"Justice League Dark: Apokolips War" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A "Justice League Dark: Apokolips War " animated movie was announced for Spring 2020 at the San Diego Comic-Con.
Spring will see the release of Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, a follow-up to 2017’s successful Justice League Dark. One of DC’s few R-rated animated movies, Justice League Dark saw Batman helping to assemble a team of occult and magic-based heroes to combat a series of supernatural attacks. Featuring the likes of John Constantine (who was voiced by Matt Ryan), Zatanna, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Etrigan and Black Orchid, the 2017 movie blended heroics with horror, bringing some of the darker corners of the DC Universe to a broader audience.
While it’s unsure which heroes will be returning for Apokolips War, the title suggests we might be seeing some of Jack Kirby’s New Gods, meaning it likely has some pretty big stakes for the ongoing DC Universe continuity.
Source: DC Comics Blog

Stay tuned for further updates!
Comments?

Otaku-sempai

Are we sure about the spelling in the title? A story featuring Kirby's Fourth World characters seems more appropriate for the main Justice League team whereas I can much more see JLD becoming involved in an 'Apocalypse War' that is more clearly a supernatural threat.

EDIT: Okay, I see that the title is indeed given as Justice League Dark: Apokolips War on DC's site.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I can't say I saw this coming :eek:.

Well, it'll be nice to see the JLD characters together again, and having them go up against Fourth World characters is unexpected but should also be interesting :).

I assume Batman will still be in it because he was in the first JLD movie and he's Batman :p.

I hope we get to see a more Superheroic Zatanna, hopefully wearing her classic costume in action here ;).

I wonder if full-demon Etrigan will be involved? Maybe a new Dr. Fate? Be interesting to see if they add some new members to the group :cool:.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Really happy to see a sequel to Justice League: Dark as it was one of the best movies from the Tucker-verse.

Naturally, I assume Batman wll be making an appearance in this, so even though he doesn't get a full DTV, next year, the character will still have plenty of exposure as well as that DC Showcase short.

Frontier

Staff member
This showcase of images for the film was shown at the DC Universe panel at NYCC:

1Yjnod7.jpg

Frontier

Staff member
Cool, lot's of heroes showing up despite the title.
I'm curious how many of them will get lines or just get wordless cameos. Could be we get the most returning stars in a DC Animated Feature :cool:.
What's going on with Batman...
He's sitting on the Moebius Chair. It happened during the comic Darkseid War event :ack:.
Kid Flash by Superboy! I think.
I knew Superboy would join the Titans ;).

I think this would be the first appearance of Wallace West, the black Kid Flash. He's using the colors from his New 52 suit :).

Will they finally explain the old Kid Flash and his relationship to Flash :p?

And man, Damian got buff :eek:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
He's sitting on the Moebius Chair. It happened during the comic Darkseid War event :ack:.
So he literally became a Bat-God in the comics, lol.

I think this would be the first appearance of Wallace West, the black Kid Flash. He's using the colors from his New 52 suit :).
Something else I guess I should Google.

Will they finally explain the old Kid Flash and his relationship to Flash :p?
Maybe if there's a Teen Titans: Apokolips War or a Flash solo.

And man, Damian got buff :eek:.
Puberty is kicking in with teen Damian I guess.

Frontier

Staff member
So he literally became a Bat-God in the comics, lol.
That he did :p.
Maybe if there's a Teen Titans: Apokolips War or a Flash solo.
I'm down for either ;).
Puberty is kicking in with teen Damian I guess.
Love him or hate him, it's neat watching a Robin really grow up :).

Greg91

Reporter
It's interesting to see that they used the Justice League Dark to follow up that Reign of the Superman end teaser. I thought we were getting a regular Justice League movie to follow up that scene so when this was announced, I guessed it was some other Apokolips story instead of the big Darkseid showdown.

Seeing all those heroes looks so epic and makes me hope we see another Teen Titans movie with that roster (Kid Flash! Wonder Girl!! Superboy!!!). I actually really like this universe's Titans. I know Sam Liu stated there isn't another one in the works, but hopefully that's change in the near future.

I am interested to know why this is a JL Dark story and what those characters bring to this story that make them the titular characters instead of one of the many heroes seen in those images.

Frontier

Staff member
It's interesting to see that they used the Justice League Dark to follow up that Reign of the Superman end teaser. I thought we were getting a regular Justice League movie to follow up that scene so when this was announced, I guessed it was some other Apokolips story instead of the big Darkseid showdown.

Seeing all those heroes looks so epic and makes me hope we see another Teen Titans movie with that roster (Kid Flash! Wonder Girl!! Superboy!!!). I actually really like this universe's Titans. I know Sam Liu stated there isn't another one in the works, but hopefully that's change in the near future.

I am interested to know why this is a JL Dark story and what those characters bring to this story that make them the titular characters instead of one of the many heroes seen in those images.
Yeah, it's kind of funny that this is supposed to be a Justice League Dark movie, but other then Constantine and Batman we don't see any of the other members :p.

It'll be interesting to see if this is more of an "event" movie then a JLD film, what with all the different hero teams involved, although I doubt they would've used the group in the title if they weren't central to the plot :).

Maybe we'll see Zatanna sporting her proper costume this time ;)?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
He can't personally direct all of them ;).
Hmm. I wonder if Copeland did one more. Or maybe Butch Lukic since he's already been announced to be working on a DC Showcase short.

So it's just an original story taking inspiration from Darkseid War :).
And people will still think it's a Darkseid War adaptation. :p

Frontier

Staff member
Hmm. I wonder if Copeland did one more. Or maybe Butch Lukic since he's already been announced to be working on a DC Showcase short.
Lukic on an Animated Feature that's not Batman Unlimited would be really cool :cool:.
And people will still think it's a Darkseid War adaptation. :p
Well, they are using plot points, so :p...

Frontier

Staff member
I'll ask this, was the Dark team even involved in that story arc in the comics?
I don't think a single member of the animated roster showed up during it, to be honest. Aside from Batman, but that's obvious :p.

Speaking of magic heroes, I wonder if they'll finally explain where Shazam's been in this one.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't think a single member of the animated roster showed up during it, to be honest. Aside from Batman, but that's obvious :p.
Wow, I would have thought Zatanna at least.

Speaking of magic heroes, I wonder if they'll finally explain where Shazam's been in this one.
Detention for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts