"Justice League: Gods And Monsters Chronicles (Short-form Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
It's not a question of visuals, it comes down to real life timing.

A comic book can depict action which takes place in a 1/10th of second using pages of exposition and numerous panels to narrate the action. It's up to the reader to manage his or her own pace in how fast the action "moves."

Unless you want everything on screen to run in slow motion (which is especially awkward looking in traditional animation - which is why it's rarely if ever used) the same technique cannot be applied. The viewer consumes on-screen visuals at a fixed rate of speed.

Super speed on screen needs to be super fast - - unless you like the slo-mo approach used by The Six Million Dollar Man in the 1970's.

Toddman
But I don't think that needs to be an issue.

The best Flash art is frenetic and constantly in-motion, almost as if it was animated rather then still panels, so having it actually be animated would only be one step forward from that in my opinion.

And unlike in the live-action show, where they would usually need to pad things out to fit an hour-long storyline and the FX budget, that would not be an issue for a cartoon. Everything else would be down to the writing and animators.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Decided to take a shot at asking Bruce Timm if there was anything he could say about Gods and Monsters during a DC in D.C. interview session. Got a one word answer: “Nope!”

So it would seem this thing remains in stasis, I’m sorry to say

Frontier

Staff member
Now that I think about it, I could see a return for Gods and Monsters fitting in well with the currently announced content for the DC Streaming Service.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What would it take for that to happen?
A ton of digital purchases of the movie and chatter on social media like Twitter with #JLGAM, @WarnerBrosEn, @WBHomeEn. There's not really a science to it but that's pretty much waht YJ fans did. Buy and Tweet.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I would love to see more in this universe but I do not have enough money to rebuy movies I already have. What Young Justice fans did was admirable, but I suspect most of them had more disposable cash than I do.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I would love to see more in this universe but I do not have enough money to rebuy movies I already have. What Young Justice fans did was admirable, but I suspect most of them had more disposable cash than I do.
1/13/18: Unfortunately, the movie did poorly in sales. I suspect a whole lot of pirating went on. Whatever the case, the plug got pulled on Chronicles season 2. Either that or something happened between WHV, Blue Ribbon, and Machinima that we plebeians aren't privy to. I suspect for every one title we know that got shelved, there's 20 more we don't know of that have a similiar fate.

2/3/19: A year later, Sam Liu shed a little more light on why Chronicles got shelved. It came down to funding because what basically sounds like a kiddie sandbox quarrel. "it was due to funding. Machinima wanted it then Home Video was going to take it but it got tied up so long the “hype window” was closed and they moved on."

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
2/3/19: A year later, Sam Liu shed a little more light on why Chronicles got shelved. It came down to funding because what basically sounds like a kiddie sandbox quarrel. "it was due to funding. Machinima wanted it then Home Video was going to take it but it got tied up so long the “hype window” was closed and they moved on."
Darn. Too bad they couldn't work things out :(.

iammattie

So I woke up this morning with an inbox message on Twitter asking about a blurb on a wiki that says

"According to Bruce Timm, Harlequin's similarities to Harley Quinn were deliberate, as the similarities as well as his having her killed by Batman were as a way of getting back at the New 52 for their redesign of Harley Quinn."

And really the only thing I've been able to dig up in the subject is a quote from this thread

Considering Bruce Timm's recent comments regarding Harley Quinn... that's certainly an interesting design choice he opted for.

Otherwise, this looks fantastic. Shame it's only three short installments, but they'll be a nice appetizer for the movie next month.

Does anyone have a source for the mentioned recent comments or any other further insight on the topic? It's got me really curious now.

Dallas Kinard

So I woke up this morning with an inbox message on Twitter asking about a blurb on a wiki that says

And really the only thing I've been able to dig up in the subject is a quote from this thread

Does anyone have a source for the mentioned recent comments or any other further insight on the topic? It's got me really curious now.
Sorry, I do not have any information on this specific topic.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I've only looked at the print interviews so far and I haven't found anything exact so my gut tells that, granted this wasn't misquoted or made up, probably from a convention round table or Q&A.

SyFy had
That was just me having fun with Harley. It has amused me over the years when people say, "What do you think of this new Harley in the comics? She is really skanky." I just say whatever. I have taken my liberties with traditional characters who have originated in the comics, and twisted them around. So, to me, it's fair game for DC Comics to take a character I created and do whatever the heck they want. Some of the versions of the character, I look at them -- especially some of the videogame versions or nastier-looking toys -- and think, "Uggh, what was appealing about Harley is all gone." But, sometimes, they come up with something really good. The current comic Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti are doing is great. But for the Gods and Monsters short, our ultra-nasty skanky version is my tongue-in-cheek version of the nastiest versions we sometimes see in the media.

Bleeding Cool had
Well… I’ll be honesty with you about this version of Harley. Over the years the character has gotten really popular and every time I go to a convention I see more Harleys than I do Mr. Spocks or Klingons. And now she’s going to be in the Suicide Squad movie so she’s going to get even more popular. And weirdly since they’ve been going outside of the class costume of hers. They’ve explored all these different variations on her costuming. Some of them I like, some of them look a bit skanky… some of them I say “whoa, that’s not even appealing”. What I wanted to do in the Gods And Monsters short was to go extreme and nasty with her. It’s not the cute and cuddly Harley from the Batman Animated Series. You want skanky Harley, here you go. So it was kind of a mean spirited take on that.

It was also my way of signaling to people that hey, if I’m willing to do this to one of my own characters I created, anything is possible.

iammattie

Thanks a ton! I had come across that Bleeding Cool article and figured that may be what was being referenced, but blown out of proportion. When I first read the message my immediate reaction was that it didnt seem right at all.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts