streaming services, people trust it to give content they want even though it's not without it's faults people aren't going to turn away so easily, without a massive cultural shift. Disney shouldn't be trying to chase this trend, because it's ultimately only going to hurt in the long run either the consumer who are stuck wandering aimlessly between services or Disney themselves who are banking a lot on this.
I feel somewhat similar, because if Disney is to succeed, I fear it will mean the ruin of either Hulu or Netflix. And I don't want to see that presently.

CBS maybe started this with the launch of their own subscription channel "CBS All Access". Why couldn't they be content to launch new Star Trek material on Hulu or Netflix??

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,035 5 1
the point of no return
Well, in order to compete, pretty soon one of these have to come up with new invention to it. I know FilmStruck (the streaming service from Turner Classic Movies and Criterion Collection) has exclusive content much like a Criterion hardcopy disc would have. That's one of things I thought about recently. These other services are mostly offering bare minimum like the VHS days.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,349 36
Austin, Texas
Hulu has me the most worried right now, Disney has 60% ownership over Hulu thanks to the Fox acquisition and depending on how the AT&T Time Warner Merger goes, Hulu is going to fluctuate. I can't shake off the fear that Disney isn't simply going to override Hulu as a whole.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Duplicate post from the CBS topic, but it's also worth saying here:
PS Vue in my area finally has streams of local affiliates....ABC, NBC and FOX...but not CBS, because CBS still wants to pretend they're such an elite product that people will want to pay for their stream separately. I don't know who'd be dumb enough; their offerings are just too bland.

They also don't have The CW, but the reason isn't as clear. Maybe because CBS owns 50% of it?

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
954 16
Springfield, MO
Duplicate post from the CBS topic, but it's also worth saying here:
PS Vue in my area finally has streams of local affiliates....ABC, NBC and FOX...but not CBS, because CBS still wants to pretend they're such an elite product that people will want to pay for their stream separately. I don't know who'd be dumb enough; their offerings are just too bland.
Well, there's a reason "Supergirl" was moved from CBS to the CW: the target demographics just aren't the same. Going by my personal observations, I'd say people who watch CBS are just old fuddy duddies who want to watch "NCIS", "Blue Bloods" and "Hawaii Five-O" all day long, or they think "Big Bang Theory" and "2 Broke Girls" are the greatest comedies in the history of mankind.

They also don't have The CW, but the reason isn't as clear. Maybe because CBS owns 50% of it?
Exactly.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,035 5 1
the point of no return
Some clarification on Disney platform and Netflix deal:
https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...tflix-marvel-lucasfilm-pixar-streaming-rights
Disney’s deal with Netflix will end up covering films released in theaters from 2016 through 2018, and a Netflix spokesperson told Polygon in August that the company will retain streaming rights to the movies in question through 2019. In other words, Netflix subscribers in the U.S. will still be able to stream films such as Rogue One until at least the beginning of 2020.

Iger noted during the investor call that Netflix “will have rights to the films that were made in ’16, ’17, ’18 for quite a long period of time thereafter,” and said that Disney will also get a window to stream those movies itself during that time. The existing deal would cover recent theatrical releases such as Thor: Ragnarok and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, plus upcoming films like Black Panther and The Incredibles 2.

Everything from Disney that hits theaters in 2019 and beyond — whether from Disney itself, Lucasfilm, Marvel or Pixar — will appear on Disney’s own streaming service. Disney is targeting a launch in “late 2019,” and has not announced pricing, but Iger has suggested that it will be “substantially below” the $10.99 monthly cost of a Netflix subscription. (Scheduled 2019 movies from Disney include Captain Marvel and the untitled sequel to Avengers: Infinity War; Toy Story 4; Frozen 2; live-action adaptations of Aladdin, Dumbo, The Lion King and Mulan; and Star Wars: Episode IX.)

Iger previously announced that Marvel and Star Wars films will be available exclusively on Disney’s streaming service, along with multiple television projects that are currently in development: a live-action Star Wars series, a Marvel show, a series based on Pixar’s Monsters Inc. franchise and a High School Musical show.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,035 5 1
the point of no return
Disney Eyeing Reboots of ‘Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,’ ‘Father of the Bride’ and ‘The Parent Trap’:

http://www.slashfilm.com/honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-remake/
Buried in the recent news of Disney planning their Muppets reboot for their streaming service, three other projects are mentioned as being in development for the forthcoming subscription service…and they’re all reboots. Apparently, Disney is looking at potentially rebooting (the fancy word for remaking) Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Father of the Bride and The Parent Trap.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Disney Eyeing Reboots of ‘Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,’ ‘Father of the Bride’ and ‘The Parent Trap’:

http://www.slashfilm.com/honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-remake/

Why wouldn't you reboot Shrunk on the big screen instead? The other two are lower-tier, but Shrunk needs a big budget, or else we'll get Honey We Shrunk Ourselves 2.

Surprised I don't see Freaky Friday listed here. They're always rehashing that!