"Justice League Warworld" Animated Feature News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I assume this will be the pay-off movie to the little end credit tease from Batman: The Long Halloween - Part Two. Superman (or anyone really) is trapped on War World and the League must be formed to save him from Mongul?

I know this reminds us all of the less than successful episode from Timm's Justice League, but at least Mongul is something a little different for these animated films.

EmaHalJordan

It is always nice to speculate who will be in the League, more in this universe that we have already seen that the team already had its history and members.
I bet we will see Green Arrow Vixen Shayera Green Lantern Martian Manhunter again and we will surely have some more surprises. I would love to see to Atom Firestorm and Red Tornado!
I also thought if this movie will not be like Justice League vs Fatal Five and revisit in DCAU!

Frontier

Staff member
I assume this will be the pay-off movie to the little end credit tease from Batman: The Long Halloween - Part Two. Superman (or anyone really) is trapped on War World and the League must be formed to save him from Mongul?

I know this reminds us all of the less than successful episode from Timm's Justice League, but at least Mongul is something a little different for these animated films.
I definitely think this is going to be the first real movie to show off the Tomorrow-verse Justice League all together (maybe so we get to see them as a team and as a group before Crisis) :).

The League is already fully-formed by the time of Beware My Power so this is probably continuing off of that, now with Batman and probably Earth-1 Wonder Woman (and possibly Aquaman) in tow...

I hope we get some good Superman content since Mongul is one of his foes :cool:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, this seems like it will be the first big Justice League movie in the new "Tomorrow-Verse" continuity. Interesting they're using Mongul, it might seem an odd choice but it's kind of a refreshing change of pace from Darkseid (who will probably still show up eventually).

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, this seems like it will be the first big Justice League movie in the new "Tomorrow-Verse" continuity. Interesting they're using Mongul, it might seem an odd choice but it's kind of a refreshing change of pace from Darkseid (who will probably still show up eventually).
And this like the first real Justice League animated film we've gotten since JLvsFF back in 2019 o_O.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
4/27/23: Still, synopsis, and cast revealed. First still posted, features Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Cast revealed are Jensen Ackles as Batman/Officer Wayne, Stana Katic as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince, Darren Criss as Superman/Agent Kent, Ike Amadi as Martian Manhunter/J'onn J'onzz, Troy Baker as Jonah Hex, Matt Bomer as Old Man, Roger C. Cross as Machiste, Brett Dalton as Bat Lash, Trevor Duvall as Drifter, John DiMaggio as Lobo, Robin Atkin Downes as Mongul, Frank Grillo as Agent Faraday, Rachel Kimsey as Mariah Romanova, David Lodge as Sheriff, Damian O'Hare as Deimos and Teddy Sears as Warlord. The official synopsis reads: "Until now, the Justice League has been a loose association of superpowered individuals. But when they are swept away to Warworld, a place of unending brutal gladiatorial combat, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and the others must somehow unite to form an unbeatable resistance able to lead an entire planet to freedom." Executive producers include Butch Lukic, Sam Register, and Michael Uslan. Jeff Wamester is the director, the screenwriters are Jeremy Adams, Ernie Altbacker, and Josie Campbell, and the producers are Jim Krieg and Kimberly S. Moreau.

Jeremy Adams clarifies he wrote one segment of the movie with Josie Campbell and Ernie Altbacker wrote the other parts. They conceived the story right as the Covid-19 pandemic was starting.

5/3: Rated R for some bloody violence.

5/23: Some French sites like Amazon fr have Warworld listed for August 23.

5/30: Alleged runtime is 89 minutes and 26 seconds. Involves escaping a series of alternate dimensions, fantasy violence, bloody shootings, beatings, blood, dead bodies in pools of blood, sexual harassment, innuendo, and xenophobia incident.

6/6: Amazon Prime posts cover art, trailer, and July 25 release date.

6/7: Trailer officially released.
Press release confirms Digital, 4K, and Blu-ray releases on July 25. Kari Walhlgen is also in the cast. Official covers posted. Special features are two featurettes: Illusions on Warworld about the process and designing three distinct genres for the Justice League to inhabit on Warworld and The Heroic, the Horrible, and the Hideous about origins and histories of key players on Warworld and adapting them for the movie.

6/16: Back covers released. Is 91 minutes.

6/28: Will be screened at San Diego Comic Con on July 22 at 9 pm in Ballroom 20.

Steelbook releases on August 23. (?)

7/18: 58 second Batman clip released.

7/19: "Agent Kent" clip posted.

7/21: IGN's Q&A with Wamester and Lukic.

"She's an Angel" clip posted.

SDCC rountable with Lukic and Wamester.

Summary of SDCC panel.

1:17 "The Rule" clip posted.

7/22: Comic-Con round table with Ernie Altbacker. The opening of the Wonder Woman section is inspired by the opening in "Once Upon a Time in the West".

7/23: 1:09 "Hopeless" clip posted.

1:32 "Jonah Hex" clip posted.

Comic-Con Q&A with Ernie Altbacker, Jeff Wamester, Jim Krieg, and Jeremy Adams. Krieg wanted to do a Green Lantern John Stewart section but there wasn't room.

7/24: Comic-Con Q&A with Butch Lukic. There are easter eggs to material like Conan and Krull in the Skartaris section.

Comic-Con Q&A with Jeff Wamester.

Comic-Con Q&A with Jeremy Adams.

Comic-Con Q&A with Butch Lukic, Ernie Altbacker, Jim Krieg, Jeff Wamester, and Jeremy Adams. Lukic liked the Skartaris area the most. Design was the biggest challenge because they had to create four worlds instead of one like usual. Altbacker saw an animatic a year and a half ago. Krieg wanted to do something different involving a hologram world and amnesia. The worlds are meant to keep them from remembering themselves because are so far from who they are. Wamester was most excited with the Wonder Woman section because he grew up watching Westerns. The Superman section was the hardest, playing around with the angles to build up the story and frenzy. The three writers conceptually came up with the movie then took a section each.

Comic-Con round table with Jim Krieg. Krieg and Butch Lukic wanted to use the DC Showcase shorts to tour the DC Universe but then no more were greenlit. Around Halloween 2021, Krieg wanted to watch Hammer horror movies but they weren't free on streaming so he watched Amicus movies and was inspired by their portmanteau movies like "Asylum" to make a framing movie with short stories within it. The three worlds are a combination of illusions, robotics, and cloning meant to cause fear and hate to fuel Warworld.

7/25: Comic-Con interview with Butch Lukic, Ernie Altbacker, Jim Krieg, Jeff Wamester, and Jeremy Adams.

7:49 Jim wanted the Silver (Shining) Knight.

7:53-54 I didn't get the Viking Prince.

8:54-9:11 There were a lot of Western characters we talked about. Tomahawk. Pow-Wow Smith. El Diablo. They were go-to's in DC in the 70s but we couldn't pack them all in.

Comic-Con Q&A with Butch Lukic. The working title was World's Finest, it was pitched five years ago, and it featured Superman and Batman.

1:10-1:33 Well, originally we pitched it that we were going to have them, Superman and Batman, and it was going to be called World's Finest and it was going to be based more on their adventures in those comics they did together. But as we went along with our earlier storyline, we realized 'Ok we need this, this, and this. And we do need Warworld in our story.'

2:19-2:32 Uh, no, that was just our working title. Because we pitched this five years earlier so once we got to here, we realized it's going to be Warworld so Warner changed the title to Warworld.

Comic-Con Q&A with Jeff Wamester.

Comic-Con Q&A with Jeremy Adams.

Comic-Con Q&A with Jim Krieg.

7/28: Summary from SDCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts