Justice League Unlimited - New Episodes Talkback (UK Airings), Part II (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christophe

Hall of Justice/Metrotower
The Secret Society (which we still fondly refer to as the Legion of Doom) was formed. Leading us to expect them to be used in a large way. To date, we only had one episode in which the SS/LOD was a kickass threat- 'Dead Reckoning' wherein they massacred (kinda) the monks. But look what we got so far-
1. I Am Legion- The establishment of the SS/LOD. We hear the Darth Vader music
2. Shadow of the Hawk- we divert from the established plot for the first time with the arrival of Hawkman. the first of two episodes. No SS/LOD
3. Chaos at Earth's Core- Supergirl Episode. SS/LOD rears its head with one of their semi-grandiose schemes.
4. To Another Shore- Another SS/LOD buildup. this time with WW in the lead.
5. Flash and Substance- good episode, but mainly filler-like.
6. Dead Reckoning- We start to feel the threat that is the SS/LOD.
7. Patriot Act- another Filler.
8. The Great Brain Robbery- great episode. But filler material. with the SS/LOD only being the background.
9. Grudge Match- Filler
10. Far From home- Filler
11. Ancient History- the sequel to Shadow of the Hawk wherein there is zero SS/LOD visibility. Think OVA with 2 eps.
12. Alive- The SS/LOD pretty much kill each other and we are left with 50% of their incomplete ranks to begin with. Then they are swept aside by the appearnce of Doug, now minus the tight mini. In short- bye bye to what couldve been a good plotline.
13. Destroyer- The SS/LOD turn goody-two-shoes to keep their planet. somebody took the plotline form the trashcan and threw it away in a farther can.

I'm not saying this season hasn't been good. I'm just saying it's not as epic-y as it should be, in my opinion. I've enjoyed every single episode. It's the stringing together that isn't so fantastic (for me). These last two epsidodes feel like a two-part JL episode that can fit anywhere in the saga, since it didn't need the buildup that was 'wasted' on the Secret Society.

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
SJJ said:
I think someone should die. [...] Hard for JLU, because it's genre doesn't allow for such occurances easily.

By that I take it you mean DC won't allow them to kill off potential cash cows and devalue the brand? I could see DC allowing it if they'd known it was the show's final season, but I don't think they did until after the fact. So a death is very unlikely, unless its super-ambigious (like what they did w/Despero).

I do agree with Revelator that Lex will have some part to play in defeating Darkseid. Though that becomes problematic - do we want Lex worshipped as a hero when hes more the outright villain than ever?

James

Administrator
Staff member
Simpler Simon said:
By that I take it you mean DC won't allow them to kill off potential cash cows and devalue the brand? I could see DC allowing it if they'd known it was the show's final season, but I don't think they did until after the fact. So a death is very unlikely, unless its super-ambigious (like what they did w/Despero).

I meant more with it being a kid's cartoon. Killing off a minor character like Dan Turpin is one thing, a major character is quite another. With Dan, the sympathy is invested more in Superman and friends for his loss, with a major character - be he hero or villain, the audience will empathise with them far more. I think it's a whole different kettle of fish on a subject kid's networks are dicey with.

I'm not saying they COULDN'T do it, I'm not in CN or the creative team, so it would be arrogant to presume, I'm just saying I think the logistics of a kids cartoon make a main death a lot harder. And with Lex being as much a protagonist here in this season, it would make his death a little more complicated even if it would be the most suitable.

I do agree with Revelator that Lex will have some part to play in defeating Darkseid. Though that becomes problematic - do we want Lex worshipped as a hero when hes more the outright villain than ever?

That's the beauty in making it Lex. And JLU has been very much about the "grey" element to humanity as a whole. One man's villain can be another man's hero...

Gorthaur

Junior Demon
S.C.B said:
If someone does die, it should be a pointless death, much like Dan Turpin's. It shouldn't be some great sacrifice that is built up to, it should simply be random hero/villain and then BAM! they're dead.
I disagree. We've already established that Darseid is evil and, in a way, petty enough to kill indiscriminately when the mood strikes him, and a repeat of that is hardly necessary. Furthermore, JLU can already get away with nameless characters dying in the background, and "Alive!" has them dispatch plenty of named villains, as well.

If there's to be a death with particular impact, then it has to be someone that we know and care about.

John6777

Well Tala died right when we were starting to sympatize with her so maybe someone will die. I hope it's big. Metron doesn't get involved for nothing.

gusdlt

Ace The Bathound
I really hope Superman dies fighting with Darkseid. That would lead to a movie explaining his return (we do see him in Batman Beyond). But I'm only dreaming...

JLU Dude

EmaHalJordan said:
"Alive!" 5 stars AMAZING!! :D DARKSEID RETURN!! METRON!! I HOPE FOR THE PART.2: THE ORIGINAL SEVEN + THE ATOM, GREEN ARROW, HAWKMAN AND AQUAMAN VS DARKSEID!! :D

EmaHalJordan

Aqauman isn't gonna appear anymore, since he's been embargoed.:shrug:

S.C.B

Too close.
Gorthaur said:
I disagree. We've already established that Darseid is evil and, in a way, petty enough to kill indiscriminately when the mood strikes him, and a repeat of that is hardly necessary. Furthermore, JLU can already get away with nameless characters dying in the background, and "Alive!" has them dispatch plenty of named villains, as well.

If there's to be a death with particular impact, then it has to be someone that we know and care about.
I wasn't referring to the type of character that would die (and Dan Turpin was hardly a background character or nameless - he was as much a part of S:TAS as say, Green Arrow is in JLU), but rather how they die.

Much like how Superman 'died' in 'Hereafter', any death in 'Destroyer' should be a senseless thing that could have been avoided in some way. An unjustified yet heroic sacrifice, if you will - it gives the death far more tragedy and emotion, at least in my eyes.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
John6777 said:
Well Tala died right when we were starting to sympatize with her so maybe someone will die. I hope it's big. Metron doesn't get involved for nothing.
Highfather?

These two episodes do seem to have a 'Cosmic Odyssey' feel to it, from an outside perspective.

Or Lex Luthor for that matter.

Dens Maris

Humble Supporting Character
I doubt they'd kill Superman in the series finale, but there ought to be something in there, so that we understand the cost of it all.

EJill34

Well, will you look at that. According to Dwayne McDuffie,
Darkseid isn't fused with Brainiac-tech afterall

[Guys, if it's from an official source and not speculation, it's spoiler! - SJJ]

MilkManX

From the X pit
Here is how I would like it to end. Darkseid does defeat Superman badly. The league is in Peril. Orion has finally had it. "This is my fight Superman...I will deal with him" He unleashes his fury(comes from his Dad..Darkseid). Puts the hurt on Darkseid and has Metron boom the JL back home. The final shot shows the armies of New Genesis and Apokalips in a waging war and the camera rolls back.

Then we see the JL in the tower with the Original 7 in the med lab where Superman is.

Or something like that.

Then they could do an awesome NEW GODS DTV. Ok sorry my fanboyism just went into overdrive.

Gorthaur

Junior Demon
GMahler said:
Well, will you look at that. According to Dwayne McDuffie
Then why
is he twice as big and in possession of abilities he never demonstrated before?
Do you have a link to where you learned this? And please, something more specific than "his boards," since I seem utterly unable to find anything there.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
I feel really stupid for asking this, but here goes: what is it about Darkseid's costume that ties his new look to
KISS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts