"Klaus" News and Discussion thread (Spoilers)

TargetmasterJoe

This 2D animated movie from Sergios Pablos, creator of Despicable Me and Smallfoot, has been in development for quite some time. Like, as far back as 2015!

But now Netflix is helping to bring it to fruition, first in theaters and then onto the service shortly after!

And now we have an official trailer!

TargetmasterJoe

And now we got a poster!

EGShWdRWkAIAeqk

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
This looks awesome :D
The 2D Animation looks great plus it has JK Simmons as the voice of Santa

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Loved everything about that trailer except for the song choice. Panic! at the Disco doesn't really go with the setting or time period.

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Finished it on Sunday. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. I almost feel guilty for not absolutely adoring it since everyone seems to be treating it as if it's the best thing that's ever come to Netflix.

At first, I couldn't pinpoint exactly why I didn't love it, but after contemplating it for a while, I think it had to be the antagonists. As characters, they were really fun, but their "evil scheme" wasn't all that threatening once it came to fruition.
All they wanted to do was destroy the toys so that the town would remain miserable and they could continue their centuries-long fight. Kind of a lame goal, in my opinion. I do appreciate that the film didn't try and reform them at the end, though. That would have made it worse.

I also thought the plot was ridden with tropes. This isn't always a bad thing (hey, this is why Hallmark Movies are so beloved), but for something that took this long to produce, I expected a little more creativity.
Really, many things were predictable, like Jesper and Alva falling in love, having it be revealed that Klaus lost his wife, Jesper being revealed as a liar in a climactic scene, then everyone forgiving him soon after, etc. Even some of the characters felt like cookie-cutter models. Jesper was basically a glorified Kuzco, and the Krum and Ellingboe families mirrored the Montagues and Capulets or the Hatfields and the McCoys. Once again, formulaic plots aren't necessarily bad, and they do appear quite often in holiday movies, but I felt like the story was too cliche in certain ways.

Additionally, I wish I could have understood what the Sami people were saying. I was told there would be subtitles in English, but they never showed up on Netflix.

A final negative thought, the ending was completely contrived. So Klaus just walks into the magic wind and disappears forever to be with his wife? I get that it was supposed to be symbolic, but instead, it was completely random.

Alight, that's enough bad. Let's get to the good.

The animation was STUNNING. I absolutely loved every second of it. Not only was it unique, but it actually looked good, which was what mattered. I feel like sometimes when animators go for a fresh new style, it can end up appearing ugly and jarring, but not here. I thought the lighting was especially well done.

The movie's setting was also well-plotted. Sure, it was gloomy and depressing, but it was gloomy and depressing in a creative way. I liked the building designs in particular. Jesper's house/post office was fun.

My favorite character was probably Klaus. There definitely was some emotional depth to him. J.K. Simmons was a good choice. Really, every character was well-casted. No voice stuck out like a sore thumb.

Would I watch Klaus again one day? Probably, but I wouldn't go running back into it with open arms. I think I set my expectations too high for this film (which I often do) and I suppose that's ultimately what caused me to have the certain gripes I listed above. I still believe it's a solid movie overall and I would recommend it to any animation fan.

7.5/10.

TsWade2

I've just borrowed my mom's Netflix account to see Klaus. I watched it last night and I love it! I am so glad it's in 2D animation, even if it's in a 3d look. And it looked almost like Disney's Paperman short. The story of the origin of Santa Claus was phenomenal. The animation reminds me of a Hercules, The Emporer's New Groove, or Treasure Planet vibe type of it. I love the part where one of those deluded leaders of the feud showed the kid "The Great Mooning of 86." You know what I mean of mooning. Yikes! Jesper is funny postman. He almost reminded me of Kuzco. I like his "Thank you, Dad" so many times. It also has a good moral to it about goodwill. I hope it gets an Oscar nomination and win for Best Animated Feature. Frozen and Toy Story already had their own awards. I just wish Disney should see this and realize how wrong they were about 2d animation, even though it was in theaters for limited time before they head to Netflix. But, since Jennifer Lee says she's open for a return of hand drawn animation, maybe there's a chance. In the meantime, I enjoy that holiday movie. I'm not getting a Netflix account, but I'm so glad I got to see that movie and enjoyed it. Let the 2d animation revival begin! :D

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

Just watched it, and I loved it. The only negative thing I saw was how predictable the scene where Klaus and the others discovering Jesper's motives, but even that had a bit of a covering with Jesper and Klaus's earlier conversation of "Everyone doing something to get something" which left it open of Klaus possibly knowing that Jesper had a motive for why he was doing what he was doing.
There were scenes where I had to hold back tears, even near the beginning of the film because this had so much heart in it. Most of the characters were fun and enjoyable. Jesper has a Kuzco-vibe to him, I think he represents the elves that work for Santa, Mogens the ferryman was funny in almost every scene he was in, I like how Alva regained her will to teach as the film progressed, I also like how Klaus started with a green suit before wearing red as that was what Santa wore before the red suit came. I loved how Klaus was big and intimidating and yet, a very nice guy(I loved how he got the reindeer to pull the sleigh), I also like how the antagonist were defeated with the truce causing the leaders' children to fall in love in an ironic twist and thus forcing them to keep the truce.
The way Klaus left the world was beautifully done and I liked how is was implied he did become a magical being that delivers toys all around the world in the end.
This is definitely one of the best films of the year.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Klaus has been viewed in 30 million households worldwide.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
This was the best animated film I've seen this year. The plot was original, it had beautiful artwork, and it was a fresh take on the Santa mythos. They even had the guts to
have Santa "die" at the end, sort of
, which I was not expecting, but in retrospect it made sense given the scenes that came before it and I wouldn't have it any other way. The highlight? Margu, that Saami girl who is adorable in every scene she's in.

ShadowBeast said:
The only negative thing I saw was how predictable the scene where Klaus and the others discovering Jesper's motives, but even that had a bit of a covering with Jesper and Klaus's earlier conversation of "Everyone doing something to get something" which left it open of Klaus possibly knowing that Jesper had a motive for why he was doing what he was doing.
I would agree with that, but I've seen it executed a lot worse. Plus by that point the movie had generated enough goodwill in me that it didn't drag things down too much.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
A couple days late, but certainly worth mentioning. Klaus swept the Annies, winning the awards for all 7 categories it was nominated in, including Best Animated Feature. Very noteworthy since it doesn't even have the most nominations.

Last edited:

TsWade2

A couple days late, but certainly worth mentioning. Klaus swept the Annies, winning the awards for all 7 categories it was nominated in, including Best Animated Feature. Very noteworthy since it doesn't even have the most nominations.
Goodie! :D Now let's hope it gets the Oscar.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts