"Later", Carson Daly, and "SCTV"

Anthonynotes

OK, just to throw this tidbit out here, and to bring all of us up to speed:

Carson Daly: Popular host (among under-25-year-olds anyway, I presume) of MTV's "Total Request Live" video program.

"SCTV": A sketch comedy series (made in Canada I believe) that aired on NBC in the late 70's/early-to-mid 80's, and launched the careers of John Candy, Rick Moranis, and gave the world Ed Grimley (I know, Ed *who*? The guy with the unicorn-horn-like hairdo and plaid shirt/hitched up pants that Babs Bunny imitated in "Thirteensomething"). Took place at a pretend TV station that aired second-rate shows and was run by some hack owner. Somewhat amusing show (liked the "3D horror movie" bit :)

"Later": Once upon a time, NBC ran a show called "Later With Bob Costas", a talk show featuring the renowned sports commentator, at 1:30 AM (after "Conan O'Brian"). However, Bob left the show, and the show dragged out various rotating guest hosts, each one no more successful than the last. Finally, giving up, NBC put "Later" on hold and begain running repeats of "SCTV" in the timeslot (though under the "Later" banner/opening theme song and calling it "Later Presents: SCTV"), which still runs currently at 1:30 AM Monday-Thursday nights (Friday's devoted to some stand-up comedy show thing with Bobcat Goldthwait hosting). This was meant as a temporary thing until NBC figured out what they wanted to do with the timeslot...

However, it seems now they've figured out what to do: instead of letting "Later" die off (and turn over the airtime to local affiliates or keep airing filler like "SCTV"), they're bringing back "Later" in early 2002 with a new host: MTV's Carson Daly. While I know nothing about Mr. Daly, I suspect it won't be too entertaining and/or any more successful than SCTV reruns/post-Costas "Later" was (this website by Mr. Mark Evanier of "Garfield and Friends" fame notes that both the reruns and post-Costas "Later" are getting the same ratings: http://www.povonline.com/News082001.htm )

So my question is: *why* would NBC want to keep making a show that clearly isn't getting any more ratings than airing 20-year-old repeats are, especially since almost nobody (including the target teenaged/college-aged audience I assume Mr. Daly was recruited to bring in) are even awake (or tuned to something else)? The fact that ABC/CBS don't broadcast anything in the 1:30 AM timeslot (they air overnight news program feeds as filler, but those don't start until 2 or 3 in the morning IIRC) ought to tell NBC something (like, maybe moving up the repeat of "the Tonight Show" to the 1:30 timeslot from its current 2:05 AM timeslot or something).

And we thought KWB's programming habits were bizarre...

-B.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Mad Hatter

Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
I'd have to agree, it's an amazingly stupid move... mainly since everyone over 20 wants Carson Daly dead. Also, why in God's name does NBC need _three_ talk shows in a row--Leno, O'Brien and "Later"--never mind the last one comes on at 1:30? Throw Letterman into the mix, and you'd run of celebrities to interview.

Craig Marinaro

The Feast of 1,000 Beasts
Not a clue.

Although I'll add that I've enjoyed what little I've seen of SCTV, too. Airing it as "Later Presents SCTV" seems a remarkably silly idea.

Don't know much about who this Carson Daly is, aside from the fact that my sisters quaintly assess him as "hot." From what I've seen, most of the hair-dying dewy-eyed freaks they find attractive make Conan O'Brien look like Conan the Barbarian...

-C

Anthonynotes

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
I'd have to agree, it's an amazingly stupid move... mainly since everyone over 20 wants Carson Daly dead. Also, why in God's name does NBC need _three_ talk shows in a row--Leno, O'Brien and "Later"--never mind the last one comes on at 1:30? Throw Letterman into the mix, and you'd run of celebrities to interview.

No idea....though my question was more of why keep pursuing a program that clearly isn't able to succeed no matter *who*'s hosting/what's in its timeslot (SCTV reruns, the gazillion post-Costas replacement hosts)?! It strikes me as rather dumb...and reminiscient of the Dilbert strips where Dilbert notes the stupidity of pursuing a project that's doomed from the start...

-B.

Joe Tully

I want the toilet seat.
I've seen a few Costas eps, and they seem okay. The SCTV and post-Costas seem pretty bad to me though.

Also, in some areas, Craig Kilbourne is on opposite Later. Here, we get some show (maybe some news-type show?) after Letterman, then Kilbourne. I know this happens in some other places too. So that isn't really going to help Later. I agree, it makes no sense to continue pursuing it.

Nftnat

professor/historian/chronicler
I have fond memories of SCTV, mostly of the characters. I forget the name of the owner, but he was played by Joe Flaherty, & he was usually in a wheelchair but would occasionally rise to make a point er sum junk. I remember the McKenzie Bros., Edith Prickly, Mrs. Falbo's Tiny Town, Mr. Fuddle, the News with some other guy played by Flaherty & Earl Camembert (who I always felt sorry for), the Sammy Maudlin Show with Willie B. Williams, Bobby Bittman, Count Floyd's Monster Chiller Hororor Theater (in 3-D), & on & on & on. I might just tune in late nights to relive those memories while I can. Hey, why don't they just grab some old KWB Silver Age show & plug the timeslot with that? Some affiliate somewhere (preferably here) could do that, couldn't they? But that would take initiative & a brain.

Anthonynotes

Originally posted by Nftnat
I have fond memories of SCTV, mostly of the characters. I forget the name of the owner, but he was played by Joe Flaherty, & he was usually in a wheelchair but would occasionally rise to make a point er sum junk. I remember the McKenzie Bros., Edith Prickly, Mrs. Falbo's Tiny Town, Mr. Fuddle, the News with some other guy played by Flaherty & Earl Camembert (who I always felt sorry for), the Sammy Maudlin Show with Willie B. Williams, Bobby Bittman, Count Floyd's Monster Chiller Hororor Theater (in 3-D), & on & on & on. I might just tune in late nights to relive those memories while I can. Hey, why don't they just grab some old KWB Silver Age show & plug the timeslot with that? Some affiliate somewhere (preferably here) could do that, couldn't they? But that would take initiative & a brain.

The owner's name was Guy Caballero (pronounced "Cah-bah-yeh-ro")...

Anyone else remember the late 80's "Ed Grimley" cartoon that NBC ran for awhile?

As for "grabbing some 'Silver Age' KWB program", between the late hour = "adult appeal" to most station owners (given some of Conan's jokes, I doubt the jump to a cartoon like "Animaniacs" would be most stations' ideal fit for that timeslot), the likely notion that such cartoons belong primarily on Saturday mornings in the local affiliate owners' mindsets (and NBC bailed on Sat.morning cartoons years ago), and the fact that syndication of such shows seems decreasing rapidly with all the network consolidation/exclusive agreements/the rise of UPN/WB eating up formerly independent TV stations' airtime (and more and more syndicated shows on the airwaves), the notion of seeing P&tB on a local affiliate after "Conan" seems unlikely....they'd probably rather run infomercials (which'd be more profitable)...

-B.
Playing Devil's Advocate...

Calhoun07

It's Me
Man, I got lazy at setting the timer on my VCR to tape SCTV after Conan. Looks like I will have to start again. I'm not saving them on tape, but I love watching the show, even if its on when I am in bed, I can tape it and watch it...later. heh.

But to replace it with Carson Daly? SCTV should stay on! I know it's just a re run and filler to NBC, but it's paid for, and if it's getting respectable ratings, then why take it off?

I had suspected this would happen eventually, where Carson Daly would get his own talk show. In the future, could we see him replace Leno on the Tonight Show???? A Carson on the Tonight Show again...the mind boggles.

Narfpinky

~splash~
Staff member
Originally posted by calhoun07
But to replace it with Carson Daly? SCTV should stay on! I know it's just a re run and filler to NBC, but it's paid for, and if it's getting respectable ratings, then why take it off?
It's the best thing on at that time. :)
I've been recording every ep since I found out SCTV was on following Conan way back in February. I get more laughs from watching one ep than what all other current late night shows have to offer in a week. Wonder what programming execs would think of that?

Also originally posted by calhoun07
I had suspected this would happen eventually, where Carson Daly would get his own talk show. In the future, could we see him replace Leno on the Tonight Show???? A Carson on the Tonight Show again...the mind boggles.
I'm easily boggled, NARF!

Calhoun07

It's Me
You know, SCTV is my favorite sketch comedy show of all time. I like it more than SNL or Mad TV. And that's saying quite a bit, cuz I love alot from those other two! I've yet to buy any of the SNL DVDs, but I sure would put down good money for SCTV on DVD.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts