King of the Hill revival in the works

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
King of the Hill is another animated sitcom other than The Flintstones to age up the characters for a spin-off.

You know The Pebbles and Bam Bam show and specials afterward really only aged up Pebbles and Bam Bam. Fred, Barney, Wilma, Betty etc do not look or act older in any way whatsoever so it's hardto really say they were aged up in that regard.

that another option like how luanne gets a boyfriend and decide to moved out of Texas

They aren't going to do that. Like him or not, they built up the Lucky and Luanne relationship in the last few seasons of the show quite a lot to the point of the two not only getting married but having a daughter that yeah they are going to keep them together though yeah like PF9 said I really don't see them appearing at all due to their VAs having passed away. Some characters you would have to get new VAs for (like Bobby and probably even Joesph) but yeah they aren't going to recast characters because of their VAs retiring when they were so beloved in the role. Especially in a situation where they can be written off.

I admit the idea of setting this 15 years later with the characters is at least interesting though King of the Hill certainly isn't a show that feels like it needed an additional run. I mean Clone High I get bringing back but KOTH lasted 12 seasons and even then some people felt that was too long. Though I get why it was chosen because yeah it still does really solid rerun numbers and in this day and age everything that was popular once gets talks of a revival. Especially an animated one where you could bring back a fair amount of the cast and keep things the same though in this case again kudos for wanting to do something different.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
I admit the idea of setting this 15 years later with the characters is at least interesting though King of the Hill certainly isn't a show that feels like it needed an additional run. I mean Clone High I get bringing back but KOTH lasted 12 seasons and even then some people felt that was too long. Though I get why it was chosen because yeah it still does really solid rerun numbers and in this day and age everything that was popular once gets talks of a revival. Especially an animated one where you could bring back a fair amount of the cast and keep things the same though in this case again kudos for wanting to do something different.

I was surprised to hear the original KOTH lasted until 2009 (yes, I know 4 leftover episodes premiered in syndication in 2010, not really counting that).

I "checked out" (stopped paying attention to the show) before 2004, and maybe it shouldn't have lasted past 2004, but I guess Fall 2008/Spring 2009 was the last season on Fox. Still, part of the attraction to "King of the Hill" is that it didn't linger on into the 2010's, like Family Guy and the Simpsons (unless you count it "lingering around" in reruns on Adult Swim).

Without talking politics, some would argue it's a product of an era tied to the Bush Administration, but my memories are of it more being tied to the Clinton Administration (like "Beavis and Butthead", which is even more strongly tied to the 90's).

I mean, it has potential, but I think it'd be best as a stand alone animated movie, not as a new ongoing series. But don't bring it back just because of politics of the last 5 (or so) years. This series was never meant to be a "All in the Family" type commentary track on society. Don't turn Hank Hill into 2018 Roseanne Barr, that was never the point of the character.

EDIT: I'm trying to think how much time truly passed over the course of the last KOTH series. Bobby never could truly hit puberty, but there were a few milestones (birthdays) referenced, and so maybe only 2 to 3 years passed over the course of the series. I question bringing back a show where the characters didn't hardly age for 12 years, and bringing them back to find they've suddenly aged, and it's now 15 years later.

creator

I was surprised to hear the original KOTH lasted until 2009 (yes, I know 4 leftover episodes premiered in syndication in 2010, not really counting that).

I "checked out" (stopped paying attention to the show) before 2004, and maybe it shouldn't have lasted past 2004, but I guess Fall 2008/Spring 2009 was the last season on Fox. Still, part of the attraction to "King of the Hill" is that it didn't linger on into the 2010's, like Family Guy and the Simpsons (unless you count it "lingering around" in reruns on Adult Swim).

Without talking politics, some would argue it's a product of an era tied to the Bush Administration, but my memories are of it more being tied to the Clinton Administration (like "Beavis and Butthead", which is even more strongly tied to the 90's).

I mean, it has potential, but I think it'd be best as a stand alone animated movie, not as a new ongoing series. But don't bring it back just because of politics of the last 5 (or so) years. This series was never meant to be a "All in the Family" type commentary track on society. Don't turn Hank Hill into 2018 Roseanne Barr, that was never the point of the character.

EDIT: I'm trying to think how much time truly passed over the course of the last KOTH series. Bobby never could truly hit puberty, but there were a few milestones (birthdays) referenced, and so maybe only 2 to 3 years passed over the course of the series. I question bringing back a show where the characters didn't hardly age for 12 years, and bringing them back to find they've suddenly aged, and it's now 15 years later.
I've always viewed King of the Hill as a social commentary on 90's American suburban life rather than political commentary. It feels like people recently politicized the show due to the growing political divide, but I wonder if those people watched more than a handful of episodes or grew up in 90's suburbia.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
Off the top of my head, the only political references in the original series were a few random Reagan shout outs ("I miss voting for that man.") and the episode centered on the 2000 election ("His handshake! It was LIMP!"). It really wasn't a political show and I would hate to see that change.

Low Spark of Lyman

Resident Garfield Expert
Meh, not sure if this would be worthwhile, particularly depending on how it gets executed. Like others have said, focusing on politics doesn't seem like the best idea, especially with the recent atmosphere.

On the subject of voice actors, I imagine certain characters of color getting new voices, in much the same way The Simpsons and Family Guy have recently done.

Brittany Murphy's death happened months before the final four episodes aired (May 2010), so I suppose writing off Luanne and Lucky would have already in the cards then. Perhaps Lucky could have made a cameo or two (just to say how things are doing, I guess) if Tom Petty were still alive, but I digress.

Just to note, the show started on January 12, 1997, shortly before Clinton's second inauguration. So the show aired for about one and a half presidential tenures (while it did run into the first quarter of Obama's, I don't suppose the writers thought about him when writing the last batch of episodes since, well, they were the last batch of episodes).

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Just to note, the show started on January 12, 1997, shortly before Clinton's second inauguration. So the show aired for about one and a half presidential tenures (while it did run into the first quarter of Obama's, I don't suppose the writers thought about him when writing the last batch of episodes since, well, they were the last batch of episodes).

Yes, I remember watching all of the first season on Fox that year. As was mentioned above, it was very much a metaphor for 90's suburban life. This was post-"collapse of the Soviet Union" and pre-"Clinton/Lewinsky scandal", a special time period when everyone thought that we had achieved world peace.

"American Dad" was a metaphor for "War on Terror" life in America in it's first season in 2005, but it transcended that, and I think "King of the Hill" transcended it's first season mentality as well.

DBTrilogy100

I'm quite surprised to hear the possibility of King of the Hill making a comeback and my thoughts about it ultimately depend on the execution of it.

With regards to Fox's "adult" animated shows, I would consider King of the Hill to be my favorite of the lot. It stood out to me compared to its contemporaries for being more grounded in reality and I do appreciate that it was pretty light on the politics throughout its entire run (compared to say Family Guy, where the later seasons had a tendency to have episodes where politics were brought up in a big way). Like any other work of fiction, it wasn't perfect and there are certain episodes I don't intend to watch again (I was never a fan of the episodes where Hank gets turned into a scapegoat and/or social pariah while his family and/or friends turn against him) but I still feel that the show had plenty of enjoyable episodes and was still, for the most part, extremely tame when compared to its contemporaries (such as Family Guy, where the later seasons had a tendency to exaggerate the characters' worst qualities) which is why I wouldn't consider King of the Hill to be, overall, "mean spirited" or "toxic" (although I will also acknowledge that I feel "toxic" is one of those words that has devolved into a buzz word that has lost its intended meaning).

As for the revival, itself, I have different thoughts on what little we have heard about it so far. On one hand, I can understand concerns about it going the way of a "franchise zombie". On the other hand, having this revival set years after the initial run does provide a "soft reboot" that shakes up the status quo so that the revival has a chance to have its own identity while still being connected to the initial run (some might even say it could be considered more of a sequel than a revival). Like others, I am curious to see how they handle the subject of Luanne and Lucky.

At the end of the day, it really boils down to the execution and I am willing to wait and see how things unfold before coming to any final thoughts on the matter.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's a fun fact. Benjamin Valic said in this article about how he considers Robert Downey Jr as one of his favorite actors.

What I currently plan: Artistic Alphabet, but with references to various Anime Superhero members in the background.

This is the original version, it was made in 1996 and uploaded to Youtube a decade later:
TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!
To think that it was 5 years ago on this day when Ronnie Anne Santiago made her "formal"/on-screen debut. It was on May 3rd of that year when she made her "technical"/off-screen debut.

The winner of this matchup is Surprise, which got 4 votes. The Birthday Cruise got 1 vote. The next matchup is Sleepover Sneak In. It's between "Slumber Party Sneak In" from Too Loud and "Blunder Party" from The Casagrandes.

Featured Posts