"Justice Society: World War II" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A new original animated movie, Justice Society: World War II was announced for Spring 2021.

Release Date: April 27 (Digital) and May 11 (4K, Blu-ray)

Sources: IGN's Superman: Man of Tomorrow panel, at the 44:00 minutes mark.

IGN article.

Stay tuned for further updates!
Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
Wow, I was always hoping we'd get an animated film based around the Justice Society, but I never thought we'd actually see it :D.

I'm actually wondering if they might use this as a Wonder Woman vehicle along with the JSA. DC corporate have started pushing Diana as having started around WWII as a her main origin and she was rumored to be part of a JSA book set in that era :confused:.

Looking forward to who the roster will be. Hopefully the classics like Alan, Jay, Ted, and Carter will make it in :cool:.

Frontier

Staff member
It was also implied Matt Bomer might have a voice role in the movie.
I wonder if he's playing Alan Scott. It seems like the comics are leaning into the classic version of Alan having been a closeted gay man...of course, Matt Bomer's already played that role in a DC production so he might not want to repeat himself :p.
Wow... this was a surprise. A deep pull that might be a bit of a gamble for WB from a marketing perspective.

I fully expect to see Wonder Woman playing a big role in this one.
I would not be surprised if they're using this film to get around the fact that Wonder Woman's solo films haven't sold so well, so instead they'll make her a lead of another property :).

Otaku-sempai

I would not be surprised if they're using this film to get around the fact that Wonder Woman's solo films haven't sold so well, so instead they'll make her a lead of another property :).
Let's wait and see if Diana is actually in this movie. I'm skeptical, though I can see how it could work using the example of Justice League: The New Frontier. This could conceivably even function as a prequel to The New Frontier.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I wonder if the Stargirl show helped get this made.
Think it has more to do with, like Suicide Squad, they're getting the silver screen treatment via Black Adam (and I think The Rock just hinted that the JSA are going to be the new main DCEU team).
JL Dark, on the other hand for all the exposure they got like no other team of characters, are going straight to streaming.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder if the Stargirl show helped get this made.
Think it has more to do with, like Suicide Squad, they're getting the silver screen treatment via Black Adam (and I think The Rock just hinted that the JSA are going to be the new main DCEU team).
JL Dark, on the other hand for all the exposure they got like no other team of characters, are going straight to streaming.
I think it's likely a mix of the positive reception to Stargirl as well as the JSA's role in Black Adam :).
Wow, obviously this was the biggest surprise in the 2021 slate. It's definitely the one I'm looking the most forward to. Should be in good hands since Butch Lukic is a World War II aficionado. I think it's a lock there will be War Wheels. :D
Sgt Rock appearance or bust ;).

DCAMUFAN

I wonder what the blu-ray special features will be? I'd imagine hopefully a commentary track, a feature on WWII and how the animators used that to influence the story. Maybe another feature on the history of the Justice Society?

Frontier

Staff member
Justice League's "Legends" or The Brave and The Bold's "Crisis: 22,300 Miles Above Earth!" come to mind. Maybe Young Justice's "Humanity". Legends is still one of my all time favorites of JL and the Timmverse.
I thought about "Legends," and while it's a nice send-up of the JSA, I was kind of hoping for stuff that actually featured them...but I wouldn't be surprised if they include it :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts