Justice League Unlimited "Panic in the Sky" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Post Your Thoughts on "Panic in the Sky"

• Total voters

Bit Cloud

Mar 28, 2005
I wonder if the explanation on Brainiacs appearance will get tied in with the Static Shock episode.

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
Jul 4, 2001
Austin, TX, USA
www.firstgov.gov
Wow! An amazing episode! It was everything I was hoping it would be, and then some. :p The only question I have is, who saved Batman from falling out of LexCorp's headquarters skyscraper? My brother walked by the TV, so all I saw was a mysterious hand stopping Batman from falling. (?)

Anyway, this episode is an example of the DCAU at its best.

Archangel2385 said:
They stole my idea. In a fanfic I had planned, I had Brainaic returning to Earth to get AMAZO's blueprints; after all, if there was ever an "idol" that Brainaic should have, it would be AMAZO. Oh well, I tip my hat to Bruce Timm. & Co., for you have executed a version of my story very well ;) .
Hey, I post my episode ideas here hoping that Bruce Timm & Co. "steal" my ideas! :D (I'm still hoping for a two-parter where Hades & Ares team up and try to start World War III... :cool: )

Human Shield said:
So an Amazo bot takes weeks to build? So the Earth could crank out the most powerful weapon in the universe every few weeks. Earth could conquer every race in the universe, slap up the green lanterns and the New Gods. The Hawk people should have just asked for an Amazo bot and the war would be over. Amazo is the biggest loophole in the DCAU in my opinion, the one Amazo needs to be a huge fluke that can't be repeated.
I don't think AMAZO can be built easily by regular humans. It was implied in "Tabula Rasa" I believe that Dr. Ivo had spent much of his professional life working on AMAZO. Now, an intergalactic threat like Brainiac, however... I can see Brainiac building an AMAZO in a few weeks. ;)

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
Oct 14, 2001
Happy Harbor
Visit site
That was awe flippin' some! Perhaps the best episode yet! Crammed with so many heroes! And that part at the end with Luthor/Brainiac or whatever in god's name that thing was, that was weird!! This episode rocks!! "The Adventures Of Superman" episode that was titled "Panic In The Sky" was a pretty good episode too. Not that it had anything to do with this. Anyway, this episode rocked. Steel was awesome...both of them. (I mean both Steels) So Steel said there is about 60 other League members but in this thread it says 50. So how many is it? I tried to count once but it got to exausting. Anywho, can't wait for next weeks' episode. Dwayne McDuffie, you rock! You always have! Write more episodes! Bring in some Milestone heroes while you're at it...if you want to anyway.

warmachine04

No Evil Shall Escape My Sight
Nov 29, 2001
Santo Domingo, DR
Visit site
"Panic in the Sky" is a pure 100% superhero slugfest. The previous episodes have been building to a most exciting finale that will have fans jumping out of their seats. The battle between the League and the Ultimen was truly stunning. The story is somewhat uneven but has some great moments and good dialogue. The animation is top-notch. Can't wait for next week.

PS. It was quite smart not to leave any spoilers of the upcoming episode to keep viewers hooked on this season's finale.:D :D

Jan 30, 2005
Where?
Dens Maris said:
-- Red Tornado returning to beat three Wind Dragons in a contest of powers.
I do find it ammusing that T.O. Morrow can make better artificial soldiers than the entire United States Government. You'd think with our hundreds of hightly paid scientists and engineers we'd be able to show up one single super villain.

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
Jul 4, 2001
Austin, TX, USA
www.firstgov.gov
GMahler said:
If they read your ideas, they can't use them. So, if they do end up doing that story, it'll be because they thought it up themselves.
:eek:
That wasn't my idea! I actually read that in an interview somewhere on ToonZone... with who? ...I don't remember. But I'm pretty sure I did!

Pyro

Sep 15, 2002
Around...
Visit site
Temple Fugate said:
"Ta-da!" Okay, ignoring the bogus ending for now...

The episode was about as great as last week's. Superman made the right decision to turn the League in, unfortunately that angle didn't get any attention because we were too busy watching the Ultimen get the biggest beating we've seen since...well, not too long ago when Superman fought Captain Marvel. That massive battle was simply spectacular, and almost worth the buildup. Almost. What really paid off was the Supergirl vs Galatea fight, which ended in an eerie twist as Supergirl zapped and possibly killed Galatea (dead bodies can twitch, mind you). Either way you look at it, she's toast for a long time.

Batman shared another nice scene with Waller, which was a proper throwback to "Doomsday Sanction." Waller's discovery of Lex's deeds prompted a believable turn of face.

VERY good point.

HOWEVER. The ending. Okay, before I get to that, other things about this episode that might get ignored because everyone is so distracted by Brainthor/Luthiac. (I prefer Brainthor. It's cornier.) As I mentioned earlier, the League turning themselves into US custody was a strong plot point, and the scene where the general refuses to cuff the League was great. But after that...there was nothing. The fight scene at the 'Tower took too much away from this point. "Well, Temple Fugate, what do you suggest we have seen? The League sitting in the jail cell?" Yes! Perhaps they could have been told about the Watchtower, but Superman tells them all to stay calm and not try and break out of the prison to save their friends. I can definitely see Superman saying "No...they can handle it on their own." It could mirror Steel's admiration speech. Maybe Waller could have even shown up in person to get them out. Of course, we wouldn't be surprised to see them appear in Lexcorp. But then, how many surprises can one take before we just stop believing what we see?

Which brings me, at last, to the ending. Surprise after surprise after surprise. 1)Luthor: I'm building AMAZO LEX! 2)Waller says "I DON'T THINK SO!" 3)Oh, snap! She busted out the Big Seven! 4)Oh, super-snap! HE'S BRAINTHOR! All of these sudden occurences in such a short amount of time caused a little bit of resistance from me. I think the Brainthor thing could have been swallowed easier if it was the ONLY surprise in that scene. If the flow of the episode had been more "Okay, Waller got them out of jail. Oh boy, they're gonna get Lex! This is gonna be killer!" and built up more anticipation, perhaps the surprise wouldn't have seemed as out-of-left-field as it was.

But then again, I'm not qualified to be on the writing staff for a major animated series, so perhaps I'm just speaking out of my butt. :sweat: Anyway, still a good episode. It's always good to see a Leaguer I've never heard of get some dialogue.

Justice League Unlimited 2x11: "Panic in the Sky" (Part 3 of 4) - ****

BRAINTHOR FOR PRESIDENT
to be continued...
Good post! I see your point. It would have been nice to have those scenes with the League, but you can only get so much into a 22 min show. A scene like that would have added more to their characters, but then something that was in this episode would have to have been cut out and I certainly enjoyed it the way it was. However, perhaps if the whole of JLU could be released on a DVD set, and if it showed this 5 parter as a movie, they could make an extended edition and add more scenes like that. I'd certainly buy it! Hehe, that's wishful thinking though.

Some things I forgot to mention in my other post: Yeah, that was hilarious when the JLU members cheered when the lights came back on, and then they went off again. And Flash's lines were funny too. I also thought it was kind of funny when Supergirl picked up poor little battle-damaged Atom. He was so small! I thought the scene with the missiles attacking the Watchtower was very effective, and then when Ultimen started popping out of them, wow. They sure crammed a lot into this episode. And the dialouge was top-notch!

Also, I think the direction the Brainthor (*snicker*) plot is going is so brilliant! It seemed that Luthor's big plan was to make himself into an Amazo, which would have been a great continuation of the events in "The Return." But then Brainiac popped out of him and said something about using it as his own body... honestly can't wait to see how it all ends up.

Mister Intensity, your comment that it was a filler episode seemed somewhat flippant. Whether or not you thought it was filler doesn't mean that you couldn't still enjoy the episode. Since you didn't elaborate on your statement, I don't understand what your point was. When you say it was "filler" do you grasp that it was part of a 4-part story arc? If so, it certainly 'filled' it's part making your statment quite obvious. However, it seems that you intended your use of "filler" to have a slightly more negative connotation.

SirLemming

a playa in a world of NPCs
Feb 24, 2002
Franklin Square, NY
sirlemming.blogspot.com
Squall said:
Wow! An amazing episode! It was everything I was hoping it would be, and then some. :p The only question I have is, who saved Batman from falling out of LexCorp's headquarters skyscraper? My brother walked by the TV, so all I saw was a mysterious hand stopping Batman from falling. (?)
That was it for that scene, but I assume it was one of the many flying founding members of the JLU, probably Wonder Woman judging by the way the hand/arm looked. Remember how at the end they all flew in via the same window Batman was thrown out of?

Master Moron

Aug 5, 2002
Midwest
That was the greatest fight scene on Justice League Unlimited ever. I absolutely loved seeing the Justice League beat the crap out of the Superfriends. The superfriends just kept on coming and coming, but they didn't stand a chance against the Justice League. It was so awesome. This was the first Justice League episode that I gave 5 stars to, it was perfect.

Supergirl's shirt sure is stretchy. You'd figure when her clone grapped her shirt that it would lift up some, but it must be made of some type of special material that adheres to her skin or something, cause man, that shirt stretched.

I too thought Steel should have died. How the hell did he survive that?

One question, when Batman confronted Waller, she was using a remote that Batman couldn't see. What was she doing?

Dens Maris

Humble Supporting Character
Apr 7, 2004
United States
Turning off the screen- I thought she was getting some gatling gun ready to take out Bats, myself, but apparently it was more honest a gesture than it looked. Another throw-off. :sweat:

Supergirl's shirt seems to share the same Stretch Armstrong qualities as Superman's- I remember in "The Secret Society" when Parasite was leeching off Superman, he had a blanket-sized lump of Supes' shirt in his hands and his uniform was still in one perfect piece. Chock it up to Supercloth.

SirLemming

a playa in a world of NPCs
Feb 24, 2002
Franklin Square, NY
sirlemming.blogspot.com
Master Moron said:
Supergirl's shirt sure is stretchy. You'd figure when her clone grapped her shirt that it would lift up some, but it must be made of some type of special material that adheres to her skin or something, cause man, that shirt stretched.
Yeah. I think all us guys noticed that, and were dismayed.

Master Moron

Aug 5, 2002
Midwest
By the way, I found it interesting how they cut away from the regular human watchtower workers as they charged towards the Superfriends, I wonder if they were killed? They must have been underpowered. Though, I suppose it's possible that a super powered leaguer was able to come by and save them.

Pretentious

Two-fisted action!
Jan 12, 2005
Florida
I can never get tired of that battle scene. It always reminds me of something out of Dynasty Warriors which is just awesome.

Jordo

May 21, 2005
NY
www.jordancooperlalala.com
wow... I'm not sure what else to say... But like many of you I'm very confused if that's Braniac inside the actual body of Lex Luthor or ... If Lex Luthor is being held somewhere... or .. .??? Was that Lex Luthor in Clash? Or was it Braniac? Confused... but excited.

I have to rewatch it cause there's so much going on in the fight scenes. I was really happy to see Creeper again. And Batman never fails...anytime he's on screen it's great. His character is like the best and strongest and most solidified its ever been.

While I was loving Superman being a crazy jerk, it was a nice relief to see him hold himself back a bit and try to be more... friendly. It felt kind of good. It was also great seeing all 7 founding members...That speech Steel gave about them was also interesting.

I was a bit peeved when Flash said "a lot of minor injuries and no casualties"... Erggh... I really think there would be casualties in something so devastating. Or at the least MAJOR INJURIES. Cmon, MINOR injuries?? In my mind a lot of people died, while others lost limbs. It just raises the stakes so much better.

Anyway this is like the most exciting 5 weeks of TV ever. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to next week and especially to epilogue. My goodness.

-Jordan

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Aug 25, 2002
somewhere
SirLemming said:
Yeah. I think all us guys noticed that, and were dismayed.
Well, it was expected. I thought the shirt was going to get lifted up, but it didn't. Maybe if this was made for Adult Swim or HBO....:D

creativerealms

Jul 14, 2004
I know what your thinking how could I have given this episode a 3.5/5? Well the answer is simple and complex at the same time.

The Cadmus plot has failed big time, ok I loved it until Brainiac/Luthor turned out to be the final villain of this arc. They could have done much better then this.

This is why I don’t hate the Bat-embargo as much as you guys. I mean they had to come up with this ridiculous plot twist to make a superman villain suitable for the league; I don’t even want to know what they would do to make batman’s rouges a threat. Luthor was great as part of Cadmus but not as the main villain of the plot arc, they really did not have to turn him into Brainiac to do it. I mean rather then having villains that would be a treat for the league we are having superman villains turned into threats. Makes me glad Batman’s villains won’t go though this. Still I want other villains to have the spot light too.

Still outside the ridiculous and forced ending this episode was great, but I still had to take away a point and a half for such a let down.

Oh I have came up with a little brainiac theory, Luthor never had cancer. That was but the initial stages of brainacs take over posing as cancer, which could explain why it was forgotten later on.

Joker1238

Feb 25, 2005
Kansas
yeah Supergirl's shirt did stretch a lot. But it was wild hopeing I guess lol.

Great show, I like the Flash's Joke of the Joker. But it did make me think of one thing though.

Is the GOOD Longshadow dead??? I was looking for him in the fight, but it was hard to find him. Supergirl rock in her fight vs powergirl. And of couse Bats used his brains and wits. And Lex at the end was a shock for me.

Dens Maris

Humble Supporting Character
Apr 7, 2004
United States
I think the implication is that good Longshadow and the original Ultimen died sometime after Ultimatum. And as sad as it is, I'm actually fine with that. The last we saw of them was Longshadow's tired but joyful smile at being allowed to join the heroes he had always admired, and I think that was the perfect note for them to go out on.