"Justice League Dark Universe (Max Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm...so, what? A Justice League Dark Universe? Or properties based around the members :confused:?

I'd be down for solo stuff with Zatanna, Constantine, Deadman, and Etrigan :).
Another weird left turn in the saga of this title.

the greenman

Minor note but THR's article about Peacemaker mentioned Abrams is still working on Constantine and Zatanna series for HBO Max among others supernatural in theme.
So aside from helping to ruin Star Wars at Disney, he moseys over to WB to try his game at superheroes. Well, they apparently wanted him for Superman, so oh well.

On another note, I wish we were getting Swamp Thing from Wan continued here. I doubt CW will do it justice.
Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So aside from helping to ruin Star Wars at Disney, he moseys over to WB to try his game at superheroes. Well, they apparently wanted him for Superman, so oh well.
9/24: While some would argue Lucas ruined Star Wars before Abrams, it's moot and not the thread for it. The caveat is there's still a ton more series being worked on and it's still vague how far along this is because for example Gunn is already going to make his 8 episode series in early 2021 and it was just announced this week while Abrams' JLD universe of series was reported back in January 2020 and we haven't heard a peep of progress really. And I suppose the hope would be if these series do get made, Abrams is just an EP and not directly running each show or directing. Like how he's involved with Lovecraft Country as an EP but the showrunner producer is Misha Green.

1/26: Minor news but JLD HBO Max series confirmed to still being developed.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another report about a Constantine series being in the works for HBO Max. Apparently they're looking to cast someone new for the title role.
Leaning more into horror elements? Color me slightly more interested. It's also reassuring to read in the wake of Swamp Thing getting canned and all the controversy surrounding it with them still moving forward with supernatural/horror titles.

Not too surprised or broken up they're casting for a new actor. Matt Ryan did a great take on Constantine and got to reprise him so many times and maybe this actor they choose will also hit it out of the park.

the greenman

I'm wondering if they're actually trying to build a Justice League Dark team, or just doing the characters themselves. There was a rumor of a Swamp Thing reboot series awhile back (unrelated to Wan's DC Universe series), and now this Constantine. All we need is Etrigan and of course Zatanna.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm wondering if they're actually trying to build a Justice League Dark team, or just doing the characters themselves. There was a rumor of a Swamp Thing reboot series awhile back (unrelated to Wan's DC Universe series), and now this Constantine. All we need is Etrigan and of course Zatanna.
It appears so they are building one, aside from Constantine they are developing a Zatanna and JLD series. Constantine seems the most furthest along, hence why it's in the news right now.

the greenman

Not sure I was aware of Zatanna (unless I forgot). They give any hints on team roster yet? This will probably be brought up for Wonder Con and SDCC. Not sure how they are going to work this out. A team up of said existing characters with their own solo stories on their independent series and then a separate JLD series. That must be first.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not sure I was aware of Zatanna (unless I forgot). They give any hints on team roster yet? This will probably be brought up for Wonder Con and SDCC. Not sure how they are going to work this out. A team up of said existing characters with their own solo stories on their independent series and then a separate JLD series. That must be first.
Nope, no hints about the team roster yet. There's also a Warner Media upfront planned for May 19. We may get some details then as well. But yes, I agree, I hope they stick with solo series first before a JLD one.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Any reason for the idiotic decision to recast Constantine? Matt Ryan is perfect in the role (for ANY continuity) and it seems like DC is shooting itself in the foot while Ryan is still game.

My biggest worry is this will cause DC to write Constantine out of Legends Of Tomorrow. I'd be able to tolerate this dumb idea if I still had a place to get my Ryan fix but knowing how DC operates I'm not optimistic.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Any reason for the idiotic decision to recast Constantine? Matt Ryan is perfect in the role (for ANY continuity) and it seems like DC is shooting itself in the foot while Ryan is still game.

My biggest worry is this will cause DC to write Constantine out of Legends Of Tomorrow. I'd be able to tolerate this dumb idea if I still had a place to get my Ryan fix but knowing how DC operates I'm not optimistic.
They seem to be invested in the notion of the multiverse, post-AT&T merger and chairman shuffling, so I don't think we need to worry about characters getting written out of other shows. The fact that the Arrowverse Constantine has stuck with the Legends is something of a miracle in itself, lol. I'm hopeful whoever is cast will do a great job, too. One actor shouldn't have a role on lockdown, imo.

the greenman

Don't know if anyone has read this important info on Constantine, but doesn't look good for Ryan fans:

According to The Illuminerdi, the HBO Max series will reimagine John Constantine with a "darker reinvention of the character." Written by Guy Bolton, the outlet also claims that the series "will be less focused on religion, and more focused on the horror elements from the Constantine comics." As the series will be hosted on HBO Max, there's no telling at this point just how dark the show just might get, but they'll have the freedom to go as far as needed on the premium streamer.

Rumor is that the production team is also searching for a lead actor to star in the series with the hopes of casting a "BIPOC actor in their late 20's, similar to a young Riz Ahmed." The Illuminerdi also reports that HBO Max and Abrams aren't necessarily targeting Ahmed specifically to play the new John Constantine, but are "using his look as a starting point" in their quest to present a new version of the character unique from previous iterations.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts