Justice League Unlimited - New Episodes Talkback (UK Airings) (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batboy

Whatever happened to Conroy's Batman voice? It sounds different from every show (BTAS>TNBA>BB>JL>JLU, he sounds almost the same in JL/JLU). It's nowhere near as dark as it used to be (in BTAS). I can't really discribe it but it's like listening to music with a subwoofer (BTAS) for a while and then switching back to a soundsystem without a subwoofer (JL/JLU). It's really disappointing imo :sweat:.

I do like the new episodes, though :). Also, seeing batman's disgust of the gun he held in his hand was a very cool scene.

MilkManX

From the X pit
This episode was awesome.

The Monks in the opening were awesome. Killer animation.

I love that they nod the Gotham Adventures comic orgin for Deadman.

Man the "Gorilla League" cracked me up.

My only dissapointment is that I wanted to see those french fries Superman was talking about.

pjay

My mind's a shot-glass
(Spoilers) who is the villian the JL are fighting at the

(Spoilers) who is the villian the JL are fighting at the ending (preview for next episode) to "Dead Reckoning." Is it Omm (Oom) the Mighty, the villian that fought the spectre in All Star #3 (1940) and then came back in All Star #51 (1985)?

efumf

Behold the DCAnimatedUniverse!
Luthor the hairless ape :anime:

I guess that means human Luthor has no body hair at all. I wonder why they never showed how he lost his hair on STAS. Smallville handled it beautifully in the pilot.

I think Grodd's still alive. Could swear I heard him breathing while laying on the floor.

Razor

... am I the only one who doesn't want Luthor to be the arc villain again?

I mean, it just seems redundant...

Dark Knight

Razor said:

Yeah, kindof. But look at it this way: EVERYONE (exceptthebatrogues) is really the arc villain. Plus the season isn't over yet, there may be more curve balls yet.

Another thing I'm not sure if anyone mentioned yet. Could this be the same Monestary that Green Lantern Beyond belonged to? Yet another DCAU comic reference if it is from the Batman Beyond series.

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
To add something that no one's really mentioned yet - George Newbern gave a *fantastic* performance in this episode. He had to carry most of Deadman's expository dialogue, and he really changed his intonations and mannerisms. It really felt like a continuation of Deadman's performance and not Newbern doing a Deadman impersonation.

As impressed with the episode as I was, a few lines of dialogue threw me off at times. Mostly the expository stuff in the watchtower that recaps the other LoD episodes, and Diana's "missing flash's obligatory comment" line. Those just seemed really forced, in both writing and performance.

I thought Luthor's "why am I not surprised" was directed at Grodd's plan in general, not his own hairlessness, but hey :p

Juu-kuchi

Everypony's Starry-Eyed
Razor said:

Maybe, but you just can't have Luthor on the sidelines for so long and not take a position of power.

Razor

... Well, look at this comparison.

Last season - Someone else appears to be the bad guy (Cadmus), and Luthor pulls the reigns out from under them. Brainiac was involved.

This season - Someone else appears to be the bad guy (Grodd), and Luthor pulls the reigns out from under them. Braniac may be involved.

There could be another direction taken, and there's a good chance Braniac may not make a comeback, but given that recent interview about "This season being about Luthor," it's a very dangerous possibility that he'll stay in charge.

Maybe, but you just can't have Luthor on the sidelines for so long and not take a position of power.

Granted. But that doesn't mean he always has to succeed.

Juu-kuchi

Everypony's Starry-Eyed
Razor said:
Granted. But that doesn't mean he always has to succeed.
True. But then again, we're not exactly sure how long he will stay in power. I mean the event that happened was quite sudden, and although he seems to have taken a position of power, we are not exactly sure what will happen to him next and if Grodd survives from a face-full of Gorilla-City weaponry.

Maybe Luthor should've just used his regular gun on Grodd. Hell, maybe even Grodd is for some strange reason alive, it's just that he'd like to use Luthor as a means to get the job done without him having to exert his own energy toward it.

I did feel that the master plan part of the episode seemed anticlimatic though.

b.t.

TBalena said:
Yeah, I noticed that he seemed different, too. I just figured that Grodd and Luthor had been screwing with Bizarro for so long -- not necessarily by actually tampering with his mind, just by getting him more and more confused by talking to him -- that he'd developed the backwards-talking habit.

Like you said, he was always pretty lovable... but, in his new backwards state, he thought he was being gentle and doing the right think when he was actually being brutal and evil. So, he had convinced himself he was still a hero; the backwards-talking is a sort of defense mechanism, you might say.

Luthor and Grodd probably encouraged this change, and took advantage of his confusion to turn him into a living weapon.

[/I][/spoiler]

someone would probably figure this out before long, but if you look closely at some of bizarro's close-ups, you'll notice a faint scar on his forehead, indicating that as part of grodd's "upgrade the villains" program (see "to another shore"), lex performed a little brain surgery on bizarro to make him more controllable...didn't work out quite as planned, necessitating giving him his marching orders in classic bizarro "backwards logic"....

A.J

thanks for that info b.t :p

Now, would it be possible that you or someone from your crew could be able to let us know if JLU is getting a 4th season...? If everybody is wondering the same thing why not telling us now that you are around and that the show is on its 6th episode in UK...? Just wondering :sweat:

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
JLSAINT said:
Now, would it be possible that you or someone from your crew could be able to let us know if JLU is getting a 4th season...? If everybody is wondering the same thing why not telling us now that you are around and that the show is on its 6th episode in UK...? Just wondering :sweat:

Same reason they didn't tell us about the third season pick up. It's Cartoon Network who has to announce it. There's probably an NDA that's also signed to avoid leaks of premature information. In the end, the crew isn't probably able to comment on anything. It's also why interviews are sometimes difficult to complete because it has to all be cleared by CN or WBA or whoever you're interviewing and for what show.

Now stuff that's not on the air (BTAS, STAS, BB, etc.)...that's free game. They don't care about that, so interviews concerning that junk goes faster. In the end, we probably won't hear, from the crew of JLU, the status of JLU for another year or so.

So please, don't ask the creators. It's very possible they just aren't allowed to say anything. I'm sure they'd tell us if they could.

-BB

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
From the looks of the pics posted at Justice League Animated, it would appear that the Legion of Doom has expanded somewhat. Here are the new members I can recognize, with a bit of explanation as to who they are:

Goldface (Silver Age Green Lantern villain), Psycho-Pirate (controls emotions, famous for remembering pre-Crisis DC Universe...hey, maybe he remembers Superfriends?), Dr. Spectro (Captain Atom villain), Merlyn (evil archer), and Tsukuri (new character from "Fury").

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Karkull said:
From the looks of the pics posted at Justice League Animated, it would appear that the Legion of Doom has expanded somewhat. Here are the new members I can recognize, with a bit of explanation as to who they are:

Goldface (Silver Age Green Lantern villain), Psycho-Pirate (controls emotions, famous for remembering pre-Crisis DC Universe...hey, maybe he remembers Superfriends?), Dr. Spectro (Captain Atom villain), Merlyn (evil archer), and Tsukuri (new character from "Fury").
There's a lot of new villains in there now, from what I remember, as most of Superman's have been defeated. I hope we see Psycho-Pirate, I remember the coolest issue of JL Adventures (#20)ever featuring him, especially the way he manipulated Batman and Superman against each other.

Batman: "It's obvious you like Wonder Woman when it's so obvious she's into me more. You're so green from envy you think you'd have kryptonite poisoning!"

Or something like that... it was an awesome issue!

Pretentious

Two-fisted action!
Karkull said:

I really, really hope that somehow, before the end of this season, Psycho-Pirate gets a nice role in an episode. I've loved what little of him I've been able to read.

And who was the woman that had what seemed to be a costume similar to Dr. Mid-Nite's (she was sitting right next to Merlyn). For the life of me, I can't place her.

Krypton_Knight

Juu-kuchi said:
I did feel that the master plan part of the episode seemed anticlimatic though.

Yeah, they've played Grodd straight, given him a good deal of menace and gravitas in both "Secret Society" and "My Name is Legion", sucked us into respecting an *ape* - then they decided to play the Silver Age/comedic motivation card at the last minute, and completely undercut the character for a few laughs.

I laughed at the joke, but I wish it hadn't felt so jarring.

KK

S.C.B

Too close.
Batboy said:
Whatever happened to Conroy's Batman voice? It sounds different from every show (BTAS>TNBA>BB>JL>JLU, he sounds almost the same in JL/JLU). It's nowhere near as dark as it used to be (in BTAS). I can't really discribe it but it's like listening to music with a subwoofer (BTAS) for a while and then switching back to a soundsystem without a subwoofer (JL/JLU). It's really disappointing imo :sweat:.

That's just the natural development of the voice. When I first bought the B:TAS DVDs, I was quite surprised out how different Conroy's voice sounded. The Batman spirit is still there, but it was much more gravelly than it is now. I personally think that the old B:TAS Batman voice sounded a little forced compared to his smooth JLU one.

EJill34

Razor said:
... Well, look at this comparison.

Last season - Someone else appears to be the bad guy (Cadmus), and Luthor pulls the reigns out from under them. Brainiac was involved.

This season - Someone else appears to be the bad guy (Grodd), and Luthor pulls the reigns out from under them. Braniac may be involved.

There could be another direction taken, and there's a good chance Braniac may not make a comeback, but given that recent interview about "This season being about Luthor," it's a very dangerous possibility that he'll stay in charge.

I almost agree with you, and that was a worry of mine at the beginning of the season. But things have taken such an interesting turn that I trust the creators to deliver something totally different than last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts