"Krypton" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
There's more to the legend... Tonight at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Syfy.

Set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet, Krypton follows Superman’s grandfather — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

Tonight's episode...

"Light-Years from Home" - Season 2 Premiere
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 @ 8 p.m. ET/PT on Syfy
Seg-El is stranded far from home, where his grandfather leads a rebellion against General Zod.

Related Links
News Thread
Season 1 Talkback

Syfy.com/Krypton
'Like' on Krypton Facebook
'Follow' on Krypton Twitte

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Sorry for the late review, Yojimbo. I knew this meant you couldn't double-post yours but I was a little behind my TV watching.

Krypton "Light-Years From Home"

That recap was super in-depth but I probably would have been completely lost without it.

Do you know how and why Zod took over Krypton so easily? Because the entire planet is basically filled with almost nothing but terrible people. There are a couple of good guys like Nyssa and Seg and his grandfather, but even supposed GOOD guys like Jax-Ur are destined to go rotten. Basically Krypton is a planet of aholes and all Zod had to do was declare himself the biggest one and everyone else falls in line. It amazes me what a pit Krypton is. Superman is literally the only good thing to ever come out of it. The universe was probably better off when it was destroyed. Basically, if Lobo used his s-head detector on Krypton, it would explode because the alarm would sound on almost everyone. Even that sweet nursemaid wound up a traitor. I am rooting for Adam and Seg because it means Krypton can finally be put out of its misery. The bad news is that there is more than a hundred years of this garbage coming, even if they win. It's a very hard show to see the upside of. It's basically everything dire Gotham promised but failed to be. This is a bummer series done right. Mostly because saving Superman IS the light at the end of the tunnel.

Speaking of Lobo's s-head detector, that was a quite excellent joke. A little too soon to judge Lobo yet, but I imagine it would be weird to hear him making modern pop-culture jokes a hundred years in the past. Which is kind of why I'm resisting the idea of him on this show, and endlessly curious at the same time.

For the record, betting Seg lost that fight and Brainiac infected him. There is no other possible outcome since we didn't actually witness the supposed victory, and Brainiac wouldn't go down that easily anyways. My favorite thing about his and Seg's odd-couple act was that Brainiac had a truly sensible suggestion. He fully admits that he intends to betray Seg if they team up (which is admirable) and correctly points out Seg intends to do the same if given the chance. Why not pool resources until then? Logical. Reasonable. Smart. And Seg's all, "Naaah." Let's cut to the chase. Let's not waste everybody's time on something that is an inevitability. Let's not pretend things could possibly end any other way, and let's get it over with it. The fact that Brianiac probably won does not change my opinion that Seg doing that is totally endearing. He basically rubbed other inferior shows' hero / villain team-up's faces in it. Because when it comes down to it, Seg learned his lesson. He is not going to make the mistake he made with Zod twice. Which admittedly will probably lead to a far bigger mistake for them all later on but that's a next week problem.

Couldn't tell if Seg was gonna hug Adam or punch him when he first saw him. Which was probably by design.

This show continues to impress me. The second season is off on the right foot. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

"Ghost In The Fire"
Wednesday, June 19, 2019 @ 8 p.m. ET/PT on Syfy
Adam Strange and Seg evade a bounty hunter, while General Zod uses Nyssa to further his cause.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Krypton "Ghost In The Fire"

Wow, I didn't know this show was funny. When did that happen?

I love that Lobo calls Seg Seagull.

Cue the Kryptonian Jeff Foxworthy: "If you start talking in decimal points, you just might be infected by Brainiac."

Feeling for Nyssa. There are no good options for her.

I am a bit surprised how attentive and sensitive Drew is to Lyta's needs. Granted, since Zod is total monster he can't do it without using a kidnapped baby, but just the fact that he made the effort is interesting.

Speaking of which, Lyta is one damaged individual.

Jayna was crazy the whole time? That worries me. A lot.

On-board the idea of a Lobo spin-off now. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I love that Lobo calls Seg Seagull.
And Craptown for Krypton. lol. I also really liked how subtle they kept it with Adam knowing who Lobo was.

Speaking of which, Lyta is one damaged individual.
To put it midly. ;) Coming off of last season, I don't want to hate her but so far...

Jayna was crazy the whole time? That worries me. A lot.
I guess being a Sagitari winds you up real tight until you explode and have a mental breakdown. Or it's just a trait with the Zods.

hobbyfan

The first episode was anti-climatic----until Lobo showed up. Now we know why they green-lit a spin-off before the opener. Classic Lobo, which the fans will eat up. I wonder if Lobo traveled through time, as Adam & Zod did, or if he existed this far back. Hmmmm.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

"Will To Power"
Wednesday, June 26, 2019 @ 8 p.m. ET/PT on Syfy
The Rebels gain advantage against General Zod; Seg goes head-to-head with Brainiac.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Krypton "Will To Power"

It strikes me that this is probably the best version of Brainiac I've seen, live-action or animated.

As for Lobo, he's a very... CREATIVE problem-solver. I'll give him that.

I don't have a ton to say about this week but I liked it. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I will give the show props for a demented use of Lobo's regenerative ability. Adam's reaction says it all. heh. heh.

Felt great to watch as Seg overcame Brainiac. A fitting end if this is the last we'll see of him. Dies where he was born.

I wonder if that's it for Lobo and it's these episodes that convinced the powers that be to make a spin off.

Kind of like with Lyta, I'm conflicted with what they're doing with Nyssa. That was pretty low of her to use her old flame like that but she's got little choice with her child in Zod's possession.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

"Danger Close"
Wednesday, July 3, 2019 @ 8 p.m. ET/PT on Syfy
Seg and Adam return to a very different Kandor; Val and his Rebels prepare a major offensive.

hobbyfan

Man, that was crazy wack. Seg still has some Brainiac left in him, which enabled him to overcome Zod's brainwashing.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Krypton “Danger Close”

At first I was like "Seg is playing a VERY dangerous game in the Lion's Den." Then I see he still has some Brainiac in him. He'll be fine.

Missed Cam. He was so funny with Adam. Glad the weapon didn't work.

Speaking of which, THAT sort of stuff is the precise reason I never trusted Jax-Ur.

It turns out Lyta's sins are 100% not her fault. I'm not sure how I feel about that, or if it makes the series better or worse. I suppose we'll see in the near-future.

That was a pretty dark ending and episode. ***1/2.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

"In Zod We Trust"
Wednesday, July 17, 2019 @ 8 p.m. ET/PT on Syfy
In the wake of tragedy, Seg helps Nyssa rescue their son; alliances on Wegthor fracture.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Krypton "A Better Yesterday"

Well, that was a pretty horrible end for Lyta.

Say what you will about Jax-Ur, but her horrible plans are pretty effective.

And Lyta hasn't actually given birth to Zod yet? Why is Zod willing to risk her life for any reason? Without her, he'll never be born. Unless they are doing something different with the Krypton breeding program. But if that was the case, than they just wouldn't mix Seg and Lyta's DNA at all.

I regret that I don't remember if Lyta was pregnant last season or not. If it came up this year, it was pretty veiled.

And now Nyssa is hated by everyone. Seg would probably still forgive her. But he's her only friend left.

I love that Brainiac is now Scorpius/Harvey from Farscape. The look on Jayna's face at the bloodbath Seg was responsible for will leave a grin on my face that lasts a couple of hours. That was pretty awesome.

Great and funny stuff with Cam and Adam this week.

I think things are going south for Zod now. I'm questioning why he even still exists if his mother was killed before he was born. ****1/2.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

I think things are going south for Zod now. I'm questioning why he even still exists if his mother was killed before he was born. ****1/2.
Artificial womb? We are discussing a society with technology that allows for children to be produced without the need for pregnancy.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts