Last-Minute Schedule Changes And Getting Rid of "Low-Rated" Shows When Kids Are Off

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
Naturally, when something like spring break, the holidays, or, in this case, the coronavirus pandemic occurs and kids get to stay at home, kids' cable networks tend to get rid of shows they normally schedule during school hours, because (I believe) the networks feel that NOBODY watches those shows anyway, and that they never get the ratings that the networks expect.

Nicktoons:
Power Rangers (removed from weekdays; up until now, Nicktoons' usual weekday timeslot for these shows was 9am/9:30am, or even both; also, Nick/Nicktoons' contract to air those shows runs out next year anyway, barring a renewal)
Rise of the TMNT (removed from Mondays; previously removed from weekday afternoons; I've already talked about how THAT show has been treated over in the "Is Nick/Viacom Done with TMNT?" thread, and, because of that, it's unlikely that the show will ever see a season 3)
LEGO shows (now only on Wed. and Saturdays)

In their places, they put It's Pony on weekdays (even though it doesn't have enough episodes for that), brought back MORE live-action (Paradise Run, Crashletes, and Dude Perfect), Breadwinners, Sanjay and Craig, and Jimmy Neutron

Disney XD:
Marvel's Spider-Man (removed from weekdays, replaced with DuckTales; not only that, but the Marvel block which used to air Sunday mornings (as Marvel Universe), and which constantly rotates the network's Marvel shows, has been moved to 9:30p-12m in the last couple of years, when kids are likely getting ready for bed, or are already asleep)

Whenever any more changes like these occur, you can discuss it here.

In other cases, networks change schedules at the last minute (Boomerang, aka the Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry Channel, recently bumped Ben 10 and Power Players up to 8am and 8:30am, respectively, and put back in another half hour of New Looney Tunes and added MORE Tom and Jerry). CN and Nicktoons have also been guilty of this, not even informing TV guides of these changes because, apparently, the people in charge of scheduling for these networks love trolling their viewers. So, if you've noticed any recent last-minute schedule changes, discuss it here, also.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Disney Channel pulled Amphibia from the weekday lineup and replaced it with more Bunk’d. Amphibia still airs on Disney Channel on weekends and every day on Disney XD.
This is understandable. It only has 20 episodes.

I don't understand why Power Rangers is still a thing. I have never met a person of my age or younger who likes it.

RDG

Should've also pointed out that Nick also makes last-minute changes near the end of every week

RDG

On CN, Sunday 7:30a -8a's Mao Mao has been replaced by ThunderCats Roar and TTG

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
With the shortening of the Disney Junior block on Disney Channel, any shows airing after 12:00pm are affected. This includes Muppet Babies and Elena Of Avalor. The former's timeslots are, for the moment, strictly on the Disney Junior channel. For the latter, the new episode airing April 3 at 1:30pm will instead air on the Disney Junior channel instead of Disney Junior block.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Red Arrow has it right. I am not a firm believer in a show's worthiness being judged by its relevance, but the show hasn't been a relevant force in children's television for two decades. Maybe even longer than that.

RDG

Should've pointed out that, in addition to Craig of the Creek being replaced by Total DramaRama weekdays at 10a (as already mentioned in the CN thread), Apple & Onion already took Gumball's 7p weeknight slot, and vice versa at 7:30p

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
That's like saying the franchise has been unpopular for over 20 years. It's always been popular with kids since day 1, hence my point on that people like you and him really like to underestimate the show's fanbase along with the fact that more people watch it on streaming than on TV nowadays and honestly, your comment pretty much derailed the entire point of the thread as this isn't about how popular the show is but how channels make schedule changes and put shows like this on hiatus when kids are off.
First of all, I never said the show was unpopular. It sells toys so somebody must be watching it. If it didn't make a profit, it wouldn't still be on the air. But I was alive during 1994. The show was an outright phenomenon in the way SpongeBob is and continues to be. SpongeBob broke out and stayed broken out. Power Rangers simply does not have the clout it used to, and burned out the way most fads have. It is not the institution you are making it out to be.

Once the original cast left, the show lost most of its appeal for a lot of the general audience. I was a teenager at the time, and I was like "There is no reason to watch this show anymore" once Jason, Kimberly and Tommy all left. The fact that the show changes casts every season makes it disposable and impossible to form a real connection with the audience. There is no reason getting attached to any of the characters because they won't be there in two years. I believe characters are the number 1 thing that makes good fiction good, so I feel like Power Rangers is simply operating under a handicap most other shows don't give themselves.

Second of all, you and Red Arrow were having a somewhat lengthy conversation about this topic already, and I add three sentences, and I'm supposedly derailing the thread. That's an interesting (read cynical) argument to make to try and get me to shut up my contrary opinion, but it doesn't make it true. My post was no more off-topic than yours was.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Just so you know, there are fans who got tired of the "same cast every season" stuff and were fine with the "different cast every season" stuff plus I'd like to point out that PR's source material Super Sentai has had a different cast every season since day 1 but I'm moving on from this.

RDG

Since production on Beast Morphers ended long ago, and production on the next season has obviously been delayed, I expect Nick to finally end their deal with Hasbro for good next year (since that contract expires then, anyway).

Anyway, last Saturday, over on TeenNick, a planned marathon of Victorious was replaced with that of Henry Danger, but there WAS a week-long "binge-a-thon" of Victorious.

On CN, We Bare Bears returned for reruns weeknights 7:30p

Last edited:

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts