Karma works against good guys too

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Wussycat

Nov 2, 2005
Nowhere
What examples are there of karma biting a good guy in the butt?

Codename: Kids Next Door - Operation: SPANK
Count Spankulot spanks Sector V when he finds out that they set him up.

The Powerpuff Girls - Moral Decay
The villains knock all of her teeth out, and the money she made from putting other people's teeth under her pillow is spent on her dental bill.

Wussycat

Nov 2, 2005
Nowhere
Super Leviathan said:
I'm assuming we're drawing a distinction between "Good Guy" and "Protagonist",

Spongebob is full of examples of Good Guys taking punishment from Karma,

Some Examples:
Opposite Day: Spongebob and Patrick are chased into the distance by an irate Squidward in a tractor at the end of the episode
Jellyfish Jam: Spongebob's House is nearly destroyed by Jellyfish
Bossy Boots: Spongebob is reduced from being a frycook to tossing salads to dressing up in a demeaning "Krab" suit
Suds: Patrick is used to scrub a catcus and a toilet bowl...
Hooky: Patrick is sealed in a can of tuna
Spongebob's House Party: Spongebob is locked out of his house, tries to reenter and fails, and is arrested by uninvited police officers
I was a teenage Gary: Spongebob is transformed into a Snail
Gary Takes a Bath: Spngebob tries to give Gary a Bath and is duped in typical Roadrunner-and-Coyote fashion
Rock Bottom: The Buses give Spongebob and awful hard time in his quest to get home
Do you know what karma is?

It's when someone does something bad and, sooner or later, gets punished for it. In some of those examples you gave, the punished didn't do anything to deserve it.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Wussycat said:
Do you know what karma is? It's when someone does something bad and gets the punishment they deserve, sometimes in an unexpected way.
Yes, I know what it means. Spongebob still has examples of good guys recieving retribution for misdeeds

For Example:
In Hooky and Suds Patrick, mostly a good guy, misleads Spongebob into playing on the hooks and not going to the doctor, repsectively. Patrick is punished at the end of both episodes with some kind of physical abuse.

For other better examples, there's Squirrel Jokes (Spongebob tells insulting jokes about Sandy, and is overinflated with water), Survival of the Idiots (Spongebob and Patrick strip Sandy of her fur, and are used by Sandy as covering), and Pranks a Lot (Spongebob and Patrick make themselves invisible and scare everyone, and Mr. Krabs throws a live show at the Krusty Krab featuring them nude)

Wussycat

Nov 2, 2005
Nowhere
Super Leviathan said:
Yes, I know what it means. Spongebob still has examples of good guys recieving retribution for misdeeds

For Example:
In Hooky and Suds Patrick, mostly a good guy, misleads Spongebob into playing on the hooks and not going to the doctor, repsectively. Patrick is punished at the end of both episodes with some kind of physical abuse.

For other better examples, there's Squirrel Jokes (Spongebob tells instuling jokes about Sandy, and is overinflated with water), Survival of the Idiots (Spongebob and Patrick strip Sandy of her fur, and are used by Sandy as covering), and Pranks a Lot (Spongebob and Patrick make themselves invisible and scare everyone, and Mr. Krabs throws a live show at the Krusty Krab featuring them nude)
What did SpongeBob do in Jellyfish Jam to deserve what happened to him?

FinnMacCool

Jan 31, 2006
Ratings
Minnesota
Well, in most theories of karma, the punishment is frequently thought to occur after reincarnation, so what a person suffers in this life is actually because of bad things they did in their previous life.

The Looney Tunes short Tortoise Wins by a Hare is a good example. :p

There are a lot of instances where karma does the good guy in, especially in Disney toons. I can't stand using the spoiler tags - too hard on the eyes - so I'll just warn that there are spoilers ahead.

Kim Possible had an episode where Ron became super-rich, and he became egotistical and self-centered. In the end the money is taken from him by the villains.

The Replacements is a prime example as well. Every episode is about how the two kids will try to "replace" something for a better version... until the replacement turns out to be worse then the original.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm really tired at the moment.

Nov 4, 2004
Chesapeake, Va USA
I also hate those shows where jerks, certain bad guys, or tyrants always do bad things and never get what they deserve.

Especially in Dinosaurs. Earl's boss, Mr. Richfield, always does mean things and usually gets away with it. Especially in the final episode where Richfield has the world destroyed and gets lots of money out of it and Earl gets all the blame. It's like Mr. Richfield's immune to karma.

Wussycat

Nov 2, 2005
Nowhere
The Powerpuff Girls

A Very Special Blossom
Blossom is made to do community service after she stole the golf clubs and tried to frame Mojo Jojo.

Ploys R' Us
I can't remember how, but the girls are punished for taking advantage of the Professor's sleep-stealing.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
Ratings
Cullen said:
I also hate those shows where jerks, certain bad guys, or tyrants always do bad things and never get what they deserve.

Especially in Dinosaurs. Earl's boss, Mr. Richfield, always does mean things and usually gets away with it. Especially in the final episode where Richfield has the world destroyed and gets lots of money out of it and Earl gets all the blame. It's like Mr. Richfield's immune to karma.
I don't know about that. We Say So Corporation is pretty clearly a mockery of companies who break all the rules in pursuit of profit. That's what the finale is all about- they finally go too far and create a situation which we the audience knows kill their species.

judyindisguise

Oct 10, 2005
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the meaning of "karma" was along the lines of "what goes around comes around" or "you reap what you sow". In other words, if you do something wrong, then sooner or later the universe/The Powers That Be will see to it that you pay for it. Now good guys usually do nothing to deserve punishment, so I don't see how karma figures into their getting crapped on for no reason. Maybe the title of this thread should be "rain falls on both the just and unjust" or "life isn't fair".

May 8, 2014
Ratings
with My Little Pony increesingly ignoring concequences for actions, I found it refressing when rewatching 101 Dalmatians The Series that the main characters and some others, almost always have karma bite them or get actually punished by their authority figures.

ToonReel

Oct 24, 2013
Ratings
Bugs Bunny was known for getting token defeats and humiliations, almost always after he acted like too much of a smarmy little jerk.

Rebel Rabbit and the Cecil Turtle trilogy are key examples. Rabbit Rampage can also be considered a belated one after Duck Amuck.

Speedy Gonzales suffered a couple of these too, though he acted up less often than Bugs so got punished less often. Mucho Locos for example ends with Daffy malleting him on the head after one too many stories about "El Stupid Duck".

And there's also those dozen or so times Tom got the last laugh on Jerry, again almost always cases where Jerry started the fight or got WAY more vindictive than Tom.