"Justice League: Gods And Monsters Chronicles (Short-form Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Well, that stinks. I had actually forgotten about season two, so when I saw that the thread had been updated, it was a pleasant reminder. I mean, until I actually read the news. :(

the greenman

It is disappointing. I have no doubt they're probably changing some things. I hope it's not legalities, I'm getting tired of that, especially since WB pretty owns most of their characters.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't know. The movie sales # shouldn't affect the digital series. Machinima ordered the 10 episodes back in May 2015. It's a separate series of costs. I wonder when it was actually shelved, there might be finished footage if it was this year. Hm.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Bruce Timm did talk a little about Chronicles season 2 in a Q&A at the Paris Comics Expo (props to Driss3000 for posting it elsewhere).
At the 03:48-04:14 mark. He basically said - yes, all scripts are done but they're not sure if the season will be done or not because 'there's so many other things going on right now, they're on the back burner.' Take what you will from that. Maybe it's a combination of him being involved in multiple projects at once and a lot of DC animation projects going on at once, that season 2 was put on hold.

Green-Ghost

So, still "shelved"? Just rewatched the shorts and I would love to see more of this universe, but the silence on season 2 isn't a good sign...

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
We've seen some of the designs already, but I'm curious if anything else will ever see the light of day...

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Tragic that this didn't go forward. Timm had so much enthusiasm for this version of the DC Universe. Oh well, I still loved the movie.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Going by Newsarama's live coverage of the "Spotlight on Bruce Timm" panel at Comic-Con, Timm talked a little about the Flash and Aquaman of the Gods and Monsters universe:
Apparently, the Flash has always been tough for Timm because he doesn't know how any villain could really challenge him.
So he doesn't have a version of the Flash from that continuity.
However they were going to introduce Lori Lemaris and she would be that world's Aquaman.
But I think there was some previous talk about Flash and Grodd possibly appearing before the next season was cancelled.

Frontier

Staff member
I still like my idea of The Flash being a time-travelling Eobard Thawne :p.

Lori Lemaris as Aquaman (or Aquawoman?) would've been interesting. Given she's traditionaly a Superman love interest, I wonder what kind of dynamic she would have had with Hernan :)?

Troy Troodon

Apparently, the Flash has always been tough for Timm because he doesn't know how any villain could really challenge him.
The Flash has a plefery of unique villains in his rogues gallery who can challenge him, plus there are several other villains for in the DCU as well, how hard is it for a villain to challenge a super speedster if they can just as easily confront heroes with enhanced strength, or even magic?!

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
The Flash has a plefery of unique villains in his rogues gallery who can challenge him, plus there are several other villains for in the DCU as well, how hard is it for a villain to challenge a super speedster if they can just as easily confront heroes with enhanced strength, or even magic?!
Those villains work in the comics because the writer and artist can dictate the speed of the interaction between characters using captions and inner monologue which the audience can read at its own pace.

Live action and animation doesn't work that way. Just watch the Flash TV show and you'll see countless examples of the Flash entering the scene to confront a bad guy, but instead of making the logical move of instantly disarming the villain and hauling him off to police HQ in a fraction of second, the Flash will instead slide into the scene several yards away from the villain and engage in banter with him before actually doing anything.

Timm obviously feels like that's too ridiculous of a scenario to portray properly.

Toddman

Frontier

Staff member
Those villains work in the comics because the writer and artist can dictate the speed of the interaction between characters using captions and inner monologue which the audience can read at its own pace.

Live action and animation doesn't work that way. Just watch the Flash TV show and you'll see countless examples of the Flash entering the scene to confront a bad guy, but instead of making the logical move of instantly disarming the villain and hauling him off to police HQ in a fraction of second, the Flash will instead slide into the scene several yards away from the villain and engage in banter with him before actually doing anything.

Timm obviously feels like that's too ridiculous of a scenario to portray properly.

Toddman
I think that would be less of an issue for animation given, like in the comics, the medium allows for more dynamic and fast-paced visuals and storytelling then what you can probably do on a live-action TV show on a TV show budget.

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
It's Superheroes, of course something's gonna look ridiculous.
That's not really an excuse for illogical or poor storytelling.

I think that would be less of an issue for animation given, like in the comics, the medium allows for more dynamic and fast-paced visuals and storytelling then what you can probably do on a live-action TV show on a TV show budget.
It's not a question of visuals, it comes down to real life timing.

A comic book can depict action which takes place in a 1/10th of second using pages of exposition and numerous panels to narrate the action. It's up to the reader to manage his or her own pace in how fast the action "moves."

Unless you want everything on screen to run in slow motion (which is especially awkward looking in traditional animation - which is why it's rarely if ever used) the same technique cannot be applied. The viewer consumes on-screen visuals at a fixed rate of speed.

Super speed on screen needs to be super fast - - unless you like the slo-mo approach used by The Six Million Dollar Man in the 1970's.

Toddman