"Justice League vs. The Fatal Five" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Discuss "Justice League vs. The Fatal Five" and leave a rating!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
The heroes of today face the villains of the tomorrow! Check out this all new adventure spinning out of Justice League/Justice League Unlimited! Discuss the animated feature, the bonus content - all of it - right here!

Justice League vs. The Fatal Five
Studio:
Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: March 30, 2019 - Digital; April 16, 2019 - 4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray/DVD/DC Universe Streaming Service

Synopsis: Justice League vs. The Fatal Five finds the Earth’s future hanging in the balance when the Justice League faces a powerful new threat – the Fatal Five. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman seek answers as the time-traveling trio of Mano, Persuader and Tharok terrorize Metropolis in search of budding Green Lantern, Jessica Cruz – whom they need to free remaining Fatal Five members Emerald Empress and Validus in order to carry out their sinister plan. But the Justice League discover an ally from another time in the peculiar Star Boy – brimming with volatile power, could he be the key to thwarting the Fatal Five? An epic battle against ultimate evil awaits!

The Justice League vs. The Fatal Five all-star cast is led by Elyes Gabel as Thomas Kallor/Star Boy and Diane Guerrero as Jessica Cruz/Green Lantern. Reprising their Justice League/Justice League Unlimited roles as Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman, respectively, are Kevin Conroy, Susan Eisenberg and George Newbern. Providing the voices of the villainous Fatal Five are Peter Jessop as Tharok, Matthew Yang King as The Persuader, Sumalee Montano as Emerald Empress, and Philip Anthony Rodriguez as Mano. (Note: Validus does not speak) Other members of the voice cast include Daniela Bobadilla as Miss Martian, Kevin Michael Richardson as Mr. Terrific, Noel Fisher as Brainiac 5, Tara Strong as Saturn Girl, and Tom Kenny as Bloodsport.

Producer Sam Liu also directs Justice League vs. The Fatal Five from a script by Eric Carrasco and Jim Krieg & Alan Burnett. The film is based on a story by Carrasco. Burnett and Krieg are also co-producers. Amy McKenna is producer. Co-Executive Producers are Benjamin Melniker and Michael Uslan. Executive Producers are Sam Register and Bruce Timm.

Justice League vs. The Fatal Five Bonus Content:
Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital
-Battling the Invisible Menace (Featurette)– This featurette will explore the nuanced hero as many characters must deal with the everyday feelings of anxiety, depression, and other incapacitating emotions that we all must battle and overcome.
-Justice League vs. Fatal Five: Unity of Hero (Featurette) – A look at how the pantheon of DC heroes has never been more diverse and inclusive, as writers and artists break boundaries and smash stereotypes.
-Audio Commentary – Bruce Timm, Sam Liu, Jim Krieg and Eric Carrasco share their thoughts and insights on Justice League vs. The Fatal Five.
-A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, Batman: Hush – An advance look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection.
-Sneak Peek Revisited: A Preview of Justice League Dark – John Constantine leads a group of misfit characters that use magic to vanquish their opponents. This is the dark version of The Justice League taking on the malevolent forces that go beyond our plane of existence.
-Sneak Peek Revisited: A Preview of Justice League vs. Teen Titans – A glimpse into the characters known as the Teen Titans.
-From the DC Vault: Justice League Unlimited, “Far From Home
-From the DC Vault: Legion of Superheroes, “Man of Tomorrow

Discuss the Justice League vs. The Fatal Five animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Justice League vs. The Fatal Five animated feature and all aspects of the assorted home media releases. Discussion for both are now housed in one single talkback discussion thread. Spoilers are also allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related Threads:

-Justice League vs. The Fatal Five Subsite (Spoilers)
-Justice League vs. The Fatal Five Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)
-Batman and Harley Quinn Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Gods and Monsters Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League Unlimited "Far From Home" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Legion of Super Heroes "Man of Tomorrow" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series "New Kids in Town" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Lego DC Comics - Justice League: Cosmic Clash Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil and respectful toward each other and the topic itself. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
The iTunes page is glitching right now!! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Oh my god!!! I dont even know where to start!!! This whole thing was an absolute labor of love, and I'll cherish that thought for a long time. This crew REALLY cared about this film, and I'm so excited I get to watch it over and over and over again for "work"!!

This is JLU without the bat-embargo!!

THE ARKHAM INMATES!!!! ESPECIALLY HARLEY AND IVY!!!

and OMG!! The Corps!!!!

This whole thing makes me SOOOO happy and I really cant wait to just deep dive into it!

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Please use the Edit Button instead of posting in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

Millicay

Jan 15, 2019
Argentina
Wow, This honestly was great. Top quality stuff and definetly my favorite DC Animation movie in a looong time. It was so nice to see the connections with the DCAU (Robin in a JL movie? How can you not love that?) and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much I ended up liking Jessica Cruz and Star Boy.

This was a great return to form and would probably rank pretty high among the DCAU movies, just below Phantasm and Return of the Joker IMO.

Hope they keep this quality and to see more of the DCAU soon!

Also, the Green Lantern Corps continuity just got a whole lot more interesting...

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
I'm listening to the commentary now, and B.T. saying

"This is odd because last time we saw these two, Harley was a good guy. And now she's back in Arkham"

Makes me feel so validated lmfao.

Also, issuing SOOOOO many challenges to Watchtower Database as far as continuity goes

EDIT: I totally blanked on it when I watched the first time, but ARGUS is totally here, cementing another connection to Batman and Harley Quinn.

Theres so much fun stuff here!!

EDIT AGAIN:

Just got confirmation from Sam Liu and Eric Carrasco that Bruce Timm stated the movie is 100% canon (you'll have to click through the tweet)

Last edited:

Dusty

Superman.
Nov 15, 2003
Metropolis, Earth,
kal-dusty.deviantart.com
Such an awesome DCA feature. Thank you for bringing back the DCAU quality Mr. Timm.
I loved how Superman was Superman, (not JLU where he often came off cocky or overbearing, *before the lex story.) This reminded me of a mix of STAS and JL Season One. *yes I will say my usual comment... I miss the more comic-booky and mature design of Superman. But despite that personal nitpick, he was animated so well, and looked solid throughout... so surprised the character designs never got too bulky like the occasional JLU episode. They stayed lean and very BT OG.

The story was touching and had a great message, especially to me as I suffer from major mental challenges. This was not just action and adventure, but had heart and a good message.

b.t. If your wandering the forums, I hope you see this... Thank You!!! This was so fun and well done. I hope we get more DCAU style features. :) :D

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Where to begin? Justice League vs. The Fatal Five is an absolute gem. The heartfelt story, the characters, the nods and cameos, the music, the voices, all of it. It's more than I ever could have expected. I also may have cried. A tip, though? Avoid as many spoilers as you can. There's a lot of work that went into this and it's best experienced as fresh as possible. A full review will be posted soon on The World's Finest, of course. Time to watch it for a third time ...

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Jul 24, 2007
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
Astounding... I seriously loved every minute of it. Seeing the old art style, hearing the musical motifs and the classic voices plays a big part. But make no mistake, it's the story that really makes this one sing.

I completely feel in love with Jessica and Thomas. Their personal battles anchors the movie and gives it a great deal of heart. Both voice actors were perfectly cast as well.

I'll be so disappointed if this thing doesn't sell. It's one of the best DTV's (top three in this line for sure) they have ever done and you can't bring the DCAU back like this only to have it yanked from us again. Right?

Last edited:

stephenxcx

Mar 30, 2019
New Jersey
Longtime lurker, first time poster. No joke this might be one of my favorite movies ever. I laughed, I cried, I jumped up and down out of excitement. This is the movie I've been waiting for for so long. It's a return to JLU in a way I never imagined. The world feels so large and rich. It really feels like both a love letter to, and a continuation of the Timmverse. Basically my nerd dreams come true.

Also, I wasn't expecting to get so emotionally attached to Jessica and Thomas. As someone who deals with their own anxiety issues, I was a little skeptical as to how they were going to depict that in the film but it was spot on. When Jessica recited the GL oath I cried like a baby. Her and Thomas were so well done, it truly moved and inspired me. His last line "I'm a superhero" broke my heart.

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
I'm on my third time watching it already (jotting down a lot of notes) can't wait for my girlfriend to come home from work tonight so we can watch it together without my face in a screen jotting things down. Jessica reminds me A LOT of her so I'm really hoping she enjoys it as much as I've been.

Last edited:

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
Bruce Timm was asked as soon as the post-film panel started whether the film is canon and he said yes, so that made the audience very happy!
Nice to get the extra confirmation! I posted about this over on Reddit linking the tweet thread I linked here with Sam and Eric both confirming, and I'm still getting called a liar over it by a few people (one of which I presume is a member of this board.)

Really hoping video footage comes out from the panel soon, or that the big man hinself comes through to double confirm.

Reactions: Frontier

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Jul 24, 2007
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
I don't really worry about continuity, but the way I see it is:

It takes place a few years after 'Destroyer' with the core League now scattered on different missions, visiting/re-teaming occasionally. Other Green Lanterns have popped up and have been explained over the years.

I also have it taking place just before the flashback scene in Return of the Joker, thanks to this ''new look'' Arkham.

Alph

Jul 15, 2002
umm...meatloaf
Man, this is making me want to go rewatch the entire DCAU with Justice League vs. The Fatal Five added in.

It's just really awesome that we finally got a movie from this era/style. We had Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero in the BTAS style, Mystery of the Batwoman in the TNBA/STAS style, and Return of the Joker in the BB style, but nothing in the JL/JLU style, until now. Feels like a hole has been filled.

#TeamMike

Nov 24, 2018
New York
So I just watched the film. It's good! Probably my favorite DC animated film since.... Flashpoint Paradox? As someone who's been somewhat negative on the DC DTV's as of late, this was a breath of fresh air. Hats off to the creative team.

Pros

-I really liked the new characters, especially Jessica Cruz and Miss Martian
-A story with a good emotional center
-the music
-Some fun easter eggs

Nitpicks (I don't have any big complaints, so I'll resort to nitpicking :D).

-This might sound weird... but some of the PG-13 language was a little jarring. It's hard to associate that kind of language with the similar JLU art style which was always aimed at kids and people for all ages.
-I loved the Two Face appearance, but I wish the creative team had made the effort to get back some of the old VA's, aside from the trinity. Richard Moll is the definitive voice of Two-Face for me, and even hearing him say a few lines again would have been awesome. Having said that, Bruce Timm did a pretty good Two Face voice :p

As for continuity.... I see this film as a spiritual successor to the old JL show, but I don't think they wanted to stick much to the old continuity. Beyond some motifs, and a similar artstyle, it's quite divorced. There are two major aspects that directly contradict established DCAU continuity.

-Supergirl not being mentioned at all in this film, even though this is about the Legion of Superheroes. There is no reasonable explanation for why Superman wouldn't go up to Brainiac 5 or any other of the legionnaires and ask about his cousin who he never said goodbye too. Not even a simple "Hey, how's my cousin" or "where is she."

-Miss Martian being in the film without any explanation makes zero sense in regards to the old show. It's been stated over and over again that J'onn was the last of his kind, and it's a huge aspect to his character.

Of course some fans will do mental gymnastics and try to make it fit no matter what, but that's the beauty of opinions. Sam Liu used the words "JL adjacent" when asked in one of his interviews, so I'll stick with that for now.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

Nov 11, 2006
USA
The only things that stood out to me as being odd when I watched this film last night were Kilowog's redesign (he looked different in JL) and the Watchtower being on Earth (or was that the Metro Tower?) - those were quite strange. Overall though, I thought this was a fun ride and I'm looking forward to watching it again! I didn't feel that the 87 minute runtime was too long! :)

#TeamMike

Nov 24, 2018
New York
The only things that stood out to me as being odd when I watched this film last night were Kilowog's redesign (he looked different in JL) and the Watchtower being on Earth (or was that the Metro Tower?) - those were quite strange. Overall though, I thought this was a fun ride and I'm looking forward to watching it again! I didn't feel that the 87 minute runtime was too long! :)
There's a watchtower and a metro tower.

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
The only things that stood out to me as being odd when I watched this film last night were Kilowog's redesign (he looked different in JL) and the Watchtower being on Earth (or was that the Metro Tower?)
It was the Metro Tower, but they kept calling it the Watchtower. I think that's what they called it on Beyond too if I remember correctly.

According to the commentary, Kilowog's design was a GLTAS reference. They had Kevin Michael Richardson in for Mr. Terrefic and figures it would be fun to have him reprise the role from that series

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The Teen Titans Go vs. Teen Titans trailer didn’t show Bumblebee, making me think either her stay on the Titans is temporary or i’m overthinking everything.
I wonder what Eddie Fitzgerald's up to...
Finally going to get to watch Shazam today! Can't wait :).

I found this interesting tweet thread from Jenny Calabro that definitely speaks volumes.