"Justice League vs. Teen Titans" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucho

'Ja think I'm a cowboy?
I have the hope of seeing a flashback to the original Titans ... Dick/Robin, Wonder Girl/Donna Troy, Aqualad/Garth, Kid Flash/Wally West, and Roy/Speedy!

and a statue! :D
I have no hope of seeing that. Even as a nod.
Is the fab five even acknowledged as having happened in any continuity comic or animated.

Even as a statue, they didn't seem like the having a statue/monument type.

RoryWilliams

I have no hope of seeing that. Even as a nod.
Is the fab five even acknowledged as having happened in any continuity comic or animated.

Even as a statue, they didn't seem like the having a statue/monument type.

In the pre-reboot continuity Titans Tower had a statue of the five founders, but to my knowledge, no, there's never been any media adaptation with the Fab Five.

Outside of that one Filmation short of course.

5007053-2527994507-latest.jpg

Frontier

Staff member
The closest to an acknowledgement of the Fab Five in any other continuity that I can remember is in the tie-in comic for the original Teen Titans cartoon, which had Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy, Aqualad, and Wonder Girl teaming up for an issue. Something that never could've happened in the cartoon because Donna was off-limits, which is why she only had a cameo in season 5.

Though if we get more Teen Titans movies in this continuity, and see Kid Flash, Aqualad, and Wonder Girl introduced eventually, who's to say the creators won't come up with a way to feature the Fab Five together somehow ;)?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
In the pre-reboot continuity Titans Tower had a statue of the five founders, but to my knowledge, no, there's never been any media adaptation with the Fab Five.

Outside of that one Filmation short of course.

5007053-2527994507-latest.jpg

There were actually three Filmation shorts with the Teen Titans, but even there the line-up was incomplete since Robin was missing.

Which kind of makes the Fab Five's only appearance in a cartoon together that short cameo towards the end of Justice League: The New Frontier, though they were paired with Black Canary and Supergirl.

ShadowStar

Which kind of makes the Fab Five's only appearance in a cartoon together that short cameo towards the end of Justice League: The New Frontier, though they were paired with Black Canary and Supergirl.

I still don't understand why they're the 'Fab Five' when Speedy wasn't there to begin with (as far as I know). I thought it started with Robin, Aqualad and Kid Flash having an adventure together, then becoming the Teen Titans with Wonder Girl. Speedy joined when Aqualad left, I believe. I suppose Roy is kind of expendable anyway since he represents Green Arrow, who isn't really a core Justice Leaguer - unlike Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and arguably Aquaman.

Otaku-sempai

I still don't understand why they're the 'Fab Five' when Speedy wasn't there to begin with (as far as I know). I thought it started with Robin, Aqualad and Kid Flash having an adventure together, then becoming the Teen Titans with Wonder Girl. Speedy joined when Aqualad left, I believe. I suppose Roy is kind of expendable anyway since he represents Green Arrow, who isn't really a core Justice Leaguer - unlike Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and arguably Aquaman.
If I remember right, Kid Flash was retconned into being one of the founding members of the group in a 'flashback' adventure.

RoryWilliams

The Fab Five have the same problem the founding five X-Men have. There isn't much interest to put them in stuff because the franchise didn't take off in a huge way until they added a bunch of new characters.

juan1193

The Fab Five have the same problem the founding five X-Men have. There isn't much interest to put them in stuff because the franchise didn't take off in a huge way until they added a bunch of new characters.
That is correct! The franchise didn't take off until the likes of Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy, and Starfire were added and Robin became Nightwing. Sort of like with the X-Men, when they added characters like Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Nightcrawler...etc.

I think they went with an excellent line-up!! You have the characters most associated with the Titans plus characters that DC is trying to push, who have garnered larger fan bases because of outside media appearances (Jaime and Damien). If I were to have a dream Titans line-up it would be Robin, Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, Static, Blue Beetle and Terra.

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.

If I remember right, Kid Flash was retconned into being one of the founding members of the group in a 'flashback' adventure.

Actually it was SPEEDY that was retconned as one of the group's founding members. But he had a presence in the title as far back as issue #4 of the original series:

801717.jpg

And he officially joined the team in issue #19:

latest?cb=20090111231244.jpg

Toddman

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Well, I finally got around to watching the Sneak Peek. It looks promising, but I have to remind myself not to get my hopes up too high. The biggest thorn in the side of these movies is the relatively short run time (~75 minutes or fewer), and that issue gets most pronounced whenever the plot is too wide in scope, or more likely, there are too many characters to spread out the screen time thinly. You add a team of heroes (five, maybe greater), and now we're back to wondering how does one showcase all of the characters evenly, but deeply, in a relatively short amount of time? The answer, thus far, has been a resounding "You can't."

Now, with that out of the way, I think there are still a lot of good things you can do, even if it's less than ideal, and this should be a good way to expand the DTV DCU universe. I'd still prefer something that focused more on the established JL, but Young Justice surprisingly became my favorite DC animated series of all time, so who knows what will happen here.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, I finally got around to watching the Sneak Peek. It looks promising, but I have to remind myself not to get my hopes up too high. The biggest thorn in the side of these movies is the relatively short run time (~75 minutes or fewer), and that issue gets most pronounced whenever the plot is too wide in scope, or more likely, there are too many characters to spread out the screen time thinly. You add a team of heroes (five, maybe greater), and now we're back to wondering how does one showcase all of the characters evenly, but deeply, in a relatively short amount of time? The answer, thus far, has been a resounding "You can't."
I think it probably helps that, going off the casting announcement, most of the League are going to either not be in it or relegated to non-speaking roles, which opens up more time to spend developing the Titans compared to how Thrones of Atlantis had to juggle Aquaman's origin with the League still developing as a group :confused:.

Which, I guess if you want more Justice League in a Justice League movie, is disappointing, though with this being an ongoing series of movies there's always the chance that the next movie can go back to focusing more on the League or other members :).

Troy Troodon

Ok, so now I had the chance to like at the sneak peak... and I was cringing all the way through!

All this praise on how "Interesting, unique, and adult" this project really is, is just a side job. This project is not only offensive to me as a Titans fan, but to the Titans mythology itself!
Based on the New52, Damian Wayne still being an egghead, the Justice League still being eggheads, the list goes on.

If they wanted to make a movie based on, The Titans, then make one based on The Titans, not this... this badly planned fan fiction that even a 7 year old can think better!

Sorry, no I'm really sorry for my outburst, but The Titans has been one of the major influences on the DC Superhero mythology, so this attempt at having them in the same continuity with the New52 (The Movie New52 anyway) with Damian Wayne as Robin, and with none of the long and rich history of the team canon because of this continuity, absolutely stings!

RoryWilliams

Any sort of adaptation is going to come off as "fan fiction" since by definition, they're not gonna be able to 100 percent accurately reflect 50 years of comic continuity. That's a bit of a stretch to say that taking liberties with the canon makes it an insult to the franchise.

Frontier

Staff member
And can we please stop comparing this continuity to the New 52? With the initial few movies, I can understand the comparison, but this whole movie is pretty definitively something non-New 52 given the cast and the story. I think at this point the universe has really kinda developed into its own thing rather then just a blatant mimic of the New 52.

Here's the sneak peak:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts