"Kid Cosmic" Series Talkback Thread

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
All right, guys. I just watched Kid Cosmic Season 2 that just came out on Netflix today. And....wow. I have no words for this.

When Craig said Season 2 raised higher stakes than Season 1, he ain't joking around.

I gotta say, Season 2 is much better than the first one.

The animation is still outstanding, as always. The cute moments are really cute. The stories are fantastic, as per usual. Finally, the characters are wonderfully and the villains are so fun to watch.

Fantoes is a pretty villian. He kind of reminds me of Mojo Jojo who is hammy and over the top, but so sinister and intimidating. He put that biker guy to shame.

The planets does give me that Wonder over Yonder vibes, especially that Erodous planet.

One of things I do like about Kid Cosmic was the concept of the powerful gemstones. I thought it was very unique and very original. It had that mixture between The Elements of Harmony from My Little Pony and The Kryptonite from Superman. I really want to learn more about them.

The best episodes for me Episode 6, 7, and 8 (the last three episodes). Those are the best episodes of the entire series for me. Especially Episode 6 because of how cathartic it is.

Here's the thing. I wasn't too crazy about Kid Cosmic (the main character) all that much. Sure, he can be funny, cute, and fun at times. But, there are some moments in which he really gets on my nerves.

The half of Season 2, he was a massive whiney nuisance. I get that's the point of his character, but come on?! Seeing him being so impulsive really makes me want to pull my hair out.

With Episode 6, Jo just straight up chew Kid out by saying ''You Suck!''

I'm like, DAMN!

I was not expecting that, but that moment is so cathartic that I had to applaud this show for doing that.

After that, Kid went through five stages of grief, ala Tanks for The Memories style. Not gotta lie, that was one of the best moments featuring Kid because at least he did mature a bit and accept the fact that he sucked. Though, Jo later on apologized because she wasn't thinking things through.

Speaking of Jo, she had an interesting role in this season. She wants to be a leader who want to protect the planets and the galaxy.

She had been going through trials and tribulations throughout this season and she did learn and grow as a person. I really like the character development she had in this season and she's very likeable

Also, on a side note, Rest in peace, Mo's Oasis.

Although, there are a couple of issues I had with this season is that Queen Xhan was underdeveloped. Sure, she did taught Jo on how to be a leader, but that was it. We didn't get to know much about Xhan other than she's a lone survivor of the other planets. Plus, there are some questions that didn't get resolved, especially the ending. Did Xhan survived or she died? I don't know. I hope Season 3 answered some of the questions.

Now, with the ending? I love it. Sure, the diner was gone, but I'm happy that the Local Heroes survives. The best moment for me was the three agent girls.

I never thought much of them at first, but when I heard the blonde agent's voice, I was like, ''wait, is that Tara?'' Then, I look at the agents' design, and the name, Power Protection Group, I was like, ''Oooh, I see what you did there, Craig.'' Clever.
Capture1088.PNG

Not to mention, they used the line from classic PPG intro.

Okay, it's official, Kid Cosmic is the TRUE Powerpuff Girls reboot we all deserve! :D

Jokes asides, it's great to see the OG voice actors came back playing the new agents. I'm curious what Season 3 are going to do with them. I hope they are just as likable as the classic girls.

Overall, Kid Cosmic has gotten better and better in every season, and Season 2 is no exception.

I heard that Craig said that Season 3 will be it's last and it will be focusing Papa Greg. I honestly do respect him for that. If he want to end the show on his own accord, then that's great. I really enjoyed Season 2 and I'm looking forward to Season 3. really hope it ends with a bang instead of a whimper.

With that said, I'll give Kid Cosmic Season 2 a 9.5/10 stars. It's a really great season.

Last edited:

Perla Magica

Digital Love
The second season really great, once again the story got really good and exciting, the duration of the episodes is again different, this time from 15 to 25 minutes.

Jo's character growth was also good, Flo's role in this season helped a lot. :)

Fantos is a both threating and funny villain I hoped to see, I like this type of a vilian.

Oh, and the PPG agents, I'm surprised to see Powerpuff Girls as the World Protection Agents in Kid Cosmic's universe. Bravo, Craig! :)

And with all thoughts from me, let's see what the final season will turn out.

Overall: 9/10

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
I don't have too much to add to my season 1 review. This show has the general feel of a much longer show than it is. The series of events that ended with the stones in the hands of the space mafia feels like that could have been an episode all by itself.

Was not expecting Queen Xhan's development to go in that direction. That was fascinating.

I feel like everyone wants to score points by calling out "toxic nerd culture" these days, but Fantos is probably one of the few times in recent memory where the critique really landed. And like Stuck Chuck in season 1, the writing nailed that sweet spot of menacing, but also ridiculously goofy.

Frontier

Staff member
It was kind of interesting for the second season of Kid Cosmic for the titular character to take a backseat for Jo to take the brunt of the plot and character development. I mean, Kid was obviously still prominent and a major character, and still kind of the emotional heart of the show, but he was more of a hindrance than a protagonist for much of the season. Although I guess they threw him a bone in the end where he's able to come up with the way to beat Erodius through the Ring power he was stuck with all season :D.

Jo got a surprisingly emotionally investing story of coming into her own as a young woman and learning to appreciate her mother while contending with having Xhan as a mentor. I thought it was cool that Amanda Celine Miller's character got to be mentored by Cree Summer, the African American female voice actor, not that Xhan was that great a mentor :oops:.

The Local Heroes may have gotten through season 1 but obviously they aren't still an efficient and effective Superhero team and are just making it up as they go along, which the premier makes pretty clear when you see how badly their first fight with Fantos goes :eek:.

Speaking of Fantos, he toed the line between an effective antagonist and a comedic foil for the cast surprisingly effectively. Like as hard as it was to take him seriously sometimes, he was also quite dangerous and efficient with the rings when he had them. And of course he still lives with his mom (who finally has enough with him by the end of the season). I like Bobby Moynihan and he performed the role well, but he was so heavily modulated you never would've known it was him :sweat:.

It was cool seeing more of the ring powers and which classic superpowers they exhibited. Of course they had to have super-speed in there ;).

It was pretty neat how the team gathering the rings kept passing on to their proper new user as the season went along and they added more of the supporting cast to the Local Heroes. And then we had everyone involved for the final fight. Even Chuck :cool:.

How unsurprising that the married couple get the fire and ice rings and actually make using said rings sound like foreplay :p.

Once again the main season conflict comes down to the Local Heroes losing their powers to a being that, on-paper, seems more competent and capable than they are but in the end it turns out we need their brand of heart and heroism :).

I'm so glad that Space delivery guy was okay, got to reunite with his family, and help save the day in the end :proud:.

It took me a second to realize the PPG! gag until I heard Tara Strong and the name. People doing a grown-up Powerpuff Girls and Craig beats them to it, and even gets back their original VA's. Now I guess it'll be up to the Local Heroes to fight actual Supervillains misusing the Rings' powers, on-top of maybe Fantos if he survived...and figuring out what happened to Xhan and the tiny aliens o_O.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
So....now, I finally watched Season 3 of Kid Cosmic on Netflix, and my god, it's one hell of a great ride.

I'm not gonna spoil it for those who had not seen Season 3 nor the show, but please please do so. Go check it out. Kid Cosmic is the best Craig McCracken cartoon......since the original Powerpuff Girls, and that's saying a lot.

However, for those who DO seen it? OH BOY, I got a lot to say about this.

So SPOILERS!!

Okay, let me get this out of the way. I'm going to say it in three words: SUCK. IT. DISNEY!!!!!

I will NEVER forgive you for screwing over Wander over Yander and you did my boi Craig dirty. I'm SO glad that he's out of the Mouse House and moved over to Netflix, so he can finally have the creative freedom and created a show the way HE wanted to make it because.....let's be honest, it's not worth it.

So with that said, before I get into my thoughts on the final season, here's my memories with Kid Cosmic.

I remember back in late 2018 when Netflix announced that Craig McCracken is working on a new show for the streaming service, and I was excited. During the time when Wander over Yander got cancelled and the Powerpuff Girls 2016 reboot came out, it soured a lot of people (including me) that corporate mandates screwing over Craig's hard work (whatever he's involved in or not) in the worst way possible. Thankfully, Craig's not gonna give up as he worked on Kid Cosmic for quite a long time, and putting his personal project on Netflix is a great place for it.

When the first trailer came out, I was very impressed. This actually looks and feels like a comic book superhero story, but with a McCracken twist to it. However, I was keeping my expectations very low since I don't want to overhype myself because for all I know, it could ended up disappointing (I'm looking at you, Jellystone). So, I just wait and see on what show is going to be before pass judgements.

Then, the show came out, and I was blown away. I love the animation. I love the characters. The stories are fantastic. So many adorable and emotional moments that made me gushed. It has a storyline that really pulled me in. I've never experience stuff like this since Avatar The Last Airbender. I'm dead serious. Every time it ends on a emotional cliffhanger, I went "Dammit Craig!" Man, this show knoows how to pull me in.

Kid Cosmic is a prime example of Craig getting back in its A-game. In my opinion, this is what the PPG 2016 reboot should've been and I find Kid Cosmic a much better reboot than the actual PPG reboot because.....you know how I feel about that one. I'm not gonna bother talking about it again.

Anyways, with Season 1, I actually do like Season 1. It's pretty cute and I do like some of the moments in that season. However, I find the first half of season 1 to be kinda slow to me and I do find Kid annoying(not as bad as Blooagard, but still). Other than that, I do enjoy Season 1.

Season 2 was amazing. It raised the stakes from the first season, and it has some (pardon my french) ballsy moments. My favorite moment of the entire season (if not the whole series) is Jo and Kid having a fight over being the leader, and Jo just chewed him out by saying "YOU SUCK!!!!" I was like "DAMN!" and after that I applaud because 1) how cathartic it is, and 2) Kid deserved that because.....you know what I mean. Second best moment for me was three agent girls. My inner child feels happy seeing them again and hearing the original voice actors again just put a smile on my face.

And now, we get to Season 3.

Oh. My. God. Where do I start?

The story continues where the Season 2 finale left off in which the PPGs took the local heroes to their headquarters and honoring them as Global Heroes, and Kid was having the time of his life. However, there was a mysterious fourteenth stone that we (as the audience) don't know about and lead into to some interesting stuff. Then, there's also, Jo knew something was off, and Papa G knew about this way before she did. They lived in some type of fantasy world that Fantos sucked the heroes into. Papa G wanted to tell Kid the truth, but he couldn't because he saw how Kid was happy. Kid has been going through a hard life as it is, so lived in a fantasy world felt like an escape to him. It copes him.

I can understand where he's coming from because he don't want to upset the boy like he did last time, but at the same time, it's best to tell him the truth.

Once Kid was going through all of the obstacles, he saw (gaps) his mommy and daddy was alive?! OMG! Isn't it a touchy family reunion or what? Okay, sarcasm aside, Papa G finally told Kid about this fantasy world was a lie. While Kid was devastated, he understand the whole truth and he wants to go back home on Earth.

One of the best moment for Kid he said that he would rather try and fail at something real than winning at something fake. Now that's the damn truth I like to hear. Kid can be very very annoying personally, but little moments like this where I can tolerate him as a character because at least he feel genuine.

Next, Queen Xhan has returned and I'm so glad that she and the local heroes are safe. Although, Rosa wanted to fight, but she got some backup along the way. I really love Rosa. She's so funny and adorable.

Then, Fantos planned to take down Earth with his stones and Erodious, so it's up to the local heroes to stop it all. Another best moment of the season was the sad moment between Kid and Papa G. I thought it was so beautiful and emotional. The backstory with Little Kid and Papa G was so cute. It was so heartbreaking to see Kid was crying because he thought he was going to lose Papa G, just like his parents. I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw the scene where Papa G getting crushed by boulders, I thought he's going to come back no problem. When Kid was trying to get Papa G out and going to the back backstory, I thought "oh crap, he is dead". Though, he's alive thankfully.

While the local heroes didn't succeed their mission, Erodious take down Fantos itself, which is surprising. Another thing Erodious makes it so interesting is that it used to be a beautiful planet that can heal people. The power gemstones came from this planet alone. Once Eriodious was destroyed, the last piece flies to Papa G's hands.

This is where the scene got me. Papa G reveals that he is 112 years old, and he's wearing the Eriodious piece the entire time. So he makes the ultimate sacrifice by throwing the piece to Erodious and quickly head back to the local heroes. At first, I thought Papa G wasn't gonna make it in time, but thankfully he did, and I was relieved.

Then, as time goes on, Mo's Oasis was rebuilt and this time, the aliens characters join along on Earth and visit the diner, and thanking Kid Cosmic for heroic duties to protect the galaxy and some crazy adventures. You know what? I'm happy for him.

That concludes Kid Cosmic on a sweet note.

Overall, Season 3 is pretty solid. It did tied some loose ends. It raised the stakes much higher than the previous 2 seasons. It had some very genuine, sweet, and emotional moments, and at least the show knew where to end it. The way they ended was pretty nice.

I'll give this season a 9 out of 10 stars. It's amazing!

Overall with Kid Cosmic, it's a really good show. Not to mention, very underrated. I don't hear anyone talking about it since it got overshadowed by other shows like the Loud House, or Jellystone, or Patrick Star Show. Which it's a shame because Kid Cosmic deserves a lot more attention. It has great animation, great and likeable characters, and a wonderful story. What's not to love? Plus, with Craig McCracken at the helm, this cartoon proves that he hasn't lost his touch.

For over a year, it was such a wild ride and I want to thank Craig and the crew for making such an amazing show.

I'll give the series overall a 9.8 out of 10. It's an amazing show.

If you're a fan of Craig's work, go check it out if you hadn't seen it. It's well worth out.

So that's my thoughts.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
I recently noticed that few Netflix animated shows started and ended within a year (or few months), Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, Glitch Techs, Centaurworld and now, Kid Cosmic. A year and a day that's a lot for a show that has 3 seasons and 24 episodes.

This season was a wild rollercoaster and with some unexpected turns of events. It's surprising that Fantos made the fantasy dimension to trap Kid and the rest of the group here, and Papa G already knew that something's not right about this place.

In other words, the PPG agents, I.R.I.S. (which I loved her with robot body), giant mecha robot, and even Kid's parents weren't real - it's all fantasy inspired by comic books. I'm really touched by Kid's realization about the hardest truth. The flashback with little Kid and Papa G was really sweet and touching, even the song was touching.

Papa G's lucky talisman was the fourteenth stone this whole time and it was the last piece that Erodious was searching for? WOW! Good story twist. Erodious also killed Fantos? I'm shocked but also surprised.

Also, season 3's theme was "sacrifice", and by that meaning I was really stunned by episode 5, Papa G sacrificing his lucky talisman to heal Erodius was not only a great scene but also had me worry about his health, I mean, he's 112-year-old (he confirmed that by the way). The last episode brought me relief that Papa G's still alive but now he's on the wheelchair.

Speaking of the last episode, I think it was a great way to end the show. Humans of Earth are not going to thank Kid Cosmic and the Local Heroes for saving Earth, the aliens of course are thanking Kid Cosmic and the Local Heroes for saving not only the Earth but the whole galaxy and everyone celebrates at newly rebuilted diner.

I'm going to miss this show to be honest, within a year and a day, Craig McCracken gave us a serialized show that has full beginning, middle and end. And I'm happy that Netflix gave him a opportunity to make Kid Cosmic the way he wanted.

Overall, a great ending for a great series. 9/10

Frontier

Staff member
I thought this was a very strong conclusion to Kid Cosmic and the entire saga of the Local Heroes. There were definitely some twists and turns but all in all everything was resolved satisfactorily and in a way that was true to the series' ethos and character, and the cast got to close out their adventures on a high note. As much as I would like to see them again, I can't see any continuation that could really add anything more meaningful after a strong and full-circle ending :D.

I have to admit, it's pretty gutsy that they wrote off the entirety of the season 2 finale as basically a dream sequence and that they never actually beat Erodius. Like, it was such a big deal and a triumphant moment, only for it and the subsequent beginning of the Global Heroes to be a big fantasy spun up from Kid's mind. They definitely did a good job of lulling the audience into a false sense of security and believing it was all actually happening before slowly unveiling the truth. And the real kicker for knowing it wasn't real was that things were going too well for them :p.

All those different comic book mash-up characters that the Global Heroes fought were pretty fun even if I guess in hindsight them being so derivative and comic book-y was the point o_O.

Was Sam Riegel's character a nod to his Wander Over Yonder character? Especially the hair? Coupled with the PPG, all we were missing was a Fosters nod...unless I missed it :sweat:.

I love how the fight with the PPG girls started seriously but eventually got to a point where they were basically just throwing themselves at the door without Kid having to do anything so he could get through. And Bubbles throwing herself back into the wall to make sure she was knocked out was hilarious :rolleyes2:.

Papa G had an an eldest son? Knowing what we learn later it really puts into light Papa G outliving all his family and that Kid was the only family Papa G had left...meaning their connection and bond over only having each other was mutual :oops:.

Kid's parents are actually voiced by a legitimate VA couple, Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey, which was pretty neat. I'm also assuming Kids' mother was Papa G's daughter since she had the blonde hair and glasses that seem genetic at this point given Papa G was a dead ringer for Kid in those flashbacks ;).

It was nice to give Rosa at least one spotlight episode as she manages to retain the motivation to keep fighting and not giving up even when everyone else had, even Kid, and underestimated her. She was one of the core members of the Local Heroes from day one, so it was cool to see her be the one to reinvigorate and re-empower the entire group :proud:.

I guess Craig couldn't resist going full Galactus with Fantos in the end :cool:.

"But my mom hates me..." then, and only then, is probably the one time in the whole series where the audience might actually feel bad for Fantos :ack:.

I was definitely surprised with Erodius by the end, not only that he was sentient and took Fantos out of his own accord, but that he was originally just a healing, peaceful, planet stuck absorbing others as it desperately searched for the missing piece it lost :eek:.

The way they kept emphasizing Papa G's lucky rock and bringing up the Fourteenth Stone, I had a feeling the two would end up linked together, but I wasn't expecting it to be the source of Papa G's vitality or that he would be that old. Turns out the old time-y nature of his flashback wasn't just for cartoonish effect. And it set up Papa G's sacrifice and how it brought his relationship with Kid full-circle in a beautiful, and heartbreaking, way :yawn:.

It felt so poignant that the one time Kid called Papa G "Grandpa" in the entire series was when he was desperately pleading for him to make it to Jo's portal :crying:.

The Local Heroes all burying their Stones of Power and honoring the planets that were destroyed to make them, and the aliens they knew and didn't know, was a very nice and respectful way to end the Stones of Power. And all that tragedy led to some good as now all the surviving alien characters can have fun on Earth with the Local Heroes at Flo's Diner :anime:.

This season really reminded me a lot of season 1 in terms of always surprising you with how they handled Kid. Like everyone, including Jo, assumes he won't take it well when he sees his parents again before Papa G can tell him the truth, but not only does he maturely accept and understand it's not real, he doesn't take long to get back into the fight with Erodius alongside everybody else. And then at the end when you think he's throwing another tantrum and acting out because he wants to be a hero, it's only because he doesn't want everyone to forget what they've been through and the impact it had on all of them. And in the end Kid is the one who realized, before everybody else, that Erodius needed saving too :).

I love how the government shows up in the final ending credit sequence to presumably deal with all the aliens, only for them to then get beamed up for good measure :elle:.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Was Sam Riegel's character a nod to his Wander Over Yonder character? Especially the hair? Coupled with the PPG, all we were missing was a Fosters nod...unless I missed it :sweat:.
Well, they got Mac as a cameo. ;)

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
I liked the finale, even if there were some issues here and there I probably wouldn't forgive in a lesser show.

I don't really have much to add, but the show and this season in particular is such a love letter to fan culture and childhood. That scene where Kid explains to Papa G that Dr. Fang created the creatures, but isn't actually in the band is definitely something I would've done when I was Kid's age.

glennbyrnes

I've got a feeling that we didn't see the last of Kid Cosmic. Something tells me that he and the Local Heroes will return

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts