"Justice League Dark: Apokolips War" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Audio commentary, SOLD.

90 minutes, DOUBLE SOLD.

Ernie Altbacker also credited with script, TRIPLE SOLD.

Though understandable, now with the release date in mind, I'm pessimistic of it being shown at WonderCon or there being a WonderCon at all because of Coronavirus concerns.

-batmat-

As always I will check out every movie that comes out from this line. But I am really tired of the New 52 universe, or Tucker Universe or DCAMU or whatever you wanna call it.

Justice League Dark was the only movie I kinda liked in this continuity, the rest have been pretty bland , at least , to my tastes.

The animation keeps getting worse, so I don't understand why they push longer runtimes now, I'd prefer if they would stick to 70ish minutes if that means using the budget for better animation.

I remain hopeful that one of these will surprise me, but Im not holding my breath.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
As always I will check out every movie that comes out from this line. But I am really tired of the New 52 universe, or Tucker Universe or DCAMU or whatever you wanna call it.

Justice League Dark was the only movie I kinda liked in this continuity, the rest have been pretty bland , at least , to my tastes.

The animation keeps getting worse, so I don't understand why they push longer runtimes now, I'd prefer if they would stick to 70ish minutes if that means using the budget for better animation.

I remain hopeful that one of these will surprise me, but Im not holding my breath.

I'm willing to take a hit in animation quality if it means a better fleshed-out story. As long as the animation and visual designs aren't hideous, I can get distracted from subpar animation if the story is engaging enough. I kind of agree with you, though, in that I feel like some of the recent movies haven't been as entertaining, and trying to tell a story this wide in scope over only a few extra minutes seems ambitious.

-batmat-

I'm willing to take a hit in animation quality if it means a better fleshed-out story. As long as the animation and visual designs aren't hideous, I can get distracted from subpar animation if the story is engaging enough.

100% agree, I think Flashpoint Paradox is one of those cases. I don't like the character designs in that movie on bit in general, so disproportionate and exagerated. But it's one of my favorite movies in the line by the story itself!

Marvelman02

I'm a little whelmed by the subject matter. It's everybody vs. Darkseid. Haven't we seen this before?

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
There's a bit of an Endgame vibe here, but bloodier. With all the history of DC and Marvel's aping one another, this isn't exactly surprising.

I have mixed feelings of optimism and skepticism about this upcoming film. Extending the length is important if you're trying to tie up a lot of storylines in one film. We saw that in Endgame, but that movie was particularly long. I'm not sure how much extra punch they will pack into 90 minutes instead of 78 or whatever, but in any case, more is better. Hope this becomes a trend instead of being a one-off.

I think in a story like this, there needs to be lambs for the slaughter. It's going to rub fans of whatever character kicks the bucket the wrong way, but a violent rebellion that goes south needs to have someone actual casualties. I know members of the JL get taken prisoner and get converted into Apokoliptan warriors, but if everyone ends up being saved in the end, it will feel like a copout. Then again, I do think we saw an R-rating, so I'm guessing there will be tangible losses. One gripe I had about Endgame is that (um, do I need to spoiler tag this, or is the movie old enough now?) there were no real tangible losses in the final battle until you know what. How is it that in all these huge skirmishes no good guy bites the big one? On the plus side, I like that the story is pretty ambitious. There really hasn't been a DC movie in which the heroes take one on the chin as badly as they have here.

Looks like they want to give all the characters who starred in a movie since Justice League: War a big part in this movie, except (very ironically) Batman. That in itself is a strange and new development. I guess WW also seems to have a small part in this, which is kind of too bad. Would've rather she had a big part in this kind of story than Lois... I've also got mixed feelings about the "badass-ification" of Lois in some of these films. Basically, I've complained a lot about how some of these action sequences get ruined when non-metas get too involved in the mix, dating back to the original Justice League cartoon and definitely a lot during Young Justice. It's essentially the same issue here, but maybe even more absurd because you're taking someone who was a civilian into her adulthood and making her a late superhero convert. Who knows, maybe it'll pay off, but in general leave the meta-work for the metas.

Frontier

Staff member
So far the animation is looking pretty good, more Reign of the Supermen and less Hush.
I think in a story like this, there needs to be lambs for the slaughter. It's going to rub fans of whatever character kicks the bucket the wrong way, but a violent rebellion that goes south needs to have someone actual casualties. I know members of the JL get taken prisoner and get converted into Apokoliptan warriors, but if everyone ends up being saved in the end, it will feel like a copout. Then again, I do think we saw an R-rating, so I'm guessing there will be tangible losses. One gripe I had about Endgame is that (um, do I need to spoiler tag this, or is the movie old enough now?) there were no real tangible losses in the final battle until you know what. How is it that in all these huge skirmishes no good guy bites the big one? On the plus side, I like that the story is pretty ambitious. There really hasn't been a DC movie in which the heroes take one on the chin as badly as they have here.
I can't think they would be killing off all these major characters, and so violently, if they weren't going to pull a reboot to undo it all. I mean, these movies generally don't pull punches with character deaths but I just don't see them going that far.
Looks like they want to give all the characters who starred in a movie since Justice League: War a big part in this movie, except (very ironically) Batman. That in itself is a strange and new development. I guess WW also seems to have a small part in this, which is kind of too bad. Would've rather she had a big part in this kind of story than Lois... I've also got mixed feelings about the "badass-ification" of Lois in some of these films. Basically, I've complained a lot about how some of these action sequences get ruined when non-metas get too involved in the mix, dating back to the original Justice League cartoon and definitely a lot during Young Justice. It's essentially the same issue here, but maybe even more absurd because you're taking someone who was a civilian into her adulthood and making her a late superhero convert. Who knows, maybe it'll pay off, but in general leave the meta-work for the metas.
The Batman movies in this line were generally focused more on Damian then Batman himself so I think it makes sense Robin is in a lead role moreso then Batman.

As for Lois...well, I think it's important to have the human element in there and she's important to Clark. I think it just depends on how far they go with what she can accomplish on her own, and obviously they're in a war-torn dystopian world now.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
So far the animation is looking pretty good, more Reign of the Supermen and less Hush.

I can't think they would be killing off all these major characters, and so violently, if they weren't going to pull a reboot to undo it all. I mean, these movies generally don't pull punches with character deaths but I just don't see them going that far.

The Batman movies in this line were generally focused more on Damian then Batman himself so I think it makes sense Robin is in a lead role moreso then Batman.

As for Lois...well, I think it's important to have the human element in there and she's important to Clark. I think it just depends on how far they go with what she can accomplish on her own, and obviously they're in a war-torn dystopian world now.

I think someone has to die, for the sake of stakes. Since I keep referring back to Endgame, I'd point out there was more than one death (just not as casualties of the super chaotic battle scenes... sort of...). Among the long-lasting impacts from "Crisis on Infinite Earths," Barry and Kara's deaths stand out. I think one of the weaknesses of the genre is that there are these massive melee battles and none of the heroes gets shot, crushed, clubbed, stabbed, etc. badly enough to die. When that happens, these fights become a little boring and stale.

Edit: I should say it's not like I want to see characters get killed, but after a while, these battle sequences get a bit repetitive, not just for DC animated movies but superhero films and TV overall. If you're going to do these epic, group battle standoffs, you have to do something a little different.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I think someone has to die, for the sake of stakes. Since I keep referring back to Endgame, I'd point out there was more than one death (just not as casualties of the super chaotic battle scenes... sort of...). Among the long-lasting impacts from "Crisis on Infinite Earths," Barry and Kara's deaths stand out. I think one of the weaknesses of the genre is that there are these massive melee battles and none of the heroes gets shot, crushed, clubbed, stabbed, etc. badly enough to die. When that happens, these fights become a little boring and stale.

Edit: I should say it's not like I want to see characters get killed, but after a while, these battle sequences get a bit repetitive, not just for DC animated movies but superhero films and TV overall. If you're going to do these epic, group battle standoffs, you have to do something a little different.
I think someone might bite the bullet, if only because that's how Constantine's solutions usually end up whether he wants them to or not.

drawangry

I don't think you need to worry, James Tucker doesn't have a problem with killing characters ie: Flashpoint, Suicide Squad, .... most of them actually.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think you need to worry, James Tucker doesn't have a problem with killing characters ie: Flashpoint, Suicide Squad, .... most of them actually.
I mean, in Flashpoint they undid all those deaths, and I think with Suicide Squad since it was all villains they had more leeway with who they could kill off.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If anything, it's a callback to The Flashpoint Paradox. Basically, this movie is this canon's version of the global war that happens in TFP, imo. Likely all civilians have taken up arms at this point in the movie just to survive or eke out a living. And she's also a general's daughter, in theory she might have had some experience with guns before she became a reporter - i.e. Sam is an advocate of making sure she knew how to use one to protect herself from a young age.

Frontier

Staff member
If anything, it's a callback to The Flashpoint Paradox. Basically, this movie is this canon's version of the global war that happens in TFP, imo. Likely all civilians have taken up arms at this point in the movie just to survive or eke out a living. And she's also a general's daughter, in theory she might have had some experience with guns before she became a reporter - i.e. Sam is an advocate of making sure she knew how to use one to protect herself from a young age.
Fittingly this movie universe kicked off with a war, and it's ending with a war ;).

And magic might save the day so let's throw in a "Dark" while we're at it :p.

Troy Troodon

I know this may come off as may being padantic but I must get this off my chest.

I really do feel this movie is trying too hard to be dark and violent already. Judging by some of the more cryptic criteria of one of the crew members, and from what I can make of the hints of all the deaths, it's possible this may lead to a rebirth style reboot, or just a general shift from the New-52 inspired universe for something more original, which I do hope for either way.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Two slight problems I have with the concept of the movie:

1.) Everything seems a little rushed. By all accounts, the Justice League's initial battle with Darkseid could have been a complete movie all on it's own, allowing it more breathing room. It would appear that this initial battle will be little more than a prologue in this film. This has been the major issue with this continuity for me in general. They jump around from concept to concept, cutting story/character potential to move on to the next ''event'' or idea. It means I never really cared for these iterations of the characters or the outcomes they face.

2.) Any death in this movie will have little repurcussions or any real meaning. So why are we meant to care? Constantine or Flash will simply do a little rejigging and everything will be reset. New designs, same voice actors, once more around the merry go round?

I'm excited for this movie, but it really all depends on where they intend to go from here.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Any death in this movie will have little repurcussions or any real meaning. So why are we meant to care? Constantine or Flash will simply do a little rejigging and everything will be reset. New designs, same voice actors, once more around the merry go round?

I wish everyone took this into consideration before adapting "Death of Superman."

Frontier

Staff member
1.) Everything seems a little rushed. By all accounts, the Justice League's initial battle with Darkseid could have been a complete movie all on it's own, allowing it more breathing room. It would appear that this initial battle will be little more than a prologue in this film. This has been the major issue with this continuity for me in general. They jump around from concept to concept, cutting story/character potential to move on to the next ''event'' or idea. It means I never really cared for these iterations of the characters or the outcomes they face.
Conceptually I can see how this could've been a two-parter, but considering how badly things end for the heroes both emotionally and graphically, I can see why they probably didn't want to have a whole movie that leads up to them in that position.

As far as "jumping around," I think that's an issue with serialized Superhero movie franchises in general. There's only so much breathing room you can fit in there. And that's taking into account that this version of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman have appeared in 5-6 movies apiece. I think they could have built things up a bit more before this but it seems there are plans or something motivating putting a cap in this storyline (and this universe) with this film.
2.) Any death in this movie will have little repurcussions or any real meaning. So why are we meant to care? Constantine or Flash will simply do a little rejigging and everything will be reset. New designs, same voice actors, once more around the merry go round?
I think we're supposed to care about the survivors and the resistance and how they have to face insurmountable odds to overcome Darkseid and find a way to fix things after they've lost so badly.

If they do reboot the continuity to some degree, I am curious what they'd change or what they'd keep the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts