"Justice League Infinity (2021 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Justice League Infinity, Season One - Rate and Discuss this DC Comics series!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Co-written by Justice League Unlimited producer James Tucker and series writer J.M. DeMatteis with art by Ethen Beavers, Justice League Infinity stars all of the fan-favorite characters from the revered series - Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern John Stewart, Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter - banding together to face new dangers that not only threaten Earth, but the multiverse itself!

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #1

Preview pages available at The World's Finest!

Written by: J.M. DeMatteis and James Tucker
Art by: Ethen Beavers

The Story: From the producer of Justice League Unlimited James Tucker and series writer JM DeMatteis comes an all-new season starring the World's Greatest Heroes! There is a being wandering the universe searching for its true purpose, but what it finds out one the furthest edges of the cosmos will change not just our universe, but multiple!

Print and Digital Release: July 6, 2021
Price: $3.99

Welcome back to The Watchtower! Talk all about Justice League Infinity right here at The World's Finest!

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two (2021 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
An excellent opener to the new series. Congratulations to all involved in bringing this to us.

The writing was strong, the narrative is intriguing and the artwork was gorgeous, clearly capturing the Bruce Timm style. I could instantly hear the voice actors in my head whilst reading and nothing felt 'off' or suspect. It was a smart move to frame the series from the perspective of J'onn as I always wondered what would become of him after ''Destroyer''.

Plus, yay for ''Wonder-Bat''!!

Looking forward to see where it goes next.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Agreed, great opener. J'onn narrating was a nice touch. Also like the parallelism between J'onn and Amazo's journey's of identity.

According to J'onn, it's been several years and the caption when Kalibak arrives nicely confirms it's after Destroyer. Hmm, so this is likely after Justice League vs. The Fatal Five. Nice tough, in J'onn's room, there's one panel where there's a frame of the Chinese woman he was with in Destroyer.

Heh, revisiting the two big romance sub-plots.

Not too clear if Big Barda, Mister Miracle, and Blue Beetle are members or if they just came for Flash's birthday party. But x years later, pretty likely they would have added more members. And we know Barda at least eventually joined. To Twitter! :p EDIT: Yes, are members.

Guess after Twilight or Alive!, they never did figure out how to prevent bad guys from booming to the Watchtower or Metrotower. heh. Makes sense Apokolips is still in a civil war. If Kalibak escaped wherever he was kept in Hereafter Part 1 and 2 (could've been kidnapped back to Apokolips too), he could escape again after The Ties That Bind.

Okay... Overman totally has the same chest emblem as the Superman in "Brave New Metropolis". Seems like just a nod, because he doesn't recognize Lois at all, so different parallel universe.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
A very strong opening issue. I know this is a complete cliche, but I really heard the respective voice actors when reading the lines. I even had the JLU theme stuck on my head.

I love the character art and coloring. It can look a bit off at times, but I enjoy how vibrant and expressive it is. It has a very different energy from the darker, more downbeat approach in Batman: The Adventures Continue. Both work for their perspective approaches. I particularly enjoyed Amazo's trip beyond time and space.

The story is pretty simple, but I think it was meant to reintroduce the characters and their dynamics. liked that it directly picked up several threads and relationships from the end of the series. However, I can also see that making it difficult for anyone reading this as a standalone. J'onn's subplot was easily the most compelling part, since I always thought we barely got explore his quest on the original series. So, it's cool to see his experiences as a shapeshifting traveler.

Also, while I enjoyed getting an update on the disarray following Darkseid's disappearance, I thought the fight between Granny and Kalibak's armies, ft. the Justice League was kind of underwhelming. Having characters like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle quipping also didn't help establish the stakes either.

Still, this was fun. I'm looking forward to seeing Overman and all of the AU counterparts we're likely going to see.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It just popped in my, the voice that drew Amazo to the edge of known space to the quantum vortex and now AU counterparts spilling in. What if the voice belongs to Amazo's 'Anti-Monitor' counterpart?

Spider-Man

A fantastic first issue! This comic already feels like it's going to pull off everything that BTAC seems to be failing at. It feels right and like it could leap off the page and be an actual episode. Beavers also did some storyboard work for JLU right? You can tell by his dynamic artwork. No complaints at all and I can't wait for the second issue!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Co-written by Justice League Unlimited producer James Tucker and series writer J.M. DeMatteis with art by Ethen Beavers, Justice League Infinity stars all of the fan-favorite characters from the revered series banding together to face new dangers that not only threaten Earth, but the multiverse itself!

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #2

The Story: Across the globe people begin disappearing, replaced with different but similar individuals. So where is Superman and who is this new monstrous Overman?! In order to get to the bottom of what’s happening, the Justice League will need to first take down the new villain! And what horrors are revealed in the twisted mirror room?!

Print/Digital Release: August 3, 2021
Price: $3.99US

Talk all about Justice League Infinity right here at The World's Finest!

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two (2021 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

iammattie

Talk about writing with conviction! This book is just overflowing with stuff that's so awesome to see, but will absolutely enrage the most toxic recesses of comic book fandom. I love that they're really focusing on J'onn's gender fluidity with the backdrop of her being Amrit, and I'm really hoping by the end of the book that they're at a happy place with whoever they chose to be, tho with the fact the team has stated they view this as pre-JLvF5, I'm guessing that may just end up being the J'onn we already know and love.

Was not expecting an explicit reference to antifa, or how hate rallies have become common place in real word America, but that certainly was a welcome surprise and keeps the story grounded.

Wonder Woman's girlboss moment in the fight against Overman was super cool as well! I'm such a sucker for that stuff lmao.

I'm super interestd in the origins of the Kryptonite Gun that Lois has. Clearly she didn't have it in Legacy, so was it a contingency that came into play after that? Or maybe it was due to Superman's paranoia surrounding the Lords? Who built it? I can't imagine Emil being too enthused putting together the weapon if he couldn't use it himself. Bruce still just has the rock by Beyond time. Is Superman some sort of weapons engineer and we just never heard of it?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
When Lois whipped out the Kryptonite Gun, my thoughts instantly that after the events of "Divided We Fall," Superman or others in the main 7 pitched contingencies in lieu of their newfound humility. And Superman likely believed Lois should have a Kryptonite Gun in case of another doppelganger or if he was mind controlled, etc. I would guess Atom or Steel built the gun off-screen for her. Or could have been Cadmus tech they confiscated off-screen when the project was dismantled between seasons.

Comic book readers know why that gun didn't work... I suspect an allusion to his weakness likely being a variant like Blue Kryptonite was Ultraman from World's Collide/Crisis on Two Earths was his weakness.

If Superman ended up on a racist world, why not make it one similar to if Vandal Savage won World War II like in Savage Time? Sure. And raised Kal-El and assimilated Brainiac. And they have Zod, Doomsday, and a lady Metallo as an AU version of the Freedom Fighters. Neat. Also, that shot of Superman being teleported by the Freedom Fighters reminded of the fake out in "Hearts and Minds" with John.

And things go from bad to worse. Always that last page. :D

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Another strong issue. I enjoyed how this is its own DCAU-flavored version of Overman and his world, rather than just translating the comic one. We get nifty stuff like Blonde Jimmy Olsen, Vandal Savage as the ruler of Earth along with a sub-servant Brainiac, and a different version of the Freedom Fighters, consisting of General Zod (using a very old-school design), Metallo, and Doomsday (who looks more like Clayface).

I loved Superman's characterization. He's merciful and understanding, even when surrounded by sheer hatred. Lois was also cool and had a bigger role than I expected. I guess Kal-El falling for Lois is always an universal constant.

Poor J'onn has to be forced out of retirement to help with the crisis. After reading so many stories where he gets overwhelmed and defeated quickly lately, I enjoyed him "finishing" a rampaging Overman, while also acknowledging it was a complete violation. I hope J'onn is able to return to his current life after this, though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
And The Savage Time editor's note needs to be fixed.

Also appreciate, the very simple explanation with Amazo post-Wake The Dead. "We expected him to return... but he never did." :D Also kudos for Lois recognizing the symbol from "Brave New Metropolis" but it's very clear, not the same parallel universe.

Interesting cameos of Darkseid, Justice Lord Wonder Woman, and who looks like Calvin Ellis who've seen on an upcoming cover. Still curious if we may see someone from the Gods and Monsters canon, DeMatteis did work on the tie-in comics and perhaps he'll try to get one in.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Justice League Infinity #1 "The Cracked Mirror, Part 1"

Intriguing. I am very glad the comic hasn't actually forgotten that the DCAU version of Amazo is unique in that he isn't actually a villain. I was worried about hearing him coming back for that reason, but the writers did right by him.

I am still interested to learn if Lois knows Superman is Clark.

It's hinted Diana and Batman are currently a thing. I love this continuity.

Seeing Blue Beetle was great. Of course the DCAU would be using Ted Kord at this point. Him and Booster Gold together are fun.

Very interesting first issue. ****1/2.

Justice League Infinity #2 "The Cracked Mirror, Part 2"

Honestly? I thought that was pretty powerful. Lois Lane swinging from a noose really pushed my buttons, and the issue seems to be taking on some hot-button political issues. But it's doing so using allegory which means it's good sci-fi.

J'onn J'onzz has always been my least favorite League member (I recall always calling him a total drip in my Justice League reviews) and it's no surprise to me that he refuses to get involved in this crisis until it personally affects him. Dude totally sucks. Knew his cool, sunny persona from Destroyer couldn't last.

One good thing this title has over Batman: The Adventures Continue: They use Editor notes in the story to refer back to previous DCAU episodes. Like JLU, JLI takes DCAU continuity VERY seriously, and it's for this reason I don't expect to see any sloppy canon mistakes like Firefly appearing in a flashback before Tim Drake was Robin. I like how neatly this fits into canon already.

Good stuff. ****.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Co-written by Justice League Unlimited producer James Tucker and series writer J.M. DeMatteis with art by Ethen Beavers, Justice League Infinity stars all of the fan-favorite characters from the revered series banding together to face new dangers that not only threaten Earth, but the multiverse itself!

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #3

The Story: As the worlds continue to bleed in and out of each other, the Justice League looks to the cosmos to learn how to stop the chaos that's been wrought. Meanwhile, Superman's journey through the Multiverse brings him face to face with another Man of Steel, but is this one friend or foe?

Print/Digital Release: Sept. 7, 2021
Price: $3.99US

Talk all about Justice League Infinity right here at The World's Finest!

Related Discussion:

Spider-Man

Another great issue and I already can't wait for the next issue to get here! My only complaint has nothing to do with the comic but social media. I wasn't thrilled to see the last page of this comic spoiled so early in the morning by a prominent DCAU fan account. Completely ruined the surprised. I really wish that websites could hold off for more than what feels like a few minutes before spoiling something. Having that appearance by Darkseid spoiled really sucked as its a great cliffhanger to end the issue on.

Otaku-sempai

Another great issue and I already can't wait for the next issue to get here! My only complaint has nothing to do with the comic but social media. I wasn't thrilled to see the last page of this comic spoiled so early in the morning by a prominent DCAU fan account. Completely ruined the surprised. I really wish that websites could hold off for more than what feels like a few minutes before spoiling something. Having that appearance by Darkseid spoiled really sucked as its a great cliffhanger to end the issue on.
On the other hand you, yourself, just spoiled the surprise for myself and anyone else who hasn't had a chance to see a physical copy of the issue yet. So, follow your own advice?

Spider-Man

On the other hand you, yourself, just spoiled the surprise for myself and anyone else who hasn't had a chance to see a physical copy of the issue yet. So, follow your own advice?
No need as I did nothing wrong. This thread has "Spoilers" in the title, so, obviously, expect spoiler conversation. I never enter these threads until I've read the comic, watched the episode, etc because - once again - these threads have spoiler warnings right there in the title. You spoil something for yourself in this thread and well that's on you. Spoilers are allowed here. Not the same on social media and Twitter when images are just posted with no warning. Nice try but not the same.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Again, such a trip to see Marv Wolfman's Justice Alliance of America of Earth-D adapted and I can see there will be a lot of confusion between Superman Earth-D and Calvin Ellis as the former came out decades before the latter which many know of since he's current and in the Infinite Frontier comics. But of course, a few differences from the comic book versions like Superman and Wonder Woman are the married couple but in the original comics, Superman and Supergirl were married. Or while both Green Arrows were Native American, this one lacks any green at all. And some nuanced details like Green Lantern's icon is on the center of his chest vs. off to the side. And lol, their Batman has a Whirly Bat. Of course. heh heh. Wonder if the rest of the Alliance will head into the vortex after their Superman...

A few more details about Earth-X. So Savage didn't win WWII I guess, he revived the Nazi Party in 1960 and took over. Huhn. Perhaps the presidential election what JFK won was different on Earth-X or the U.S. entry into the Vietnam War. And Doomsday is the Earth-X version of Emil Hamilton?! But the distrust he had for Superman - love that eerie nod. Hate to say it but I'm digging this version of Zod. lol'ed when both Superman wondered why they were both on Earth-X.

Loved Green Lantern being the one to neutralize Overman by compressing the field around him and by that, his will is greater than Overman's. Karl Kant, nice, a mix of German philosophers. Wonder Woman disappearing, eerie callback to Once and Future Thing but more well, macabre here. Loved that staging of all the Javelins plus the new one. Flash questioning the A.I. stuff, lol. Happy to see Mr. Terrific again!

That ending! I'm guessing this is an AU where Darkseid won and wiped out all life but was unable to rebuild it as he envisioned so now he just lives alone on a barren wasteland planet. Kinda like the Hereafter Vandal Savage. Hmm, wonder if this Darkseid went just as nutty.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Another fun issue. Just like Overman's universe, this version of Earth-D and the Justice Alliance is different from the comics. Superman is partly based on Calvin Ellis and is married to Wonder Woman (who is also different) instead of Supergirl. I think you guys mentioned that Aquaman looked like the one from JLA: Trapped in Time, and I see it. Batman seems to be just Silver Age Bats, especially with the Whirly-Bat.

It was also fun learning more about the Freedom Fighters. We have General Zod, who is Savage's nemesis, Doomsday, and Metallo. We learn more about the first two, but get nothing on the last one. Maybe next issue. I was shocked by Doomsday being Emil Hamilton, but his hatred of Superman is more justified here. Professor Potter is a pretty deep cut.

"Our" Earth also had some good moments. John Stewart was a bit harsh, but considering this is Overman we're talking about, he had the patience of a saint. Neat Atom and Mr. Terrific cameos, but I don't remember the latter being this chatty. Meh on the Batman/Wonder Woman shipping, but I love her friendship with J'onn. I don't really think they'll really do much with Shayera's awkwardness with John and Mari, though.

The cliffhanger was pretty great. I'm curious to see what became of Darkseid's world, and how he differs from standard Darkseid.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts