"Justice League vs. The Fatal Five" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

#TeamMike

I don't understand why they won't just make movies that are explicitly set in the DCAU. To the average random viewer, the minor continuity details would make no difference one way or the other, and yet to DCAU fans it would make a world of difference.
By making movies standalone they don't have to worry about adhering to continuity from a series that finished 13 years ago and just focus on making a good product.

Alph

By making movies standalone they don't have to worry about adhering to continuity from a series that finished 13 years ago and just focus on making a good product.
Okay, but like, if they are going to go through the trouble of making it 99% match the DCAU, why not just go the extra 1%? I'm not asking about the ones that are completely different from the DCAU.

This new movie looks straight up like it could have released as a JLU movie in 2006. Making it this faithful to the style and tone of the DCAU, and getting all the VAs back, that's already a huge bulk of the work of fitting it into the old continuity. All they need to do at this point is, like, make sure they don't contradict the fact that Supergirl went into the future. How can adhering to a few continuity details be a huge problem after going through so much effort to make this feel DCAU? If freakin' Scooby Doo can get a movie that adheres to the continuity of that old 13 Ghosts cartoon, I see no reason why DC can't go the extra inch with this movie.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
To be fair, they got 3 VAs back so far as we know currently.

Batman: Kevin Conroy
Superman: George Newbern
Wonder Woman: Susan Eisenberg

Mr. Terrific: Kevin Michael Richardson replaces Michael Beach
Emerald Empress: Sumalee Montano replaces Joanne Whaller
Tharok: Peter Jessop replaces Tomas Arana
Persuader: Matthew Yang King replaced Kin Shriner
Brainiac 5: Noel Fisher replaces Matt Czuchry
Saturn Girl: Tara Strong replaces Melissa Joan Hart

As for Bloodsport, yeah, seems possible the Alex Trent one will show up. Interesting since the Du Bois version appeared on JLU.

SweetShop209

If freakin' Scooby Doo can get a movie that adheres to the continuity of that old 13 Ghosts cartoon, I see no reason why DC can't go the extra inch with this movie.
The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo ran for only 13 episodes, so the movie has an easier chance of adhering to continuity since that show is its own continuity. Likewise , when Scooby Doo had the crossover movie with Batman The Brave And The Bold, it was with a show that ran for only 3 years, and was clearly its own continuity. Even with the Adam West Batman movies, it was for a show that was relatively self contained. Justice League /Justice League Unlimited is a much trickier scenario. If the show was its own continuity, then making a movie that picks up from it would not be a problem. However, it also picks up plot points from the other DCAU shows, a franchise that ran for 14 years. If it were to get a movie, people would be less inclined to look at it as its own thing and more on how it fits into continuity.

Dallas Kinard

Does anyone else find it weird that Tom Kenny's Bloodsport still hasn't been seen in either videos yet? I assume he'll just be a bit player in some intro fight or something. If I recall correctly, the character was a white supremacist in the comics so im thinking maybe he'll be used to introduce Jessica Cruz.
I mean it depends on what version. The Robert DuBois already appeared in JLU, so I assume it'll be him and since he's African American, highly doubtful he'll be a white supremacist lol.

Troy Troodon

I mean it depends on what version. The Robert DuBois already appeared in JLU, so I assume it'll be him and since he's African American, highly doubtful he'll be a white supremacist lol.
That depends if it's the same continuity. The other Bloodspot was the 2nd to (Ironically) dawn Robert's mantle so it could be like sometime after the events of JLU. (Again assuming it's the same continuity)

iammattie

That depends if it's the same continuity. The other Bloodspot was the 2nd to (Ironically) dawn Robert's mantle so it could be like sometime after the events of JLU. (Again assuming it's the same continuity)
Not only that, but the DCAU has also had multiple different versions of the "same" character (Batman/Robin), I cant imagine the fact that theyve used one bloodsport will dissuade them from using another whether it's in continuity or not. I also cant see Tom Kenny playing a burly black guy. Sure, hes a versatile actor, but I imagine if that's the version of the character they were moving forward with theyd cast within the same race to avoid backlash.

#TeamMike

I always like how Susan Eisenberg is appreciative of her fans, and her enthusiasm for the character.

Also, as I suspected, it seems like this will be another DCAU adjacent film. Personal interpretation and what not.

Edit: Yojimbo's already got me beat.

Last edited:

iammattie

Sam Liu commented on if it's canon or not: it's open ended. >_<
Creative teams dont care about getting bogged down in continuity, they just wanna make fun stories and let the fans enjoy them through the lens of the old shows. I can respect that. Keeping up with all all the continuity is difficult as is and I think theyd rather field the "is it?" questions that they can be vague about rather than the "okay, but then why this continuity error???" questions because they didn't watch season 3 episode 2 of Superman.

As for Gary, with Batman and Harley Quinn he deflected the question to B.T. at SDCC who answered pretty favorably towards it. I'd imagine he'll do the same here if this film gets a con panel, sure he's WB press, but at the end of the day he didnt make the movie and it makes sense for him to defer to the decisions of the creative team.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Couldn't quite put my finger on something in the trailer until now. The Green Lantern Central Power Battery, seen at the 1:07 mark in the trailer. It's the design from the Green Lantern: First Flight and Emerald Knight movies. Pretty funny someone remembered that design to use in this one.

iammattie

Couldn't quite put my finger on something in the trailer until now. The Green Lantern Central Power Battery, seen at the 1:07 mark in the trailer. It's the design from the Green Lantern: First Flight and Emerald Knight movies. Pretty funny someone remembered that design to use in this one.
Yeah, someone pointed this out on the Watchtower Database discord server really quickly after the trailer came out. Metro Tower fron JLU is in there as well

Also, looks like we're getting more info at some point today according to Gary. Winder what it'll be since we literally just got the trailer. Maybe a tie-in comic?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, someone pointed this out on the Watchtower Database discord server really quickly after the trailer came out. Metro Tower fron JLU is in there as well
A what server? Get off my lawn. :p

Also, looks like we're getting more info at some point today according to Gary. Winder what it'll be since we literally just got the trailer. Maybe a tie-in comic?
If I remember correctly around this time last year for Hell to Pay, it was the trailer then the press release about the release details (like special features). Comic maybe, but for Hell to Pay they announced it at the last minute in mid-March and there wasn't one for Reign. Personally, I hope there's no comic since DC doesn't bother to consult with the creative crew.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Oh, the irony - while foreign feeds of Cartoon Network ban just about anything, CN USA started to show Shrek completely uncut - with the "offensive" words intact - in 2017! Around the time when Cartoon Network feeds worldwide were already ruled by the nanny state!
Don't ever force yourself into liking a show or any other form of media and don't be afraid to speak up about how you honestly feel about it.
NeoplanDan wrote on Zedd's profile.
Hi, Zedd, I wanted to to fix up the date on my birthday, when I was first registered here, it incorrectly date as 1/21/1995 when it actually 2/21/1995, originally I was going to ask one of the admins to fix it so that it’s on the correct date.
I'm the best anime character. You will all bow down to me.
Well, THAT was a flop...Adventure Time will leave Adult Swim after two weeks...