Kent State University - Adult Swim class

noclist

bob loblaws law blog
I just took the one and only class in the nation covering Adult Swim at Kent State over the spring semester. Pretty amazing class, 1 day a week we watch adult swim cartoons and learn about the creators, animation techniques, etc. Anyone else happen to go to Kent State and have taken it?

dmoss

I can't believe that there is actually such a class! That sounds like something that would be pretty fun, really. What kind of tests and things were there, if there were any? Also, what kind of a degree does it help towards?

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
noclist's Profile said:
Date of Birth: March 20, 1986
Biography
: 16 year old male
Other Interests
: adult swim, video games, late night with conan o'brien, music, movies, guitar

:confused:

dmoss

It looks like he just hasn't changed his profile page since he joined. His age says 22, so obviously he was 16, and in high school when he joined Toon Zone in 2002. ;) I suppose that's what you were bringing attention to...?

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Ah. That makes sense. I was wondering how a high school student could enroll in a college course...

SandStone88

Lurker
lol wut

An Adult Swim class in Kent State? Oh how I wish every university would have a class like that. (At least the ones close to where I live) heh

noclist

bob loblaws law blog
yeah, I haven't posted in quite a while. apparently i was 16 when i signed up, guess I should change my profile...

the class was basically 3 assignments, a "bump" assignment where you are assigned a night to watch adult swim in it's entirety and record all of the bumps between shows, a terms assignment where you were given animation terms and had to watch shows and find examples of them, and the final assignment was just a paper on any adult swim show, music, or topic. i wrote about home movies. if anyone has the opportunity to take it, make sure you do so. the teacher has great connections with all the adult swim guys and usually has guest lectures via webcam. one of the first years he taught it brendon small actually visited the university to give a lecture.

the class is in the journalism and mass communication department.

M

mupidchik

best class ever

hard to believe such a class exists, right? but our Adult Swim class was so great! you get credit for watching cartoons once a week and hardly doing any assignments at all. it's a pretty easy A. we didn't have a special guest this past semester but our teacher is going to invite us back because he's trying to get Seth Green and Matthew Senreich to do an interview over the summer. we watched everything from 12 oz. Mouse to Mission Hill, the Futurama and ATHF movies and much much more. I miss my Metalocalypse friend, and the entire front row...

Master Moron

So, does this class only focus on the Adult Swim originals, or does it also focus on the acquisitions? For instance, could you write your paper on Death Note?

noclist

bob loblaws law blog
The class was actually broken into 4 sections, Reclamation (Home Movies, Mission Hill, Oblongs, Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad), Recycled (Space Ghost, Brak, Harvey Birdman, Sealab), New (Aqua Teen, Squidbillies, etc.) and Indies (Tom, Robot Chicken, etc.). You were free to write the final paper on anything you wanted, didn't even have to be a show. For example, it could have been on the music of MC Chris or like a biography of Aaron McGruder

M

mupidchik

I wrote my paper on a show that wasn't even originally an Adult Swim cartoon...Mission Hill. And I'm proud to say I was the first person to ever write a paper on that show, or at least that's what our teacher told me. My paper focused on how the show got started and how it came to Adult Swim. Plus we were supposed to find instances in our chosen topic that related to the terms we defined in a previous assignment. For example...Implied Line Animation. In Mission Hill you can see Andy drink hot coffee...the lines seen coming from the cup of coffee are there to imply that there is steam coming from it. Or other instances show people smoking cigarettes and the lines are there to imply smoke coming from that cigarette.

Master Moron

The class was actually broken into 4 sections, Reclamation (Home Movies, Mission Hill, Oblongs, Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad), Recycled (Space Ghost, Brak, Harvey Birdman, Sealab), New (Aqua Teen, Squidbillies, etc.) and Indies (Tom, Robot Chicken, etc.). You were free to write the final paper on anything you wanted, didn't even have to be a show. For example, it could have been on the music of MC Chris or like a biography of Aaron McGruder

So, then I guess the class didn't cover anime at all? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering how much Adult Swim neglects anime. Wait, how are Tom and Robot Chicken indies? Doesn't Williams Street make those?

noclist

bob loblaws law blog
The only anime the class covered was Shin Chan, if you consider it one. I didn't think Tom and Robot Chicken were Wiliams Street, maybe they are though. Regardless, they were in the indie section of the class. Doesn't Seth Green have his own production company Stupid Monkey that does Chicken?

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
So, then I guess the class didn't cover anime at all? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering how much Adult Swim neglects anime. Wait, how are Tom and Robot Chicken indies? Doesn't Williams Street make those?

Robot Chicken and Tom aren't in-house WS productions.

And Shin-Chan is definately an anime, noclist. So how many people were in your class? Did it fill up quickly?

noclist

bob loblaws law blog
It was probably 25-30 students, pretty sure it filled up super fast, I registered for it the first day I was eligible to. This fall I'm taking a film comedy class from the same professor. Other classes he has include Cult Films, Comics to Movies, Monster Movies, and Orson Welles. Pretty cool guy.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts