Justice League Unlimited "Panic in the Sky" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Post Your Thoughts on "Panic in the Sky"

• Total voters

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
Dec 29, 2003
Lots of places
Visit site
Thanks, TBalena, for the info on Stripe. I don't buy many comic books anymore but it sounds like this one is worth hunting down for a read.

Red Tornado, that's the guy that creates the tornados in the fight, right? Yeah, okay, I guess he did have a robotic looking expression. I originally thought maybe he just had a good poker-face or something. So much action in this episode, I could re-watch it a dozen times and not see everything.

Now if someone would just give up the goods on how to post screen-captures. I know how to capture, of course (my avatar is from the VHS release), I just can't seem to get it to post in here. If I ever figure it out, I'll try not to go nuts with it, honest!

Knight said:
I dont think Eling knows anything either. Waller's knowledge is probably very secret and exclusive and known only by her and possibly a few other government officials.
Nah, I don't think anybody else knows at all except maybe that Dr. Strange nut. I think Waller has kept this one for herself. She seems smart enough to have gathered intelligence from multiple sources so that nobody else could put it all together. Just like how she went in against Luthor "alone". She couldn't risk anyone else from Cadmus hearing anything that Luthor might say to incriminate her while at the same time, being clever enough to bring back-up that already knew her dirty laundry but couldn't (or wouldn't, in Batman's case) air it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
Jun 6, 2001
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
TBalena said:
This is completely from out of left field, but I want to ask everyone's opinion on something....

...So who do you guys think it was? I think Phil LaMarr, Michael Rosenbaum, and Chris Cox are the only likely candidates, since they're the most versatile; anyone else, like Conroy or Newburn, and we'd recognize them immediately.
Well, Chris (Capt. Atom) Cox didn't have a speaking part in this episode, but Corey Burton did, as Brainiac. He's shown in the past that he has terrific range (voicing Weather Wizard, Toyman and Metallo in "Hereafter", not to mention STAS, Transformers, etc. over the past 20 years) so I'd guess it was him providing the voice of S.T.R.I.P.E./Pat Dugan.

Toddman

Trevor Balena

Aug 6, 2002
Toronto
www.dccommentaries.com
Toddman said:
Well, Chris (Capt. Atom) Cox didn't have a speaking part in this episode, but Corey Burton did, as Brainiac. He's shown in the past that he has terrific range (voicing Weather Wizard, Toyman and Metallo in "Hereafter", not to mention STAS, Transformers, etc. over the past 20 years) so I'd guess it was him providing the voice of S.T.R.I.P.E./Pat Dugan.

Toddman
Of course! Cox wasn't in the episode, you're right -- I've watched the four-parter so many times that they're starting to blur together.

But Burton makes perfect sense. Good catch!

Azrael24

why?
Apr 15, 2005
Gotham Streets
woa! i just relized i never posted here!

well this was yet another great episode!! great action, specially the fights b/w galatea/supergirl and the ultimen/jlu. i liked wonder woman in this episode :eek:. she said the right things and i loved 'actually, he took it better than i thought he would.' that was great, and flash was great too with the batman batmobil wheel thing :D:anime::D. but the ending was just a big surprise!! i accidently came across that braniac was in the next episodes but i thought lex was working on braniac. then i saw lex wasnt working on braniac and i was like :confused:. but then the lex went crazy and i was like wahts goin on:confused: and then i relized lex was braniac!:confused::eek::confused::eek:. i cant wait for next week and find how lex is braniac and

the justice lords. i accidently saw a picture of them for the next episode on a website

great episode *****

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Oct 24, 2003
Bayou
Visit site
Something I don`t understand. Bats&Supesare on the same side fighting crime, yet supes is look on as a great saver(before legacy) who people can count on while batman is view as a nutcase who should mind his own business. Even in his own city the mayor and certain cops don`t trust him. Superman can butt into police or goverment business anytime he wants to and nobody say nothing bad about? How fair is that?

Casey Mack

Jan 28, 2005
Seaboard city
RAINMAN said:
Something I don`t understand. Bats&Supesare on the same side fighting crime, yet supes is look on as a great saver(before legacy) who people can count on while batman is view as a nutcase who should mind his own business. Even in his own city the mayor and certain cops don`t trust him. Superman can butt into police or goverment business anytime he wants to and nobody say nothing bad about? How fair is that?
well its simple superman and Batman have totally different views and ways of fightinng crime. Batman makes criminals fear him, Superman does not need to do that. Superman has super powers and has been made a deputy of the SCU [speacial crimes unti] of metropolis. Even though Batman works closely with commisoner Gordan he is still a man in Bat-outfit with a gruff attuide and does not get to involved in social events. You also have to take into consideration superman not only saves metropolis, but flys around the globe saveing other places and countries. Batman is great, but he cannot and does not do this really. Hence the world sees superman as a world hero. OH and the goverment has never fully trusted superman just the people of Earth.
________
Fix ps3

Last edited by a moderator:

maxnugget

Avenger of evil and ignorance
Apr 8, 2002
US
It's simple really.

Superman poses for photo ops. Batman does not.

Superman makes appearances at charity events. Batman does not (except when impersonated by Batgirl).

Superman does interviews with the Daily Planet. Batman is written about, usuallly in a negative light, in articles about escaped villains, etc.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
TBalena said:
Of course! Cox wasn't in the episode, you're right -- I've watched the four-parter so many times that they're starting to blur together.

But Burton makes perfect sense. Good catch!
I agree it had to be either Rosenbaum or Burton that voiced Stripes. It was a similar situation on "task force x" with Shining Knight and Vigilante whom I think Cox and Rosenbaum did respectively (since Captain Atom and Deadshot appeared) but it could have been one of the others like Adam Baldwin. The only one I know of is on "the balance", the voice of Tala, Juliet Landau, VA'ed for Zatanna's small line of dialogue.

Alex Weitzman

Got Opinions?
May 20, 2003
California
Yojimbo said:
I agree it had to be either Rosenbaum or Burton that voiced Stripes.
Guys, it's Phil LaMarr. Look with your ears.

(Additionally, it's been confirmed by, as I recall, both McDuffie and b.t. that LaMarr is S.T.R.I.P.E.)

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
Jun 6, 2001
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
JEWCY said:
who saved batman?
Superman with his sleeve rolled up? Hawkgirl on steroids? J'onn J'onzz disguised as Superman with his sleeve rolled up?

Alex Weitzman said:
Guys, it's Phil LaMarr. Look with your ears.

(Additionally, it's been confirmed by, as I recall, both McDuffie and b.t. that LaMarr is S.T.R.I.P.E.)
Yeah, the question to that little mystery was finally answered during the "Chaos at the Earth's Core" talkback here and here.

Toddman

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Included on the home video release for the direct-to-video Superman/Batman: Public Enemies animated feature (DVD/Blu-ray Talkback, Feature Talkback), discuss this classic episode from Justice League Unlimited.

Episode #24 - Panic in the Sky
Original Airdate - July 9th, 2005

With the founding members out of action, the remaining 50 heroes fight to survive Cadmus’ ultimate attack on the Justice League.

Comments?

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
idoes anyone know why only batman was against turning himself in to the authorities? maybe the other heroes did it to ease tension, but i don't think that's the exact reason

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
idoes anyone know why only batman was against turning himself in to the authorities? maybe the other heroes did it to ease tension, but i don't think that's the exact reason
I think Batman was being Batman, one step ahead of everyone else. While the rest of the JLU was still on their guilt trip, Batman was deduced Lex Luthor was the one who hacked into and fired the fusion cannon (as he notes in the confrontation at the end of the episode) as a diversion. Realizing his reasons were even more sinister, Batman was off to stop him as soon as possible rather than waste time making a gesture to the federal government. Irritated with the Founders, Batman tipped off Amanda Waller to Luthor's facetiousness then went onto stop Luthor.

k.s.

Jul 29, 2009
USA
I think Batman was being Batman, one step ahead of everyone else. While the rest of the JLU was still on their guilt trip, Batman was deduced Lex Luthor was the one who hacked into and fired the fusion cannon (as he notes in the confrontation at the end of the episode) as a diversion. Realizing his reasons were even more sinister, Batman was off to stop him as soon as possible rather than waste time making a gesture to the federal government. Irritated with the Founders, Batman tipped off Amanda Waller to Luthor's facetiousness then went onto stop Luthor.
I don't think it was so much the League being naive and Batman deducing the truth as it was an issue of philosophy. Superman feels that he needs to have the public's trust to be a superhero (like Lois said in Question Authority), so he turns himself in out of guilt to regain any lost trust and to show that he's not above the law. And since it's Superman, no one's really going to disagree with him. Except for Batman of course, who feels that Clark should clear his name by being proactive rather than worrying about public perception.

It's a difference of philosophy, which is pretty common between Superman and Batman. Everyone else just sided with Superman because, well, he's Superman. Would you expect anyone other than Batman to stand up to him?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I don't think it was so much the League being naive and Batman deducing the truth as it was an issue of philosophy. Superman feels that he needs to have the public's trust to be a superhero (like Lois said in Question Authority), so he turns himself in out of guilt to regain any lost trust and to show that he's not above the law. And since it's Superman, no one's really going to disagree with him. Except for Batman of course, who feels that Clark should clear his name by being proactive rather than worrying about public perception.

It's a difference of philosophy, which is pretty common between Superman and Batman. Everyone else just sided with Superman because, well, he's Superman. Would you expect anyone other than Batman to stand up to him?
I agree with your take on it. Definitely. Back on "Hereafter," Batman made the admission of philosophies and his exception of the difference. To clarify my point was that Batman did see Superman's ideology in their plan, thus dismissed it and proceeded to follow his own approach, as he always does, but improvising a bit and tipping off Waller which would in explicitly lead to the other founders' exoneration and helping achieve both his and Superman's aims at the time; defeat the villain and restore public perception to a positive light. In a weird way, that was Batman's way of giving them the green light to go ahead with their plan...by snapping at them like that because he works indirectly (i.e. "I do my best work in the shadows" interplay in "A Better World") and Superman is more direct (i.e. punch down a door, ask questions later).

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
Mar 3, 2005
Leeds
This episodes awesome, the ation was incredible Supergirl vs Galatea was superb, Supergirl really gave everything she had against her more powerful clone. Just superb and even though I've watched this a few times the twist is still surprising at the end. 5 out of 5

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Would you believe I was first exposed to Angelica Hale through here?
Oh look at that. My cable provider wants me to pay even MORE money just so I can watch the new Owl House episode on DisneyNow. Are you kidding me?
The winner is "Let's Meet Sonic", which got 3 votes. "Monster Party" got 1 vote. The next matchup is animated crossovers with live action shows. This time it's between "Halloween Night At The Museum" (Ultimate Spiderman & Jessie) and ScoobyNatural (Supernatural & Scooby Doo).

If schedule listings are to be believed, it appears as though Toonami will be airing reruns of DBS' Universe Survival Saga starting tonight.
Can we talk about how a French home video company had an opening logo consisting of an animated Groucho Marx set to disco music? I especially like the Fender Rhodes solo during the second half, even if it's just the warning message.