• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

"Justice League vs. The Fatal Five" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly? I don't want any potential JLU reunion movie within five feet of these hard PG-13 / R movies. That ways lies Batman and Harley Quinn. I want whatever JL reunion we someday get to be consistent in tone with the show I loved in the first place. Part of why I loved JLU was because it was kid-friendly and fun. If they use the DC Universe movie label for a reunion, it probably won't be.

Put it under the DC Classics banner like Return Of The Caped Crusaders was. That had the potential to be an amazing banner, and they dropped it after two movies, and didn't even label the second one with it.

I don't want JLU back with blood and swearing. That's not the reason I loved the show. I loved the show because it DIDN'T have that.
I mean, if they aim for something like Crisis on Two Earths and Justice League: Doom, I think it should be fine since those were both pretty in-line with the original tone of JLU and the DCAU as a whole.

Granted, I think a lot of that had to do with the late great Dwayne McDuffie being the screenwriter for both films (and CoTE was a repurposed script to begin with), but it still indicates that it's feasible with the right writing and awareness of what the movie is trying to be.

Like with a lot of Timm's stuff as of late the quality is probably going to be very dependent on his collaborators and who's handling the writing.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I mean, if they aim for something like Crisis on Two Earths and Justice League: Doom, I think it should be fine since those were both pretty in-line with the original tone of JLU and the DCAU as a whole.

Granted, I think a lot of that had to do with the late great Dwayne McDuffie being the screenwriter for both films (and CoTE was a repurposed script to begin with), but it still indicates that it's feasible with the right writing and awareness of what the movie is trying to be.

Like with a lot of Timm's stuff as of late the quality is probably going to be very dependent on his collaborators and who's handling the writing.
Compared to JLU, I greatly disliked both of those movies. I felt like I wanted World's Collide, and somehow by McDuffie only changing 10% of the story, it was everything I didn't want it to be. I want JLU to be JLU, not some bastardized adult oriented thing like they did with Batman and Harley Quinn.

Edit:

Upon further reflection I have decided to delete the specific part of my post that might have offended other people. My apologies.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's fine to speculate but let's go too off-topic and let's not jump onto a podium and go on a tirade. I'm not allowing it. Don't go any further, Fone. Nobody even reply to Fone. That's final.

Didn't Timm and Co. say a potential season 5 for JLU would have involved time travel? Perhaps they've condensed their ideas and made it into a DTV.
Yes, one brief idea they talked about involved the JLU going on a 12 episode journey through time. But I wonder if they wanted to revisit LoSH after using them for the Supergirl sendoff episode... but I digress.

brodie999

It's fine to speculate but let's go too off-topic and let's not jump onto a podium and go on a tirade. I'm not allowing it. Don't go any further, Fone. Nobody even reply to Fone. That's final.

Yes, one brief idea they talked about involved the JLU going on a 12 episode journey through time. But I wonder if they wanted to revisit LoSH after using them for the Supergirl sendoff episode... but I digress.
Agreed. James Tucker also talked about a potential fourth season of the League going on a some kind of galaxy quest. I wonder if JLU ever gets revived, it might finally come to light.

Frontier

Staff member
I would really love it if the story in this sees the return of Nicholle Tom as Supergirl :).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
But -- ! BUT-- !!

.....sigh.
Fine.
Jeez, is THAT what it takes to get your attention? That's a pretty far place I have to go to get you to unlurk. :D

Say, b.t., how did you like the last episode of the Twin Peaks relaunch? I'm betting you actually liked it. Grr.

Upon further reflection and a PM back and forth with Yojimbo, I have deleted the part of my post that could be considered inflammatory. I tend to have a rule about generalizations that if my demographic overlaps with an unkind one, and the generalization doesn't apply to me personally, I don't get offended because I assume the person who made the generalization wasn't referring to me. But I am one of the few people on Earth who actually sees generalizations that specific way so I need to buy myself a freaking filter. Toon Zone will be better for it.

For the record it is a point in Yojimbo's favor that he let the controversial part of my post stand instead of editing it out himself. And it's because Yojimbo is so fair and cool about things like that which is why I'm going to save him a little grief.

Frontier

Staff member
Perhaps the greater mystery of who's making this movie is who here guessed b.t. remembered his password? Or did he rummage through a drawer today and find it written down on a piece of paper? Taking bets. :p
This makes me wonder how much of the WB/DC crew still randomly peruse these forums and read what we say about their work :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Looking at the JLU design again, I think only Persuader's is really different from this still.

This makes me wonder how much of the WB/DC crew still randomly peruse these forums and read what we say about their work :p.
They all are. :eek:

Frontier

Staff member
Looking at the JLU design again, I think only Persuader's is really different from this still.
Tharok and Validus look pretty much the same, though Mano's costume has a completely different color scheme, and Emerald Empress now has pants :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
I don't think there's really much you could change about Validus' look to make him different for each show/movie. The rest are probably easier to adapt though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm. I think on the Legion of Superheroes series, only Persuader had a drastically different design.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Tharok's human side looked different (and had hair) :p.
I meant, in JLU Persauder looked like Tin Man but on LoSH he looked like an orc. Whereas Tharok always is gonna look half-human or Emerald Empress will always have that green hair witch look.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Why can't Cartoon Network air shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa and Clarence instead of Toddler Tightwads No!?

I like her response as to why she chooses Grover.
If you're a writer and a showrunner of a stale show for almost two decades and you disregard an episode you already wrote back in the 90s because of some controversial documentary, I cannot take you seriously anymore.
Asa
Was it ever confirmed that CN will host their 2019-2020 upfront this year?
I would love to see a Loud House spinoff comic starring the Loud Family as Ace Savvy and The Full House Gang. Heck, might as well give all the other Loud House characters card-themed superhero/supervillain identities.