"Justice League Dark: Apokolips War" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Gary indicated it's both roles. So unless it's a flashback, construct, etc. he's being resurrected. Maybe they go to Lady Shiva to ask to use a Lazarus Pit on Blood.
Maybe Etrigan won't help them or they need to find a way to keep him on the mortal plane so they just say "@#%^ let's bring Jason back" :p.

It would totally be a Constantine thing to do to revive Jason to control Etrigan and Jason then hates Constantine for bringing him back from the dead just to be foisted on Etrigan again...

EmaHalJordan

You mean speaking? Because the still in the article shows those 3 are in the movie. And as for Donna, she was in the past still that Jim Lee showed at a con. So they're at least appearing. They still might have minor speaking roles.
Yes, I mean to speaking!
Hopefully Hal Donna or Hawkman have some dialogues!

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
April is also the digital/physical release date for that animated Mortal Kombat film WB is releasing. While not entirely targeting the same audience, they may not want two R rated movies out at the same time in case they cannibalize each other.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think it's more likely to be a July/August release tied to a SDCC screening. At WonderCon, they might do a general preview of the movie and throw some hints about the Superman one coming out later his year.

Otaku-sempai

The cast list has been submitted to IMDb and most of it has already been accepted.

Edit (02/25): I had to re-submit four entries with sourcing, but they've all been accepted now.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
For those checking out the Justice League Dark: Apokolips War preview on the Superman: Red Son release, there's an interesting quote from Mike Carlin in it: "This is a great place to wrap up the storyline of this particular universe."

Keep that in mind...

Dallas Kinard

For those checking out the Justice League Dark: Apokolips War preview on the Superman: Red Son release, there's an interesting quote from Mike Carlin in it: "This is a great place to wrap up the storyline of this particular universe."

Keep that in mind...
Sounds like re-birth may be on the way!

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I found that interesting myself, along with the following statements:

''No way to prepare for how out there the climax of this movie is’’

‘’This movie is not designed to have a sequel’'.

All of which makes me wonder, are they completely bringing this universe/continuity to an end (Including designs/voice actors)? Or will the end of the film simply allow them to do their own ''Rebirth'' of sorts?

It's hard to say as they have already removed any real connection with ''The New 52'' concepts from these movies in the last few years and really carved out their own path.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out. But that preview has me incredibly excited.

Frontier

Staff member
I found that interesting myself, along with the following statements:

''No way to prepare for how out there the climax of this movie is’’

‘’This movie is not designed to have a sequel’'.

All of which makes me wonder, are they completely bringing this universe/continuity to an end (Including designs/voice actors)? Or will the end of the film simply allow them to do their own ''Rebirth'' of sorts?

It's hard to say as they have already removed any real connection with ''The New 52'' concepts from these movies in the last few years and really carved out their own path.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out. But that preview has me incredibly excited.
There's a third Teen Titans movie in production, so I don't think they're going to completely put an end to this continuity with this film, especially after all the work they put in setting up this universe and building on it.

Although it might be telling that the next film after this one, which would ostensibly be the second in-continuity film, is based around a Superman just starting out in his career.

TheGreatOne2

The world’s greatest Super Heroes square off once-and-for-all against the despotic Darkseid – with the fate of all humanity hanging in the balance – in Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, the next entry in the popular series of DC Universe Movies. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War arrives later this spring, and features the largest Super Hero cast in the history of DC Universe Movies with dozens of actors/characters spotlighted in a grand ensemble of talent reprising their roles from this six-year story continuum.

It says arrives later this spring so I believe a wondercon premiere

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I see the gradual elimination of New 52 elements less as the need to start a new continuity, but rather the lack of need for continuity in the first place.

Also, I understand the desire to keep the animated movies somewhat contemporary with the comics, but I also see a lot of comic stories from 1990s, the 1980s, and prior as an untapped well of ideas they should consider. We got three Batman stories from the 1980s, why not stories from the other heroes?

Dallas Kinard

I see the gradual elimination of New 52 elements less as the need to start a new continuity, but rather the lack of need for continuity in the first place.

Also, I understand the desire to keep the animated movies somewhat contemporary with the comics, but I also see a lot of comic stories from 1990s, the 1980s, and prior as an untapped well of ideas they should consider. We got three Batman stories from the 1980s, why not stories from the other heroes?
I hope we get back to the pre-tucker-verse when each film was stand-alone with a unique tone and art-style. I miss that so bad.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

They did just adapt the Death and Return of Superman in 2 movies so it's a good sign that they will continue to reach back to previous eras.

And we already have one stand alone a year plus the stand alones that aren't on the DCU line like the Batman vs TMNT or Batman Ninja movies. I think we're getting the best of both worlds already...

Frontier

Staff member
I think it would be a waste of ending the in-continuity films at this point after how long they've been doing them.

Like, is Peyton Lists' Batgirl ever going to pop up again? No resolution with Batman/Catwoman? Donna Troy Wonder Girl barely getting to do anything? Most of the Big Seven barely getting developed outside their pre-requisite Justice League appearances? If anything the in-continuity stuff has allowed them the ability to do stories and introduce and develop characters in a way they never would have with the standalones.

I know people want a return to how the films were like back when Timm was running things, but I just don't think that's going to happen even if they stop making in-continuity films.
They've been phasing out New 52 elements for a while now. It's why I'm still irked when people refer to this as a New 52 animated continuity.
They did just adapt the Death and Return of Superman in 2 movies so it's a good sign that they will continue to reach back to previous eras.
Not to mention Judas Contract.

Frontier

Staff member
Or the "climax" bit simply means the Justice League disbands after this movie.
Feels a little too Endgame. Maybe they go Unlimited ;).

I think this is definitely the "climax" of the story that set off this universe, the League vs. Darkseid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts